Sam, Your mum's situation sounds just like mine. I too had a large tumor at tongue base, plus mets to the lymph glands. My treatment plan was chemo and then radiation - no surgery. I am nearly three years past my diagnosis and still doing great.

The treatment will be tough and have some scary effects. Be prepared for the real risk of weight loss - lots. Nutrition is critical. My peg tube saved me repeatedly. Weight loss creates weakness which makes treatment tougher - or impossible. Find some good skilled care for her - to help you. Be involved in the decisions that get made about her care. Ask lots of questions. There is much you can do to help her through this - primarily: Don't try to do it all yourself. You need to be the cheerleader, the coach, the advocate and the memory. If you wear yourself out being all that AND the primary care taker - there won't be enough of you.

Your mum can do this. You can do this. Come to this site often and the knowledgeable folks here will coach and encourage you - and her. Get her on here too if you can. Fight hard. Be strong and be smart. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.