Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189535 05-12-2015 11:55 AM
Viv12 Offline OP
OP Offline

I have had white and red patches on both of my inner cheeks and the sides of my tongue since last summer. They don't really hurt. My dentist sent me to a oral surgeon and he tried various ointments, salves, and even oral steroids to no avail. Last week he did a biopsy and I got the results today. He said he will see me again in 3 months unless it changes than I am to go back for him to take a peek. Right now we are not treating it, just watching it.

Naturally I am scared to death. Here is what is on my pathology report:

Comment: This specimen exhibits a few features of, but is not diagnostic for, lichen planus. If the pathosis represents lichen planus, it should migrate and change patterns; otherwise, the possibility of a contact hypersensitivity reaction or an evolving epithelial dysplasia cannot be ruled out.

Diagnosis: Buccal Mucosa: Hyperorthokeratosis, Hyperparakeratosis, and chronic mucositis. (See Comment)

Has anyone else had anything like this? If so what was the outcome? Is this considered a pre-cancer?

Last edited by Viv12; 05-12-2015 11:56 AM.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lichen Planus does not always turn into oral cancer. Here are a couple links for more info about it.

Oral Cancer Foundation-Linchen Planus

American Academy of Oral Medicine-Linchen Planus

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Viv12 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Christine,

Thank you! They pretty much ruled out lichen planus - the report says, "This specimen exhibits a few features of, but is not diagnostic for, lichen planus". Mine doesn't move so that is why they cannot rule out an evolving epithelial dysplasia. So naturally I am freaking out and scared. frown

"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dysplasia doesn't necessarily turn into cancer either. You oral surgeon did the right thing by biopsying it and now you are being watched. I don't know what can be done to prevent these non-cancerous conditions in the mouth but you could discuss this with your doctor. What is the contact hypersensitivity for example? I had this sort of thing for decades but the oral surgeon I saw didn't biopsy it, saying it was typical lichen planus. Your surgeon is onto it so I think you should not let it freak you out; just take good care of yourself and be vigilant.

Best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

They said contact hypersensitivity. That would be more concerning and likely something you can deal with. In those areas do you have sharp teeth, caps or fillings? I'm assuming you don't use chewing tobacco or smoke.
One of the suspected causes of this cancer in people who have no precursors (occasional drinker, non smoker, non HPV) would be chronic irritation. In other words something there is irritating that patch of skin.

In my case it was a very sharp tooth, and a sensitivity to the amalgam in the cap that was put in place. (which can mimic lichen planus) Follow that route and see where it takes you... but I'm glad your biopsy results are clear.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Im sorry, I misread your post. Please understand, this board is made up of patients/survivors and care givers not medical professionals. Take a look at the first link I posted, there is info about dysplasia and many other things.

Best wishes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Viv12 Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Alpaca]Dysplasia doesn't necessarily turn into cancer either. You oral surgeon did the right thing by biopsying it and now you are being watched. I don't know what can be done to prevent these non-cancerous conditions in the mouth but you could discuss this with your doctor. What is the contact hypersensitivity for example? I had this sort of thing for decades but the oral surgeon I saw didn't biopsy it, saying it was typical lichen planus. Your surgeon is onto it so I think you should not let it freak you out; just take good care of yourself and be vigilant.

Best wishes. [/quote]

Thank you Alpaca! smile

Viv12 Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=Cheryld]They said contact hypersensitivity. That would be more concerning and likely something you can deal with. In those areas do you have sharp teeth, caps or fillings? I'm assuming you don't use chewing tobacco or smoke.
One of the suspected causes of this cancer in people who have no precursors (occasional drinker, non smoker, non HPV) would be chronic irritation. In other words something there is irritating that patch of skin.

In my case it was a very sharp tooth, and a sensitivity to the amalgam in the cap that was put in place. (which can mimic lichen planus) Follow that route and see where it takes you... but I'm glad your biopsy results are clear.

hugs.
[/quote]

Thank you Cheryld! I wear a mouth guard at night for bruxism and I bite my cheeks sometimes, even with the mouth guard. I did mention that to the oral surgeon but he didn't know. I am planning on going to see an ENT for a second opinion so maybe he/she can offer more insight.

Take care. smile

Viv12 Offline OP
OP Offline

[quote=ChristineB]Im sorry, I misread your post. Please understand, this board is made up of patients/survivors and care givers not medical professionals. Take a look at the first link I posted, there is info about dysplasia and many other things.

Best wishes. [/quote]

Thank you ChristineB, I understand and I appreciate your help, thank you. smile

Last edited by Viv12; 05-13-2015 05:28 PM.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

GOOD LUCK!!!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics