Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I feel kind of silly saying this when I am SO barely into treatment, but the first RAD I had, I got a very slight burning feeling in the back of my throat - more like the base of my tongue. I had my 3rd one today and again I have this very minor burning. I asked the techs about it today and they seemed very surprised that I would feel anything at all this early, and I remember the RO saying that I would probably be fine until between the 2nd and 3rd weeks. One tech even said today that they have "blocked that area" so they are even more surprised. Ok - so what does that mean - "blocked"? And the RO said the treatment area is from just above my right ear (he expects hair loss there), down my cheek and to just below the scar from my Parotid tumor removal on my neck. It seems like a pretty big area, but I know nothing about this stuff. Should I expect throat pain? Should I anticipate swallowing issues? My RO is being very vague and I know in time this will unfold on its own but I am much more comfortable knowing what is coming. I would sure very much appreciate hearing from anyone that has had a similar RAD treatment area. ANY info is much appreciated. Thank you!

1/11/16 Parotid Tumor Removal
1/14/16 Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma Dx Stage 2, Low grade
1/29/16 Tumor Board agrees 30 IMRT RAD
2/12/16 PET says no MET, but "bilateral tonsils reactive"
2/17/16 RAD treatment began
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There is a very small percentage of patients who have noticed discomfort from the very first day of rads (regardless of their tumor location). Everyone is a little different and will react in their own unique way to everything. Even in several patients with identical treatment plans of tumors the same size and location there can be a wide variety of differences. This is probably why your physician is being so vague. Its not possible to predict which side effects and to what degree a patient will experience them. Almost every patient will notice changes in their swallowing, sense of taste, pain ranging from a slight discomfort to debilitating pain and a sore throat. Many patients lose their voice during rads, like the other side effects its only temporary. To me, it sounds completely normal for you to react to rads like you have. Unfortunately, all the side effects gradually become more pronounced as you go along with the hardest days being after finishing rads. In doing a quick search here of the word Parotid, I found many posts referencing it as well as info on the main OCF website.

Parotid info from main OCF pages

Radiation info from the Main OCF site

When you have some free time, read thru posts here and check out the above links. You can also click on the blue phrases to get even more detailed info. An educated patient can be a much better advocate for themselves.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Thank you, Christine. I have read the links and appreciate the info. I know that Parotid Cancer is not very common and hope that there is someone else out there that has been through it. I see in your signature that you have sure been through a lot. My heart goes out to you and I am too very glad you are alive and have slain the beast!!! You are so strong and I hope to be the same way in my journey!!

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Tracy,
Although my original diagnosis was in the gum area, my recent recurrence involved the parotid gland and I just completed radiation in December. I had been through radiation three years ago so I knew what to expect. My side effects were more like Christine described: no noticeable effects until 2-3 weeks into treatment, with the worst being the two weeks post radiation. My radiation oncologist warned me about the side effects you mentioned, but I never did experience throat soreness or difficulty swallowing (other than swallowing problems associated with neck dissection surgery). I did have the skin breakdown externally during the last week of treatment and was told by the dermatologist to keep vaseline on it at all times. I found it very helpful to work with a nutritionist regarding things easy to get down and I use a vitamix blender to make smoothies to keep from losing too much weight. I lost my taste two weeks into treatment, but it now returning eight weeks after completing treatment smile Hang in there! It's not easy to go through, but stay positive and keep looking ahead. It does get better! smile Best wishes as you complete your treatment and for a successful outcome!

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection
OP Offline

Thank you so much for answering my post. I was starting to think no one would answer me. frown I am hoping to get through this with far less than what some people deal with. I am pretty strong and very determined to win.I'm embarking upon my first full week of RAD. Last week was just 3 days. I am going to take this one day at a time. Thanks again.

OES Offline

I also thought I felt something on my first few days. Then I did not again until two weeks in. What I was not prepared for was the feeling like things were still changing after I was finished.

Leonard
BOT T2N0 Diagnose Confirmed December 7th
Treatment Start Radiation January 11th Last treatment applied February 19th 2016
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Tracy,

Just catching up on posts here. How are things going now? I suspect you are feeling more of the side effects of the radiation. Keep posting with changes you feel and we can offer various experiences and things we have done to help out.

It is a rough road, no sugar coating that but with the support of us here it will make the journey more comfortable.

Take care
Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
OP Offline

I really felt kind of proud of my mental attitude regarding my RADs. I was so anxious and terrified at first but I settled right into my treatment schedule and have pretty much been a trooper. Now, I have completed 18 treatments and I am anxious all over again. I have lost a significant patch of hair in the back of my head (behind my ear) that I didn't anticipate. The RO had mentioned hairloss above my ear, but not behind. That really threw me - I know, just vanity. My throat is sore, my mouth sores are being pretty well controlled with Gelclair. It tastes awful (not really taste, just a bitter taste in my mouth for a long time). I have lost most of my sense of taste (bitter and sweet seem the best right now) which was expected. I have 2 really badly swollen Occipital Nodes in the back of my head that caused me great concern. The RO sent me straight back to the ENT surgeon and he confirmed that they are not cancerous, but highly pissed off lymph nodes from the RADs. That was a huge relief! I know that the worst is yet to come and I know that is weighing on me heavily, but I still remain more interested in knowing before it happens than being shocked and taken off guard as I was with this hair loss. 12 more treatments and I will be finished (hopefully). My RO has always said "approximately" 30 treatments which makes me a little nervous. I am seeing a psych that specializes in cancer and RAD patients. She says I am doing well and have "lots of great coping skills" but I am learning how to compartmentalize the fear and grief of the cancer dx so that it doesn't take over my life. I think overall I am doing well, but waiting for the other shoe to drop. RIght now, I am getting by with Percocet and Zofran for some nausea on occasion. I think I will probably need more in the next week or two. How do your guys think I am doing? I am still swallowing and eating, but soft foods and lots of water while eating. RO says I should be able to swallow throughout because just one side of my throat is being treated with Parotid cancer. We shall see.

how are you doing cannot see any posts lately same cancer here for me 22 rad. in 11 more to go did you get your taste back yet troylowe06

troylowe06 pariod gland removed 5-12-16 stage 2 cancer rad. tx started6-27-16 33 total to be done

Troy, unfortunately Tracy hasnt been back for several months so its unlikely you will receive a reply. Im hoping Tracy has made a speedy recovery and returned to their previous lifestyle and routines.

Ive sent you a private message (PM) with a link thats important. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab near the top center of the page.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma