Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#190381 07-29-2015 04:43 PM
OP Offline

I don't have cancer & I'm sorry if that offends anyone I'm just genuinely worried about my health, I'm not expecting anyone to diagnose me or anything just wondering if anyone has had similar feelings. This is unlike anything I've ever had!
So for a while now I've been having these weird feelings of just being out of it, just not well. Spacey i guess you could call it & extremely tired (I work full time & am a single mother of a 3 year old so I didn't think much about how tired I've been). I've also had weird pressure, headaches and pulsing feelings in my head. My Dr had me get some labs done which were all normal, aside form my Thyroid levels being low. I had an ultrasound done and they saw a "lump" in my parathyroid area (they said probably just an enlarged lymph node), so they had me get more labs for my calcium levels & parathyroid levels. Everything was normal. Well the other day I noticed a bubble like "sore" under my tongue on the floor of my mouth, white-ish yellow-ish patches on my gums, my right tonsil is swollen, & the back of my throat just looks all around nasty. While I usually wouldn't get myself too worried about this kind of thing I'm just a little concerned because it looks like I should be in pain but I feel nothing at all. I probably wouldn't have even noticed any of the other stuff until I felt the little bubble on the floor of my mouth. Also today I noticed my throat is really red & I have two dark red patches on the inside of my lower jaw right below my molars & a few more little "bubbles" on the floor of my mouth. It looks even worse and I still don't feel any pain, no sore throat or scratchy feeling, just nothing. I noticed an aching feeling under my jaw and into my neck. More achey muscley type pain & not sore scratchy throat type pain. Like I said I wouldn't usually worry about this but I'm experiencing NO pain at all & it bothers me that I don't even know how long some of these sores have already been there because there was no pain to let me know they were there. It's all just bizarre and I was in tears today because it just looks so bad.. Might I add I'm a smoker, but havent smoked in the past two days because of this. I saw my doctor & he wrote me a prescription for Zithromax (which I started yesterday) & for nystatin to swish around my mouth. I honestly feel in myself that something's wrong but I was wondering if anyone has had anything like this? & if antibiotics don't work what would be my next step?

abarteau #190382 07-29-2015 07:10 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If you are concerned enough to research your symptoms, found this site, joined and posted then you must be pretty upset. Our group understands your feelings. Hopefully you have nothing more than being alittle tired from chasing around a 3 year old.

Around here we have a saying... If a sore in your mouth does not resolve itself within 2-3 weeks then its time to seek out a professional. By a professional, I mean an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. Im not saying this because of reading something of concern in your post, so please dont jump to conclusions and worry even more. Your sore should heel within that time. Without a biopsy, its just an educated guess what it could be. The biopsy will determine what the sore is and then you can take it from there on what options you have.

I hope this turns out to be nothing serious. Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
abarteau #190383 07-29-2015 08:31 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for taking the time to read & respond to my post.

My dr also just told me to keep an eye on it for a few weeks and to come back in if it doesn't resolve or if it gets worse. It just makes me nervous because I discovered all of these other sores after the one popped up and I'm not sure how long they've already been there. I didn't know I had anything going on because I have absolutely no pain in my mouth.

If I've gotten anything out of this I don't even want to touch a cigarette now.
But again thank you for taking time to respond to this! I will update this when I know more.

abarteau #190405 08-04-2015 10:17 AM
OP Offline

So I just kind of wanted to update this because I'm not really sure what I should do about this now. I took a full course of antibiotics. The sore under my tongue seems to have resolved but my throat is still red and my tonsil is sticking out. I now have pain more often on that side of my throat like on my neck and not orally. I still don't feel any soreness in my throat (maybe a little scratchy-ness) but I've noticed my voice going hoarse (but goes away when I clear my throat) every now and then. I'm still pretty fatigued and I get these weird headaches. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, I followed up with a nurse practitioner in the office and she didn't seem real interested in the situation and just sent me on my way. I just really REALLY haven't felt well in a while, even since before I discovered this mess in my throat and I know somethings not right. Maybe it's not cancer, but somethings different and I feel like no one will listen to me.

abarteau #190406 08-04-2015 01:03 PM

Have you seen an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients? If not, then I suggest making an appointment to get yourself thoroughly checked out. Make sure you get an appointment with the right type of ENT, not the kind who primarily puts tubes in kids ears. If you are seeing a regular family practitioner they might not be familiar with oral cancer or its symptoms.

Obviously something is wrong or you wouldnt take the time to post here. Remember, stress and anxiety over "what if" can make symptoms appear worse than they are. Im not minimizing what you are experiencing at all so please dont think Im making light of your situation. You know your body the best and know when something is off. Not knowing whats wrong when you feel something isnt right is an awful feeling. Having the nurse practitioner not pay attention to what you are saying is not a very nice way to treat patients!

Hope you can find out whats wrong soon. Hopefully its not cancer and can easily be fixed. If it would be cancer, you are in the right place for info and support.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
abarteau #190412 08-05-2015 03:54 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. The fact that the sore resolved bodes well.

Some people are more prone to tonsil and throat issues and allergies could very well be a possibility. It's certainly been a heck of an allergy season where I'm at so I imagine it may be the same where you're located. It's prudent, especially in light of your concern over this to be examined by an ENT that is experienced in H&N cancers. The reassurance will be worth the money.

Positive thoughts

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
abarteau #190459 08-12-2015 10:33 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I decided to wait it out a little longer to see if it would just clear up on its own, but it's been another week or so now and if anything things have gotten worse. Antibiotics & time hasn't healed it so I'm going to see an ENT asap to get the help & reassurance I need.

Thank you both again, & I hope you're both doing well.
If this does turn out to be anything serious I'm glad that I'm already signed up here for further advice/support.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics