Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I have flexible bridges. . Love them. periodontist suggested it after I had to have a implant removed due to radiation scatter.
What's good about them is they are very light weight , you can eat with them . the turn over to get them back is under a week . Teeth can be added to them.
I think the tech company is Valplast but my dentist said ..just say they are similar to flippers but better...
Personally I would not get any bridges made until after rad because your mouth ,bite changes. I don't know why but it does. Also your mouth is being radiated and it causes many to get raw ,burns and sores. It would be impossible to wear a bridge.

Last edited by leslier; 07-17-2015 08:26 PM.

2011- dx tonsil cancer mets lymph nodes stage 4
No surgery
no hpv
2011- 35 rad, 70 gy. 2 cisplatin Chemo
2013 -saliva stone removal upper pallet
2014 - Dental implant removal from rad scatter.
2014- 30 hyperbaric oxygen dives
7/2015 Scc skin cancer ear canal mets from cancer radiation treatment
9/2015 Skin cancer surgery and reconstruction graft.

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

What you are referring to is not a bridge, it is a temporary removable appliance used primarily as a transitional esthetic piece while something more permanent designed to be permanently affixed in the mouth is made. There are many reasons not to do one of these right now and the biggest in my mind is that they partially rest on soft tissue which is really sore area during treatments.

Again I would not worry about esthetics when treatment needs to get done and anything that delays that is not a good thing in my mind. And just to correct the post above since a bridge is cemented on remaining teeth or implants, it does not rest on any soft tissues and would be definitely more tolerable than a removable "flipper" (a derogatory term for the temp appliances because you can "flip" them around in your mouth with your tongue and dislodge them).

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Kate12 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone. The flexible bridge is called Valplast, and it is temporary. Brian your insights about how useful this would be for bottom front teeth is appreciated. Therapy started Monday, without teeth, with first Cisplatin infusion and radiation. Will be researching a knowledgable dental provider to have something lined up for when treatment ends. Am hoping his mouth is not so sore that he won't have to wait to long. I am frantically researching things we can do to minimize oral side effects. Only 3 rad sessions so for and all OK. Only 27 to go.

Kate, wife of husband with
May 2015, SSCA left lateral tongue, T2N2bM0 Stage 4 , Age 58
06/01/15, L hemiglossectomy, modified L radical neck, clear margins, 2 nodes positive, no extracapsular extension. Perineural invasion on lingual nerve in tongue.

Tx completed 8/28/15, IMRT and 2 high dose cisplatin.
12/15 negative PT scan
5/16 negative PT scan
2/16 fitted with partial denture
12/16 3mm area of exposed mandible identified. Started on pentoxifylline regime
3/17 completed 40 HBO dives.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260