Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Neicy, you probably will need some sort of assistance. Many here were unable to drive or 100% care for themselves during rads and recovery. Anyone who offers their assistance tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do. For now take down their contact info. Dont be too proud to take help, we all need a hand from time to time.

Cancer has a strange way of changing who we are closest with. Some close friends and relatives will run for the hills not being able to handle facing your illness. Others who you barely know will step up to the plate and be there for you. Maybe its the fear of facing their own mortality that spooks some? I dont know???

Call the American Cancer Society immediately. They have volunteer drivers who might be able to help you get back and forth to your treatments. Ive gotten this type of help before and I also drive patients to their appointments. This is a great service, I hope you can use it. I suggest you attempt to line up helpers. If you are able to line up 5 people they could each take a day of the week and be your chauffeur to get you back and forth to treatment, maybe occasionally substituting someone from the ACS. Then line up 2 others who will check on you over the weekends. Going thru OC treatments is something that taught me (I was always overly independent) its ok to lean on others sometimes and people really do want to help but arent sure what they can do. The ACS also can help you pay for your transportation to treatments or a voucher at the pharmacy to help cover your prescription co-pays.

Intake is the number 1 priority! This is something I cant stress enough. Starting right now, you need to hit the minimum numbers of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water daily. No skimping as it quickly turns into a habit and skimping is NOT ok. If you can take more in (like 3000 or 3500 calories daily) that will only help you get thru this easier. I have a habit of nagging members about their intake. Ive been hospitalized several times for malnutrition and dehydration so PLEASE pay close attention to what Im telling you. I know what Im talking about! As far as fluids go, ask your doc for an open prescription to get extra hydration from the facilities chemo lab. This will instantly help you to feel better when the going gets tough and you struggle with your intake.

A feeding tube is not automatic. I would ask your physician if you require one. I had one and couldnt have gotten thru it without it. Others have done it without and and managed just fine. One big difference in how easily you get thru this is if chemo is given. Those who didnt have chemo usually have a slightly easier time of it. Also speaking of chemo... Ask your doc if you can have the smaller weekly doses as those are usually easier to tolerate than the 3 big doses.

As far as juicing goes, you will probably want to save that for well into your recovery. Most fruits are acidic and will burn your sensitive mouth and throat. Dairy usually has a calming effect on delicate mouth tissue. Smoothies and milkshakes that arent too thick will probably work best for the next few months. When I did rads, I rediscovered the oddest drink that really felt soothing to my sore throat, ice cold Yoohoo. I hadnt drank it since I was a kid but loved it during rads and recovery. Your sense of taste and swallowing will change during rads so be prepared to not always like everything you currently do. Eat as much as you can now so you dont go into this having cravings.

Another common denominator Ive noticed in those patients who had an easier time is they would continue to do light exercise during their treatments. Even a short daily walk was a help to keep them active and feeling better. Always protect your skin from the sun, especially during rads. Wear a hat and sunscreen. Never use lotion or sunscreen before you go to rads as it could interfere with your treatments.

READ, READ, READ and educate yourself. An informed patient is their best advocate. You will learn everything Ive written and tons more by reading the forum posts, its all there to be absorbed. Keep in mind everyone is different and will have a slightly different experience. Im hoping if you can push yourself with your intake that this will be not too difficult for you. We are always here to help. You can lean on us, we will get you thru this and back on the road to good health again.

Good luck!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Neicy Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Thank you Christine for all the information. I am still waiting on pathology results. If I need radiation, I will be calling the ACS right away to set up help with rides. I am going to start walking around my apt complex tomorrow. I am trying to lay off the pain meds so that I can drive myself places. Sometimes just getting out to the market lifts my spirits.
Yes, the intake issue is going to really be the challenge. Well, probably by the time any radiation would start, my tongue will have healed some more. Right now, the surgeon said "advance diet as tolerated". Well, I honestly can't tolerate much. The side of my tongue feels totally raw and the underside where they took a piece of the floor of my mouth feels tender as well. So I am not moving my tongue around a whole lot which makes eating difficult. Today I have only had one Naked Juice protein shake, a Chobani yogurt, a bit of chicken salad, (like less than 1/4 cup), a bit of chicken soup and two 16 oz bottles of water. Not a whole lot. And getting even that down took major effort.
I am afraid of using too many pain pills and then they won't give me more. I am just gonna try to relax and see what happens with the results. Thanks for all of your help. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years

Recovery from the major surgery you just had takes time. For most patients in their mind, they can never get well faster enough. If you can boost your protein intake it should help with healing faster. Peanut butter is a great source of protein and can be easily added to milkshakes.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Neicy, make every mouthful count. For example, putting peanut butter in your smoothie adds calories but not the amount you have to consume. You may need to figure out the caloric value of what you are consuming but it is worth it.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Neicy Offline OP
OP Offline

Pathology results came in today...all is clear! I do not need radiation or chemo. I am so relieved I cannot express how I feel. I will have to be checked every month for the next year.
So, why do I still feel weird and worried? I asked if it could come back (stupid question, I know). He said yes, this is an aggressive type of cancer. So, now I am thinking that what if it comes back and they have to keep taking pieces off my tongue.
I HOPE I AM NOT BEING A TOTAL PAIN IN THE BUTT. I am so grateful and relieved. I feel like I am an ingrate for not feeling totally relieved. Anyone else have these muddy feelings?? Trust me, I know how lucky I am. I guess I am grateful but still kind of scared. Best to all. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years

Congrats on the great news!!!!

What you are experiencing is completely normal. You arent alone with your feelings, the "what if I have a recurrence" plagues all of us. Its only natural to be afraid of going thru this again down the road after what you have already gone thru.

Try your best to limit your "what if" thinking to maybe 5 minutes at a time and then "change the channel" and force yourself to concentrate on more positive thinking. This isnt easy but with practice you can do it.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Great news Denise. Feeling worried is normal! At least you'll see a doctor frequently so you'll be able to ask questions every month. You are still being well cared for. And they have ways of reconstructing tongues, not that it will come to that.

As a cancer patient it's hard to stay calm at times but the anxiety wanes over time.

Wishing you well.
Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Okay... if he believes it will come back why the hell isn't he sending you for rads and chemo to kill anything else that may be lurking???????!!!!!!!!

Honestly!!!

If this is aggressive the next line of defense is rads and chemo. Likely no chemo - a friend who used to be on here all the time. She had a small - I mean VERY SMALL - tumor. Dr had a feeling it was aggressive. So he did the neck dissection and found a node, then sent her for chemo and rads. She's fine now.

I just don't understand the mind set of some drs.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users