Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LWP Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Well, it's been a long time since I posted! I finished my rads on June 30th. I thought that it was reasonable that I go back to work in October, but my Oncologist recommended that I take off to January. Flash forward to December and I still had about 5-6 hours of 'good' energy a day. That is not enough to get to work, work, and come home and deal with two teenage girls!

I am very fortunate to have a LTD plan that allows for 2 years off, assuming your Doctor writes you off, so I was given another 4 months off. Now as April/May looms and I'm to head back to my job, I'm still struggling with not nearly enough energy to get through a day and I'm not even working!

I feel like I am being a baby about this - but it isn't the normal, man I am tired, it is the feeling of being so spacey, so nauseated, dizzy and just... not functional.

I don't know what to do... I've had a blood screening done... My white blood cell count was low, it still is low but is climbing. As well, just to make life more interesting, I am in menopause. Convenient timing that! But that was all that showed, not anemic, thyroid is good... I am getting regular exercise, trying to eat well. I cannot tolerate any type of spice on food but can eat most things now.

Any ideas/suggestions? I want to get back to 'normal'... and am starting to feel really frustrated and have no idea what to do for myself!

Last edited by LWP; 03-11-2015 09:07 PM. Reason: Horrible proofreader!

Age 48, Rabid non-smoker, Mom, horse lover
Diagnosed SCC Feb 11/14
CT Scan showed three larger than normal lymph nodes
Partial Gloss & SND Mar 25, 2014
Nodes Clear/ 3mm margin / RADs recommended
Began RADs May 20, 2014 (30 in total) ENDED June 30th
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi LWP. I remember you from when you had treatment around the same time as me. I finished rads on 19 May. At 68 I'm retired and live alone so can take a rest whenever I need. Just lately I've hit a bit of a wall but generally I recovered normal energy levels very quickly. When I was at your stage of life I was always tired with work and kids. Menopause also hits some women really hard.

Christine would tell you that it can take a year or two to get over radiotherapy.

We all have differing reactions because of where the radiation was directed and how much of it there was. My treatment was limited to my lower left cheek, jaw and neck and did not cause as many side effects as many others suffer.

I don't know what can be causing your fatigue but know from my bad days that it is a ghastly feeling.

Is it too cold up there to go walking? I have found walking to be my best therapy, especially if I walk with others.

Apart from that I can only sympathise and hope that you improve soon and can enjoy the spring!

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

To me its understandable to have fatigue. Recovery is full of ups and downs. This has happened to many OC survivors, including myself.

Are you sure they did the thyroid check? Its not usually part of a average blood check up. I would also ask about testosterone (if you are male) but you mentioned menopause. That could that have an impact, especially when you are recovering from OC treatments. Check with your doc if you are able to take a multivitamin. I would also recommend talking with a dietician who is experienced in treating cancer survivors. Since your body is still in recovery mode your nutritional needs are different than someone who hasnt been thru what you have.

Hope you feel better soon!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Some days I feel less energetic than others. I've been back to work for quite awhile now and generally doing alright, but I notice my mind wandering at times. That being said, getting back to routine and feeling normal was something that I really wanted and needed.

It always makes me feel better after I get some exercise, whether that means I go out for a paddle, a run, hit the gym for a boot camp session or just do some bodyweight exercises or pilates at home.

Make sure you feed your body properly as well. Keep that protein intake up. Eat the right amount of calories and make sure you're generally hitting the correct range of macronutrients (e.g. 20-30% of your calories from protein sources, 20-30% fat and 40-60% carbohydrates). Don't miss the fruits and veggies! It can be a tough thing to do when you feel like you don't have energy to cook properly. You don't have to be perfect about it. Have a cheat day here and there, but keep the majority of your days clean and your body will feel it. Also make sure you're drinking enough water.

Proper diet and exercise are the two things that are directly under your control. Well, those and making sure you get the right amount of sleep. Not too little and not too much either. Easier said than done when you're stressed. The rest of the stuff that might be making you tired isn't so easy to control and therefore isn't worth dwelling upon. Yes, cancer happened. You had the surgery and the radiation and that took a toll on your body (and the rads may still be having an effect). I know nothing about menopause (covers ears and says "la la la la la la") other than it made my sisters and some of the ladies I work with a little bit cranky, and unusually hot at times. Sounds like you're getting checked out at the doctor's office(s), so presumably they've looked into all of the possibilities and addressed them.

I wish you well and hope you find that energy soon! Good luck with the return to work. They started me out on half days at first and I found that helpful, although I really just wanted to get back to normal the whole time. Haha thinking back now, the lazy part of me kinda misses having those half days again.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Getting back to full speed takes time. 5-6 hours is darn good. If you want/need to get back to work full time then doing so sooner is better - I feel pushing a bit enables you to progress faster.

Is there any way for your work to allow you to take a break in the afternoon for a nap? Ideally, they have a space where you can get some quiet time and that nap will perk you up. I was napping off and on for a good year after completing treatments.

Now at 20 months, I am pulling solid 11 hour days non stop. I will say that when I get home, I'm running on fumes but at least go the distance. Hang in there! Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com