WE NEED YOUR HELP FOR RESEARCH ABOUT HOW HEAD AND NECK CANCER IMPACTS COMMUNICATION

Who is doing the research?
• Researchers in the Departments of Speech and Hearing Sciences, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, and Rehabilitation Medicine at the University of Washington.
What is the research about?
• We want to learn more about how head and neck cancer impacts communication in everyday activities. We are developing a questionnaire to use in research and in otolaryngology and speech clinics. The information you share will be used to develop and test this questionnaire. We also want to know about how treatment for head and neck cancer affects communication over time.

What will I be asked to do?
• There are a number of procedures that you may do, based upon your eligibility
• You will be asked to participate in the study two times. The sessions will take place 12 months apart.
• You will be asked to fill out questionnaires that ask about the impact of head and neck cancer on
different activities such as work and home, as well as other health symptoms
• You may mail the questionnaires from home or fill them out on a website
• You may be asked to participate in an interview to tell us what affects your speech
• Your participation is voluntary. The sessions will each take approximately 1 hour. You may be eligible
to participate in up to 2 sessions at each time point.

Who can participate?
• Adults who speak, read, and write English
• Adults who are 18 years or older
• Individuals who are at least 5 years post-treatment for head and neck cancer and who live at home
• It does not matter what kind of treatment you had for your head and neck cancer

Will I be compensated?
• You will receive $20.00 for completing the questionnaires and $20.00 for completing the interview to compensate you for your time.
• You will receive this compensation for each completed time point.
Does participation affect any treatment you are receiving?
• NO! Participation in this study is entirely independent of any medical treatment you may be receiving.
• You will continue your treatment as you wish regardless of whether you participate in this study or not.
You are free to discontinue your participation in this study at any time.
How can I learn more?
• You can ask your speech-language pathologist more about this study, or you can give them permission for the researchers to contact you. You can also call Tanya Eadie, Ph.D., at the University of Washington at 206-616-2753, or researchers in the Vocal Function Laboratory at 206-616-0312. The voice mail is private. Only researchers in the laboratory have access to the voice mail. You can also send an e-mail to: [email protected]. Please note: If you choose to contact us by e-mail that we cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any information sent or received in this manner.

QUESTIONS? PM ChristineB or contact Univ of Washington's Tanya Eadie thru the email or number listed above.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma