Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Neicy Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Ok, so I had my surgery on April 22. They took off part of the right side of my tongue and a fairly large piece out of the floor of my mouth. They sutures are still in there. I have another appt. May 13th with the surgeon. I also had a right neck dissection.
My tongue isn't as painful, but the underneath part feels like it is tightening up as it heals. Like the movement in my tongue is becoming slowly more restricted. It is still painful, but I guess that's normal. Is this usual? I also feel like my neck is awfully tight. Having ongoing pain to area behind and below right ear on my head. Like this weird headache feeling. My right ear is numb...it could fall off and I wouldn't even feel it. Also, there is quite a bit of pain remaining to the right clavicle area and shoulder.
I guess it's just nerve damage. Has anyone else had this?? I am hoping to return to work within 3-4 weeks. Don't know about that at this point. If I talk too much, my mouth really hurts.
Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Denise
Were you given a set of exercises for the neck and shoulders? They really help and are not arduous. If you haven't got the exercises maybe you should ring the surgeon's nurse to ask about it.

From my experience, scarring can tether the tongue down somewhat. I'm not sure if tongue exercises can assist here but can reassure you that I managed to continue in a job that required a lot of talking after my first surgery resulted in a partial tethering of my tongue.

I think you'll notice a big improvement in three weeks but don't go back to work too early!!

The numb earlobe seems to be par for the course.

Wishing you well
Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.

Hey Denise,
Hope your situation has improved and you're feeling better.

When I had my partial glossectomy/neck dissection my surgeon stressed the importance of stretching my neck so that I would have more mobility. I would just move my head as much as I could left to right and up and down and hold it there for several seconds. I probably did that for several months to prevent me from just wanting to look straight forward.
That really helped.

My speech therapist also gave me exercises to do with my tongue to prevent the scar tissue from limiting the movement of my tongue. One exercise was "tongue push ups", where I would have to push my tongue against a tongue depressor several times a day. Also, I would stretch my tongue side to side and up and down and hold it in that position for several seconds.

The numbness takes time to go away and is different for everyone. It took about 8 months for my smile to look normal again because of the nerve damage. The feeling on the left side of my face is starting to finally feel the same as the right side and its a year later. Ive also learned to get use to it and it doesn't bother me as much.

My partial glossectomy was in April 2014 and I was able to return back to work September 2014. I had to have radiation during that time so it took longer to heal, otherwise I would have probably been able to return sooner.

How are you doing now? Were you able to return to work within 3-4 weeks after your surgery?

Sending positive energy your way,
Erica

Tongue Cancer 2004- biopsy irritated skin, 2014 biopsy precancerous, February,2014 partial glossectomy- diagnosed with microscopic cancer- April 2014- partial glossectomy- microscopic cancer /cancer in nerve, June 2014- external radiation July, 2014, brachytherapy, July 2015 biopsy- cancer (about 2 cm)/also in nerve moved more toward front of tongue, August 2015 Hemiglossectomy reconstructed with arm flap 2/3 tongue removed

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics