Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#189209 04-16-2015 06:14 PM
Neicy Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi. My surgery is now moved to Weds. April 22. I know there is a chance they will only have to remove less than 1/4 of the right side of my tongue and maybe just graft it...possibly just suture it if they remove even less. Not quite sure on all that. They are going to do a right neck dissection also.
I have had surgeries before, but there is something about someone cutting my tongue that just is freaking me out. I have been thankful that they found this at the dentist early on. I took the next few days off work cause I work night shift and I just need to sleep regular and stop talking to people about it at my job, even if they do ask out of concern.
I am just nervous I guess cause I don't know what I will be waking up to. The surgeon said he can't make promises till he gets in there. It will take about a week to a week and a half to get the results on the lymph nodes back.
How long did any of you take for your tongue to heal up if it wasn't a full half taken off? Sorry for sounding like a whiney big baby. I am thankful I have insurance, friends and a CCC to go to so close to my place. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

You are not whining. It's not very nice surgery even if it's just a sewn up excision. It takes a while to get over the neck dissection so even if the tongue surgery is quite small you're looking at a couple of weeks for things to be back in working order. I've always healed quite nicely and I'm sure you will too.

I'm one of a very small group who get recurrent primaries so don't freak out when you see my signature. My first oral cancer was minor with no neck dissection. It was an over night stay in hospital from which I recovered quickly. But a neck dissection involves a bit of drainage so might take a wee bit more hospital time.

I've found with both neck dissections that I have had to do the prescribed head and neck exercises religiously to get full movement in neck and arms back but each time it has come right.

It's amazing how we heal and the body adapts. Enjoy your food before you go in because you'll be on soft food for a little while. I'm falling asleep so hope this makes sense. All my best wishes, Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Neicy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the remarks Maureen! I really haven't been too worried or scared up until the past couple of days. I have a couple of friends who are going to help me financially (make my car payments, etc) if I have to be out of work for an extended period due to having to go for radiation/chemo. I appreciate all that. I am just starting to feel like this could go down the crapper for me. It's frustrating that we will not have the results of the node biopsy for over a week after surgery. I guess if there is something there, it might be obvious at surgery and I will find out when I wake up. It could go great, and I will only have 1/4 or less tongue removed and then have clear nodes and not need radiation/chemo. It could happen. I guess I am just feeling kind of scared and bummed out...starting to feel like that isn't going to happen. I will have to just go thru with all this and see what comes of it.
My friend is coming Thurs-Mon night. I hope I am home by then. The surgery is Weds. My sister said she could come up from Florida, but I want to save her visit till after I find out about radiation/chemo. I figure I may need help once side effects kick in if I do need to have those things. I figure I can wing it on my own after my friend leaves. I have a few friends in town who can stop in, etc if need be. I figure I won't be doing much more than taking pain meds and laying on the sofa anyway.
I better stop feeling sorry for myself, cause it just makes it worse. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

You're allowed to feel sorry for yourself!!! The uncertainty is horrible. If you can, just take it a step at a time. Get through the surgery and then deal with the node results when they come in. By then you will just be glad to be feeling a bit more like yourself again. I totally understand how you are rationing your sister and friends:)

Radiation/chemo requires daily trips into the hospital. I found I needed help with that after the first week or so. I kept a diary as I went through it but haven't looked back at it. The whole time is just a blur now and it's not even a year since I finished. I think I watched multiple seasons of Breaking Bad. It's a time in your life when there's every excuse to binge-watch stuff.

Best wishes for your surgery.

Maureen

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Neicy Offline OP
OP Offline

Tomorrow is my surgery. I wish they would call and tell me to come down right now! Nervous for sure. Will post next time I am able and let you guys know how it went. Thanks for the encouragement. It is much appreciated. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You'll do okay. It's not an easy surgery but you'll be okay. Hugs...

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Good luck to you! It helped me to take one thing at a time. Get through the surgery THEN worry about rads and/or chemo.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

31 @ Dx SCC of tongue right side May 27, 2011, no tobacco, light drink
Partial gloss. and ND June 2011 - 2 jaw nodes positive ("encapsulated")
33 rads ended 10/21/11.
Dx Non small cell lung cancer 05/18/15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users