Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

This is my first post. 5 yrs ago I had tonsil cancer. Successfully Treated with 7 chemos and 35 Radiations. Thought all was well. Then in Jan. 2016 developed sore under tongue. Turned out to be cancerous. Surgically Removed at Mayo with clear margins. All went well until May. Oral exam showed firmness. Biopsy of this showed microscopic cancer cells on perimeter of prior surgical site. Another piece of tongue removed. Good clearances established. Surgeon sent us to my radiation oncologist as recurrence had him concerned. RO told me reradiation was not recommended
Due to high risk of damage to carotid artery and jaw. Thought maybe pencil proton could be a possibility (Mayo did not have) so off to MD Anderson. MD Anderson thought there may be more cancer. If so, they would do partial tongue removal, possible partial jaw removal, lymph node removal and then reconstruction all in one 11 hour surgery. Radiation not recommended because of same risk. Went in to surgery 8 AM. At 10 AM surgeon came out to talk to my wife. Said multiple biopsies were done. All were negative. I should be watched every three months. Risk for recurrence was high. Now I'm one week out and already wondering when is it coming back. Have a call scheduled with my Mayo surgeon in two weeks to discuss treatment plan going forward. Not feeling good about this.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Lewis! Im very sorry to read about everything you have been thru.

Recurrences are everyones worst fears. They can be difficult to manage so its important you are going to a top CCC where they have the most experience with complicated cases. Would a third opinion from another CCC be something you could do? Its worth a shot to at least hear any options.

Best wishes with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Lewis,

I, too, would like to welcome you to the forum. My husband was given 70 grays of radiation and, at the time, we were told that it was the lifetime maximum. Eventually he received two more radiation treatments -- 20 grays each time over five sessions -- once to zap the swollen nodes in his airway and the second to clear the bacteria in his lungs from recurrent pneumonia. The RO was hesitant about the final radiation treatment as John was using up his "allowance" of radiation. You might be in a similar situation with regards to radiation.

Recurrence is an uncertainty and your doctors are right to want to monitor you closely. It maybe jumping the gun but do ask about the possibility of getting immunotherapy or getting into clinical trials if and when the need arises.

I wish you all the very best moving forward and if possible, please come back and update. The cancer treatment field is moving forward so quickly that it will help all those who are coming after to know what new treatments/options are available.

Do they have a counseling department at Mayo? It may help with your sense of uncertainty if you could go and talk to someone who has worked with cancer patients.

Last edited by gmcraft; 08-04-2016 09:28 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23