Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192981 09-03-2016 04:54 PM
OP Offline

Hi all,
I thought it was an impacted wisdom tooth that really started bothering me around this time last year.
Long story short, I got the official word that it is cancer (malignant) in my left jaw. The oral surgeon that pulled my 5 teeth noticed the swelling was super bad and pulled a biopsy.
I'm now a new patient at Emory in Atlanta.
I just had MRI, PET/CT and CAT scans done this past Thursday so no one really knows a whole lot right now.
Well, except me who knows I'm in a helluva lot a pain most of the time and haven't been able to eat solid foods for many months since I can't open my jaw more than 1 cm.

Well.... here I am.
I needed someone else in boat to talk to.
Eric.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Eric
Crummy way to spend labor day - but Emory has a great hospital and you will be in very good hands. Once you have your scans back, I expect that things will start moving very quickly. Is there anyone in the Atlanta area to go to your consults with you? It helps to have someone take notes especially as you are in pain.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
OP Offline

[quote=Maria]Hi, Eric
Crummy way to spend labor day - but Emory has a great hospital and you will be in very good hands. Once you have your scans back, I expect that things will start moving very quickly. Is there anyone in the Atlanta area to go to your consults with you? It helps to have someone take notes especially as you are in pain.
Maria [/quote]

Thanks for the welcome Maria,
No, I have no family or good friends to drag me around. I don't drive anymore even though I'm only 56. My Dad (a retired pharmacist) was here from IL the other day to take me for the scans. My sister and step-dad are both Dr.s and I've given full permission for my Emory Dr. to discuss anything with any of them.

To be honest, I'm not really sure this whole thing has really hit me yet. I know I'm dam sick of seeing all these all you can eat buffet commercials on TV. They are killing me!!!
E.

Cancer is a shocking diagnosis. I'm sorry that you don't have someone local to help, but others on this site have managed. You might want to start compiling a list possible sources of support - maybe talk to the American Cancer Society, or your patient navigator or equivalent. It is overwhelming, but once you have a plan of treatment you will also have a plan of attack.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Eric! Im very sorry you have a need for our group, but fear not! We will help you with info and support.

Take it step by step. You will have to get back and forth to treatments if radiation is scheduled. Usually its 30/35 visits so 6 or 7 weeks of rads. the American Cancer Society (ACS) can help and they are available by phone 24/7 every day of the year so its ok to call anytime you want. The ACShas a volunteer driver program to help cancer patients get to their treatments and appointments. It usually takes a few weeks to get all the necessary paperwork set up so its a good idea to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Feel free to read posts and also the main OCF site to help educate yourself so you can be a strong advocate. With having doctors in your family they can also help you to understand everything you are up against. We will help get you thru, we have been in your shoes and understand the patients point of view.

Best wishes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy