Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi, all. My name is Chrissy. I'm a 43 year old stay at home mom to 3 amazing, but challenging,and silly kiddos.
My story... I've had a lesion on the right side of my tongue (about 1" long) for some time now. I tend to be one who doesn't like to complain, so I just blew it off thinking it was just an infection or maybe I had a sharp edge on a tooth that was cutting into my tongue.. I don't know, I just tend to think everything will heal itself and go away, so I'm not even sure how long it's been there, but it's been months at least. I recently had to go on antibiotics for an infection in my leg and when that resolved and I realized the strong antibiotics did nothing to help with the sore, I figured maybe I'd finally look into it. Two days ago I saw my doctor and while she danced around it, I could tell by her questioning what she was considering. I go for a biopsy on the 14th. Longest wait of my life. I can't even express that emphatically enough. I've been doing all the things I shouldn't be doing... googling and thinking the worst. I started doing my own little palpitations around my neck and jaw and have discovered some tenderness below my jaw, same side and area of my lesion.
Not really sure what I'm after by coming here already, I feel like it's probably not in my best interest because it's just feeding this doom and gloom take on it that I seem to have taken to. But... none the less... here I am. Nothing personal, hoping to not have to become a regular! Thanks in advance for any kindness and support that's coming this way.

Chrissy

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Chrissy, welcome to OCF! Im very sorry you are going thru this. If you would need our help, you are in the right place for info and support.

You sound like a very intelligent person who is trying to prepare for getting some seriously bad news. Not all lesions are cancerous so until the biopsy confirms its cancer repeat to yourself "its not cancer until the biopsy says it is". If the results come back with bad news you will find you are in the very best place for info and support. We will help you get thru this.

Ive found that when waiting for this type of thing if you stay busy it helps to make passing the time easier. Having 3 children to look after, you already have lots to keep you super busy. As you already have discovered, Dr Google can be more of a scary thing than helpful. Try to avoid it altogether to help avoid from the "what if..." thinking. You do not need any additional stress right now. Stress only makes this more difficult.

Hopefully you will not need our assistance but if you would we're here for you. Wishing you all the very best with this!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thanks, Christine. I'm obsessed and frankly am not handling the long wait well, lol. I tried to get an earlier appointment after I discovered another spot on the underside of the other side of my tongue last night, but no luck... he's booked. In the mean time I'm torn between trying to put it out of my head and educating myself to be prepared.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Chrissy,

What type of doctor have you seen already (general, dentist, etc)? What type of doctor are you seeing on 9/14?

Typically an oral surgeon or ENT will do a biopsy. The biopsy can be done in the office with a local or they may want to do a surgical biopsy at the hospital under general anesthesia. This all depends on what the OS or ENT determines is best after a physical exam of your mouth.

In my case I was referred by my primary care doctor to an oral surgeon, had to go back for a 2nd appointment for the biopsy, and then a 3rd appointment for the results.

When I suspected that I had a recurrence, my ENT/surgeon did a surgical biopsy in the hospital.

Waiting is the worst and I'm sure your anxiety level is high. Try to keep busy with other things and having 3 children can be a great distraction. Make a list of questions. Get a notebook or binder to organize your questions and information. I've found the OCF website (main pages) to be a great one-stop resource. Try to limit the amount of time googling your symptoms looking for a diagnosis - it just doesn't help!

Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
OP Offline

Thanks, Susan. The good news is I think I've reached the end of the Internet already, lol, so I'm over googling. I saw my primary doctor initially, who referred me to an ENT, which is who I will be seeing on the 16th (got my Dr dates mixed up, 14th is a different issue, different Dr). Patience is not even remotely my strong suit so I've been considering seeing my dentist for the biopsy because he can get me in sooner, but not sure if that's a good idea or not?? No idea if it makes any difference, if one is preferential over another for any reason? Thanks for your advice!

Chrissy

Last edited by MsChrissyG; 09-01-2016 11:19 PM.

Chrissy,

As far as I know, a dentist does not do a biopsy - they mainly take care of your teeth. However, they should be doing an oral cancer screening at each dental visit. Some dentists have devices (ex. Velscope) that may highlight suspicious tissue or they may do a brush biopsy, but to get a correct diagnosis you need to have a biopsy done by either an oral surgeon or ENT.

Make sure the ENT you are going to has surgical experienced with oral cancer. Waiting a few weeks to see an ENT without a confirmation of cancer is typical. I receive the cancer diagnosis on a Tuesday, and was seen by an ENT that same week because the oral surgeon's staff called to schedule the appointment.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members