Hi there,

My mother who is 86 years of age just got diagnosed with cancer on the tip of her tongue and she has lymph nodes in neck. The surgeon in Ireland where she lives, has recommended surgery. He thinks she's strong enough. They will go in through her neck and remove the lymph nodes (selective neck dissection) and there is a 50/60% chance of getting all the cancer. Has anyone known someone who has had this type of oral cancer and operation? I am headed over to her next week and I am printing out all information I can find for her as there's no wi-fi in her particular part of the country. I want her to be educated thoroughly about this.
Thank you!

I joined 12/2015 as my Mother who is in her 80's and lives in Co.Cork, Ireland (I live in New York)has an agressive case of cancer in front area of tongue and lymph nodes in neck. The surgeon has recommended removal of the lymph nodes and area of tongue. 50/60% chance he can remove it all. 15% chance she may not come out of the surgery. I have so many questions on how an elderly lady can cope with the after affects. She has agreed to the surgery first week of 2016.