Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#190599 08-28-2015 03:28 PM
OP Offline

Hi All-
I hope I'm posting in the correct section. Four weeks ago I had surgery to remove a recurring cancer on the left side of my tongue. I had a hemiglossectomg but it was more than half of my tongue. I'm starting to talk and people close to me can understand me the best. Eating is impossible at this point and I'm relying on the PEG tube.

I'm posting because I'm being suggested to have chemo with radiation. I know that this is usually standard after major surgery but this would be my second time receiving radiation to my oral cavity. I'm very concerned. My margins came back negative but because of perineural invasion in the past and present tumor and the pathology slides showed breakage of cell clusters from the main tumor they recommend another round of radiation but with chemo to sensitize the cells.

I'm torn because there is a chance I have no cancer and will go through treatment for no reason and will have to live with the long term side effects. Even with treatment there is a chance it could come back.If I don't do treatment and there is cancer there then it will be too late to do further treatment once it becomes visible on a scan. The question is do I toss the coin and take the chance? Quality vs quantity of life...

Very confused

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

That certainly is a very difficult decision you have to make. Im very sorry but no one here is really qualified to advise you what path to take. We are fellow OC patients/survivors and caregivers without the benefit of years of medical school and hands on practice. After being on this site for years, Ive learned quite alot about OC but still not enough to give my 2 cents. If I were in your shoes, I would probably seek out a second opinion at a CCC before committing to a treatment plan. But time is important too, I wouldnt advise waiting more than 2 weeks for the second opinion. You dont want the risk the chance of the cancer growing and becoming more difficult to treat.
Your situation isnt easy at all. I wish I could help you more with everything you are facing.

PS... Dont worry too much about posting in the right place. I can always move your post if needed.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

ChristineB-
Thank you. I did get a second opinion at the top cancer in NYC. I guess I just didn't like their brutally honest suggestions. Especially when they made me wait 4 hours for each appointment, looked over my records within 20 minutes and then recommended their most aggressive treatment that will leave me with severe side effects that I don't know if I could cope with.

Would you be able to direct me to forums with people who had radiation/chemo for a second time in the same location. Specifically the oral cavity. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hello, Keepfaith. I haven't had radiation twice but I've had recurrent tongue and oral cancers like you. Not so close together but three incidents all up. Your 2014 must have been very hard.

Because I haven't suffered too much from RT, I don't see it as a total life-changer. I'm certainly not qualified to advise you but a part of me wants you to have the treatment because it could save you from recurrences. If two hospitals have advised it ...?

What were the severe side effects they mentioned? Salivary glands, taste buds, jaw? I know people on this site have had RT twice but can't remember them describing the side effects.

I think what I would do is go back to the original doctor and thrash the issue out with him/her once again. And best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.

We have some members who have gone thru rads more than once. I even know of a few who did rads 3 times. Of course its very rare to find OC survivors who have been thru rads more than once. There isnt a special section these members stick to, they are here but they dont always check in on a regular basis. Hopefully one or more will reply to your post.

Wishing you all the very best with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer recurrences. This is so difficult; we all want to kill it dead forever the first time; having it return must be devastating.

Perfectly understandable to be confused. Given the facts. This is the third time you are dealing with cancer so you have more experience and knowledge than many of us here. You have received multiple opinions from top cancer facilities and if there is agreement with the recommended treatment plan that that is pretty much the way forward if you choose treatment.

I agree with others that only you can decide the path forward. We have zero personal understanding how life is for you on a daily basis and all the other facets of your life.

There are others here who have undergone multiple treatments who are active on the boards. Hopefully a few will offer their personal insights.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com

Keepfaith,

I'm very sorry to hear you are facing some tough decisions. I've been there so I know how you are feeling.

Months after my first surgery in 2005, I found out the hospital pathologist botched my biopsy and I had cancer at the margins. I went to 3 different hospitals (3 ENTs, 2 ROs) and had multiple tests to determine what to do. The recommendations varied greatly, and after many sleepless nights I opted for RT.

In January 2010 I found out the cancer was back (same location). Again, I went for multiple opinions, and got vastly different treatment recommendations which varied from very aggressive surgery to relatively "minor" surgery. Radiation was not recommended since i did and still have a host of problems because of RT. This time I went to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, which is one of the best in the US for H&N cancer. Best move I made. The doctor I saw was great, spent nearly an hour discussing my options with my husband and me, and most importantly I felt he was the right surgeon for me. His treatment made the most sense for me even though it was the least aggressive. So I had the surgery (clean margins) in April 2010. A year later I had another surgery due to dysplasia, but I've been in the NED category since.

Perhaps seek an additional opinion at Hopkins or MD Anderson (Texas) - both are rated as in the top 5 in the USA and I believe both offer a remote review of your case. In my situation, I was hoping there was a consensus on treatment recommendations by seeking multiple opinions, but there wasn't and ultimately I had to choose which treatment "felt right" and pray I made the right decision!

Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
OP Offline

Donfoo-
Thank you for your reply. I hear what you are saying about listening to all the different opinions my doctors are giving me. However, it is interesting how the oncologist have a different view from my surgeons. Did you ever meet an oncologist that didn't suggest RT?

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

yes... they do not recommend it if they feel you won't benefit from it.

my opinion for what it's worth.
You have a long history with this cancer - it is clearly aggressive and pervasive. Cancer can hide in the nodes. When its there it can sit and slowly seed to other areas. cancer is only picked up on a scan once it reaches a certain size. therefore it could be there still - on a microscopic level. Do you really want to hope it's gone? or do your best to ensure you've given yourself the best chance of survival?

having rads and chemo cuts the potential for recurrence in half (so if it's 50/50 then its now 75/25 - that's a big difference)- you've already had numerous surgeries to remove this - playing it safe hasn't paid off - there is no reason to believe that it will this time either.

Do the rads. do the chemo if they suggest it.

this cancer can be aggressive. Do all you can to kill it now.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23