Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I recived treatment for tongue cancer in 2013.glossectomy followed by IMRT. Recently i got checked by oncologist. He says it is fine.
I have issues which i thought are radiation side effects.
1. Tongue so sensitive that i can't chew any solid food.i make all foods in to puree, mix with milk or butter and gulp. Tried fuit juices, but find them tangy to my tongue . tongue gets burning sensation and feel as if it is washed with washing soap.
Inspite of several attempts trying various veg foods i could gain only 2 kg in last two years.My doctor says, radiation effets are sevete, since you are diabetic.(After radation i stopped sugar medicine as lels are well within norms) you eat well and it will be ok.but i could not.
2.I was a hypothyroid patient even before the diagnosis of tongue cancer and on thyronorm 50 mcg for last 5 years.i am sensitive to cold and had bodyaches.but i never had problem eith sitting before desktop pc and working for 3-4 hours.After radaition i lost lot of muscle and couldn't sit and back pain and butt pain became severe.it continued . Docotors opinion was you build muscle and it be ok.But as mentioned above food inyake also problem.
I lost my plant side job and even my hope of doing freelancing also is not working out.
Any one has this type of problem?
Could you find a solution?
Pls help

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Could you have thrush? Thats very painful and requires medication to get over.

As far as weight gain, this is a common problem for many patients. I lost 65 pounds from rads 8 years ago. It took until just recently before I was able to gain anything back.

Many patients have thyroid issues post rads and take meds. Once the thyroid conks out thyroid levels are checked at least once a year and adjusted accordingly. This is a permanent condition which is easily managed.

PS... Ive sent you a private message (PM) that has a link with instructions on how to add your signature. Its important to have this as it greatly helps us to understand where you are coming from so our replies will be more specific. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab. Thank you!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma