Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi all - I used to post on this forum relatively frequently when I had my initial treatment for SCC of the tongue back in 2008 - I was 29. Since then, I've had no significant recurrence scares. Life had pretty much gone back to 'normal' and I thought that being seven years since my original diagnosis - the statistical chances of ever having a recurrence were now pretty much 0%.

Fast forward seven years to today - and I'm really scared for the first time in a long time. I have developed a large lesion on the flap/graft in my mouth. (I lost 25% of my tongue in my original surgeries). This lesion is about 1cm x 0.5cm. I saw my GP today and he wants me to see the ENT asap. The GP also felt my lymph nodes and they seem to be enlarged on the left side - the same side as the lesion.

Is it even possible for a new tumor to form on the graft rather than the actual tongue? I always expected that if there ever was a new tumor - it would appear on the tongue itself, not the graft.

The GP did say that it could very well be an infection of some sort - so I'm trying to keep that in perspective. He is very thorough and did a swab to get me tested for (ick) herpes. But given the size of the lesion I'm really worried. I'm seeing the ENT next week.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome back, but sorry its for a problem. As a long time poster, you have probably seen this many time... everyone is different, even in cases where its a similar diagnosis and treatment, things will still vary. With that said, Ive seen instances where a tumor has been on the flap tissue. I advise you to get it checked out with your ENT. Im hoping its nothing more serious that an infection. Hopefully they can get you in quickly.

Please keep us posted.

PS... Ive sent you a PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi Tamarackl,

I was informed by an oncologist/ reconstructive surgeon at a world renowned hospital that cancer can form under flaps, at the midline of flaps, and at the borders so that would hold true for a graft as well.

I would highly recommended that you see your oncologist about this as soon as possible- preferably the doctor who constructed your graft/ flap. I would favor having a deep biopsy done under general anesthesia. Speed and accurate diagnosis are essential.

I am a recurrent cancer survivor. I was diagnosed at the age of 29 in 2005. I had my second recurrence in July 2015. Second cancers can be more aggressive. In my case it was more aggressive, and infiltrating, and grew at a very fast rate.

A few weeks ago I had a deep biopsy performed in order to not wast time with being misdiagnosed. I opted for a second partial glossectomy. I will be having low dose brachytherapy in the near future. I am still in recovery.

Please contact me if you need any more support.

Last edited by asegrove; 11-19-2015 03:53 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23