Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#191220 11-18-2015 10:36 PM
OP Offline

Hello, I'm thankful to find this group exists. My grandmother was just diagnosed this week with SCC of the hard palate, and I'm trying to help my parents and aunts and uncles understand the diagnosis and treatment options. My parents are still working on finding out details of the diagnosis since another sibling went to the visit. My grandmother has moderate dementia and some other medical problems which are really raising questions about whether surgery would be the right choice for her. Any thoughts on the many important questions to ask and re-ask and clarify would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Joe

Grandmother recently diagnosed with SCC of the hard palate
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Joe. Im so sorry you have the need to use our forum. You have found the very best online support group to help you with your grandmother. We can help you and your family with info and support. Our group is made up of oral cancer (OC) patients and caregivers, not medical professionals. We have first hand knowledge of all the ins and outs of OC.

There are so many questions to ask about treatments. Im so sorry dementia is part of your concerns with her. I would focus questions around what is the best way to treat your grandmother. Ask about side effects, any trials of promising new procedures, and how things will effect her current medical condition.

Surgery to remove the tumor would be the fastest way to eliminate the cancer. But, depending on location of the tumor it might not be an option. At this time, the only ways to eliminate the cancer are thru surgery or radiation with or without chemo. Alone, chemo will not get rid of the tumor but is used to help shrink it and for palliative uses. If she hasnt already had a second opinion its a good idea. If being treated at a Comprehensive Cancer Center (CCC) is an option that would probably be the best place to go. The best thing you can do to help her is to be informed, same goes for all your relatives. By educating yourselves about OC, you can all be strong advocates for your grandmother. AT a CCC, your grandmother would be treated using a team based approach which is where all the professionals get together to discuss each case individually. This is called a tumor board. The patient and caregiver can usually sit in on this meeting too. This is where all the questions can be asked, so everyones on the same page.

Best wishes with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy