Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#188666 03-11-2015 09:12 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi everyone don't no iff this is correct one to post on but I'm just looking for bit of help and support my dad has undergone a total gossectomy and is only on day five x his trac been took out and he has had a new tongue reconstructed with tummy muscle x he's been having a bad time with saliva and secretions coughing them up x I think he is producing a lot of saliva does anyone no the reasons why and how long secretions will last x we are all struggling to come to terms with my dad loosing his tongue he will always be forgot fed and just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if you can still communicate and eat small amounts xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Full tongue glossectomy reconstruc surge ,
Lymph nodes and glands out 5/3/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Babak41 #188668 03-11-2015 09:15 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Always be peg fed that ment to say x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188674 03-11-2015 12:56 PM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi... firstly there are people who've had total glossectomies who are able to eat via their mouth. It will take time and likely some training. Secondly the secretions are very normal. It's the body's way of dealing with the trauma of the surgery. He will take a while to heal, likely about 6 weeks then he will have to try and relearn how to eat and speak. There are a few members here who've had glossectomies or are family members of those who've had them. They will be along to try and answer some more questions. But for now it is very likely that he will be able to talk and eat again to what degree no one knows, maybe just soft foods maybe everything. His speech will probably be a little hard to understand but it should improve. It will just take time and therapy. Hugs and welcome.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Delly #188676 03-11-2015 01:04 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! Im glad you have found our site to help you with your father.

Ask the medical staff to use a portable suction machine to suction out all the gunk.

Its still too early to tell if he will require tube feeding for life or if he will be able to relearn how to eat. If you dont already have a dietician and speech pathologist on board find them and get their help. They will be able to do wonders in help0ing him learn to adapt.

PS....I have moved your posts to the proper location. Please take a few minutes to review the link included in the private message I sent you. Click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Delly #188677 03-11-2015 01:06 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hello Delly, welcome. This is indeed the correct forum and a wonderful site for information and support.
My Husband Kris had his Total Glossectomy 3 years ago. He too had flap formation from his stomach muscle/skin. I remember that he too had plenty of oral secretions post op. actually he went from having a totally dry mouth after his radiation treatments, to this very wet mouth after the surgery. While he was in the hospital and the surgical site was healing we used an oral sucker to remove the secretions.
Kris rinsed his mouth out frequently with a soda bic and salt solution. These days he just uses fizzy soda water, sometimes coke. He rinses and then spits/ let's it all run out. Many times, he needs to physically wipe it all out. As they no longer have a moveable to tongue to wipe and clean out the oral cavity, sometimes it needs wiping.
Kris started swallowing liquids at about the 3 rd week post op. he progressed very quickly and has not used his Mickey Peg since about the 8 week mark. Kris tips the fluid into his mouth, tips his head back and somehow swallows. Even the Speech Therapist can't explain how he does this. So , now, Kris swallows all his nutrition. Though it is liquid. Smoothies , soups, blenderised meals etc.
Of course he will be able to communicate. Try holding your tongue still and talking. You can do it. Yes, it sounds a bit different, but it is still easily understood. Kris had a total Laryngectomy as well and he is able to communicate.
So, be positive. You are only at the very early stage and it certainly does get better. Kris leads a full life and we are grateful to still have him.
If there are any questions, or any help I can give you, please just ask me.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
Delly #188683 03-11-2015 02:47 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Orr thankyou so much I feel so much more positive after reading this :)) I am praying my dad can do this and I want to support him every step of the way x Tammy your husband sounds like he's doing great :)) x I've been to see my dad tonight he's very swollen around the jaw not as many secretions today x he says he thinks he's depressed but I don't think he is yet he's just fed up and bored and he wants to get home xx we have done all his house up as it was the same as when we was kids ha he's going to love it I've got him broadband and netflicks I just want him to be happy and occupied and get better xx I no it's a long road I just don't want him to give up to see my dad last week talking to this breaks my heart inside I would loose every single limb to take his place but I can't so all I can do is be strong x thankyou everyone for welcoming me x and thankyou critstine for moving my tab I've been trying for days to contact someone to speak to x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188685 03-11-2015 04:20 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

It's completely normal for him to get a bit down. This is very life changing. I'm sure Kris would have had difficulties if we, his family , hadn't been so positive and supportive. There is also the option to start antidepressants . Kris started these in the 2 week post op. they take 3 weeks to kick in, so start now. Kris was only on this medication for 3 months and has never looked back. He leads a full life and I'm sure your Dad will too with all your support and encouragement.
I will say though, , that recovery takes a while. Don't expect him to be back to himself for some months. It took Kris a good 7 months. However I was able to relate him safely home by himself at around the 8 week mark. He could do all things independently by then.
Thinking of you,
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
Delly #188689 03-12-2015 04:50 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi tammy I've been trying to say that to him and keep him positive x I sent him your reply yesterday to spur him on and he said thanks smile just knowing that others are going and been through the same will help him along xx he's very swollen around his jaw and because he had his lymph nodes took it hard to drain the fluid x he's not in much pain but I'm dreading the radiation x he's had it before 22 years ago he had lymphoma in his neck but he a lot older now and had been through a lot more x how sad to even have cancer once never mind twice x had to tell him his cat passed away today it was 19 and don't think it could cope without him :(( sad as that's all he had he doesn't have a wife or partner but said he doesn't want another animal xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188691 03-12-2015 06:57 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It's a big change and hard to adjust, but he will - he may have to figure out what works for him with the help of a therapist who deals will swallowing and speech etc... I think his determination will make a difference. For now, I totally understand his being down - but hopefully he will pull out of it being at home and healing. Maybe you need to sit and talk to the surgeon. He would have a good perspective on how well his patients do after the surgery. Maybe there is a support group available so he can see that he will get better.

Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Delly #188695 03-12-2015 02:26 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou Cheryl it's more me questioning everything he seems to be just taking if day by day ha I just don't want him to get to down and depressed I no it's going to happen but I don't want it to get that bad where I can't pull him out of it xx I no it will cone with radiation cos all this will be healing then he has to start that x but had some good news today they are sure they've got all the cancer :)) xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188698 03-12-2015 11:21 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, I hope Dad is going ok. He will be quite swollen for some time. Initially from the surgery and then probably from Lymphoedema due to the neck dissection and removal of the lymph nodes. This lymphoedema takes years to subside. Kris's has improved heaps but he still has a small wattle under his chin.
Just keep being there for Dad. Just knowing you are loved is so therapeutic.
Maybe once Dad has recovered he will reconsider getting another pet. We recently got another dog, he responds Beautifully to Kris and his hand signals.
Dad needs time.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #188709 03-15-2015 02:27 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Is anybody there :(( dont really no who I can talk to my dad is struggling feels his new tongue is to big and also his teeth don't join so feels it's not right x we don't think he can swallow as all his saliva is just sitting in his mouth frown so the doctors think he can't swallow ? Can this be learned x there's no speech at all only noise and he doesn't open his mouth or breathe through it only his nose but now I'm worried if he gets a cold then what ? So many questions and nobody to ask :(( x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188710 03-15-2015 03:00 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly,
It's really early days for your Dad. Kris needed to use a suction machine for the first 3 weeks or so. In the 4th week post surgery he had a barium test to make sure the surgical site was all healed with no leaks. Then he was allowed to start trying to swallow. He started with just a 10 ml syringe of water. He squirted this into his mouth, tipped his head back and swallowed. A Speech Therapist will help him with this. It does require lots of practice and won't happen overnight.
I also think it's too early for clear speech. He will still be very swollen inside with lots of secretions which make it near impossible to speak. Be patient. There really is no reason why he can't speak as he still has his voice box. Just let the swelling subside first.
This is all so new and recent. Dad needs time for all the oedema to resolve. The tongue flap too will be swollen at this time. Kris had hairs on his initially, but that too resolved. Reassure your Dad that all these things will get better with time. Once the swelling goes down , the secretions too will lessen. Kris needs to wash the goo out of his mouth often using fizzy drinks/soda. Other times he physically wipes it out with a tissue. Dad will get used to this and it will get better.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #188712 03-15-2015 09:12 PM

Delly, everything you mentioned should be thoroughly discussed with your fathers physician. Your father very recently had his surgery. Every patient is different and will react to things in their own way. What you have described is completely normal. It takes time to recover from such an invasive surgery. If you can talk over your concerns with his doctor Im sure they would be able to explain in greater and more specific detail how your father is doing and have a better idea of the end result after he heals.

As a caregiver its so difficult to watch someone you love struggle. I think OC patients really have it rough being OC treatments affect such critical parts of daily living. Being in the patients shoes I know how hard it is to bounce back. Try staying positive and showing a brave face in front of your dad. Im sure he is upset and very scared as well. Hang in there! In time things will get much better.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
tamvonk #188720 03-16-2015 02:17 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Didn't see this post tammy thankyou for reply it just gives me a bit of reassurance just because we don't no what to expect x I've been tonight and he is fed up
He wants to come home but has an infection where his Trac was x he's on antibiotics for it now x he came home for 6 hours yesterday Znd was made up with his house we had decorated it all and got new carpets and setee :)) he did a little dance in the kitchen made me smile from ear to ear wink xx thankyou all for taking the time to read my posts and reply it means a lot x I have mentioned an animal and I think in another few months he will x I think a dog would be great company as he lives alone x he wrote tonight this tongue just sits at the bottom of his mouth and doesn't even move x but I don't think it aids in much think it was to just fill the gap xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188722 03-16-2015 03:05 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

I love the fact that you've decorated the house and that he did a little dance. You'll all be looking forward to him going home and really enjoying it. Best wishes!!!!

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Delly #188728 03-16-2015 08:35 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, you are correct. The tongue flap is just to fill the space. It is sewn into the floor of the mouth. It is not connected to anything else. So, it doesn't move and it doesn't taste. The good news is that we have taste"buds" all over our mouths and the roof of the mouth. Kris is still able to taste, although it is not very strong. But he does taste.
I think your Dad is doing great. He will soon be home. How fantastic are you guys to brighten up his home.
Tammy.

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #188739 03-17-2015 02:06 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi everyone just got back from hospital dad hoping to be home tomorro he has his nebuliser ready and just waiting for suction pump x we had a laugh tonight I enjoy going up when we have a laugh x I can tell what his noises mean sometimes as well x I said get on that nebuliser dad and get it all up x he hummed I am going to later ! And I answered and it was like we had a conversation :)) xxx his chest bit better today swelling going down well just one side bit more swollen where the plate in his jaw is x he does all his meds feeds himself and quite independent which is good for when he comes home x he wrote he hopes he has a brew one day I really hope he can x and also wrote in 12 month when I better I hope to go back to work x he was a taxi driver so I'm hoping he can learn to say where are you going clear enough x fingers and toes crossed xx hope your all ok I feel like I've been a bit selfish just asking about my dad and your all taking the time to answer me x thankyou x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188740 03-17-2015 04:24 PM

Glad to hear your father has been doing a little better. It take time to bounce back from what he has been thru.

When he goes home make sure his intake is high enough so he doesnt lose weight. Every single day shoot for at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water (remember formula is mostly water). Also pick up some high protein whey powder to help speed his healing.

Best wishes with his continued recovery.

We are always here to help, dont hesitate to post. An educated patient and caregiver make the advocates.

PS... Please take some time to review the link I sent with info on how to make a signature. It really is important so we can help you better. Thank you smile

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #188760 03-18-2015 03:34 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Christine think I've done it 😁 x I'll update it as he goes through radiation , he's coming home tomorro or Friday depends what day pump turns up but he's defiantly ready to come home , I'm bit worried about him coming home but hes healing really well and using his nebuliser more to clear his chest , face looking good amazing to say he had 14 hour surgery 2 week ago , just feels his chest is tight but his trach hole closing so there's not as much air going up and he also only breathes through his nose he doesn't open his mouth says it's all big and feels there's to much in there but it's going to be very swollen inside and probably feels foreign to him , they've told dad he can't put anything else in his tube but I am keen to give him more calories as he says he loosing weight even though he having 6 drinks 400 cals each a day , is the whey protein a liquid that is high in calories xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188761 03-18-2015 03:37 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

And how amazing you are Christine giving support to others even though you have been through so much yourself x I'm hoping you can all meet my dad on here very soon I'm going to put it on his iPad and see if he joins ha I think it will help him a lot thankyou ladies xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188766 03-18-2015 08:50 PM

The signature looks great, Delly! Thank you smile

Using other things besides the recommended formulas can clog the tube or cause it to wear out quickly, plus its very difficult to monitor a balanced diet and calories. If your father is losing weight when taking in 2400 calories, than means he isnt getting enough. In my opinion I would try to get him to take in at least 3000 calories daily to see if that will stop the weight loss. Everyone is slightly different and will respond to everything in their own way. The high protein whey powder isnt for calories, its for the extra protein to help with healing. It can be found in any pharmacy or most grocery stores, even Walmart has it, usually its near the ensure or vitamins. I would suggest talking everything I mentioned over with a nutritionist and/or his doc.

Also ask the doctor if a visiting nurse would be something the hospital offers. This would be a huge help! I had one for several weeks and they were a lifesaver to me. When he comes home you will find that there so an enormous amount of work that goes into his care. Just daily living items can quickly wear a patient out when they have had a major surgery.

Good luck with everything!

PS... You're welcome! Im always here to help smile

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #188780 03-19-2015 03:16 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all dad home hooray :))) x just one question tonight they have sent him with no sterile water and said used boiled water this is proving to be a pain in the bum x what should we store it in and is it ok to use bottled water ? It's to flush his tube and obviously for fluids xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188792 03-19-2015 08:14 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Is this for his PEG tube? We just use ordinary tap water. You don't drink sterile water, so tap water is fine.
Happy to hear he is home.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #188803 03-20-2015 11:18 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

He's using tap water now boiling it all is impossible as he uses lots x he's all swollen today again and very tired don't no if he done to much think the swelling due to being lay down most if the day where as in hospital he sat in a chair so the fluid drains out more x feel very helpless left him to have a sleep now :(( xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188804 03-20-2015 12:16 PM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

We used spring water that we got from the supermarket just because John's resistance was low and would have got sick if something's in the tap water. If tap water is fine in your area, it would probably be fine.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Delly #188810 03-20-2015 04:28 PM

Try to have him sleep propped up on at least 2 pillows. This is very important if doing feedings by using the pump. By laying down flat he could aspirate which can lead to serious problems. I used to raise the head of my bed about 6" plus sleep on 4 pillows to avoid laying flat. This will also be a big help with the drainage.

I used bottled water. Any grocery store will sell the purified water which is fine to use and so much easier than boiling water all the time.

Was a visiting nurse something that was available?

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #188811 03-20-2015 05:21 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Yeah tap water is fine to drink here I in england Manchester xx dad not good today so tired 😔 xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188815 03-21-2015 12:40 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly
So sorry to hear about your dad ...... I live not to far away from Manchester . I had tonsil cancer so not the same but if I can offer any help , support just let me know.
Was your dad treated at The Christie with surgery at Wythenshaw ? I had my op at Stepping Hill then chemo and radiotherapy at The Christie under the care of Dr Sykes . Been going to a head and neck support group at Maccelsfied hospital think it's every 6 weeks , it's for carers too . Some people have been through the same procedure as your dad.
I finished treatment December 2013 and I'm doing good most of the time . Got a little worry at the moment but having it removed and a biopsy on Monday at wythenshaw under Mister Iqbar team ..... Nobody appears to freaked out apart from me , but as the mantra says on here " it's not cancer until the biopsy says it is" so that's what I'm saying to myself!
You are doing a great job looking after your dad , my partner did the same for me and still does he's very protective keeps me grounded . It's vital when facing this horrible unfair disease .
Stay strong thinking of you , don't be alone, ask questions , and remember I'm not to far from you. I haven't the knowledge that other people on here have unfortunately but can offer my support and a hug ! Xxx😄😄

Di 47 none smoker / drinker

T4 SCC left tonsil
1 Cistplatin,30 RAD finished treatment on 4/12/2013
Trismus
First MRI scan appears clear
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
acute vommiting, syringe driver 9weeks
2 month checks
Delly #188816 03-21-2015 03:49 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi hun so sorry for what you've been through life can be so creul I'm glad you've got a supportive partner I wish my dad had someone living with him for the times you get scared xx yeah dad going there Tuesday should start radiation in 4 week he's had radiation on that area before so going to have to try find his notes from 28 years ago to see exactly where he had it xx are you able to eat or are you peg fed x dad is very down at the moment he feels very tired but I think that's because he more relaxed at home x I would love to go a support group and meet people and see how every body copes with things because I find it hard and if my dads having a bad day I am to xx I hope your results are good think you've been through enough now ! Xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188824 03-21-2015 10:19 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Christine sorry didn't see reply he said he has to lie at a certain angle cos he starts coughing x I think he needs to be more upright x there I nurse that comes and changed his dressing on trach hole which as not yet healed which is a worry x he said he can't breathe through mouth everything still swollen inside x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188829 03-21-2015 02:15 PM

Hi, Delly
Just wanted to wish you the best with caring for your dad. Please remember to take advantage of any help that is offered or available. You are a fabulous daughter - but you are human and it won't help if you wear yourself completely out helping your dad. I ended up with a really bab RA flare after my husband's treatment - don't be like me :-)
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Delly #188831 03-21-2015 05:04 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou Maria I just want my dad to be ok x I no he's going to get depressed and I'm ready I just want to try help him back out of it x it's hard with my dad because he never had no hobbies or social life he just went to work came home drank brews ha and went back next day he really misses work and he wants to go back he's given himself a year ! I really really pray he gets enough speech to go back to taxi driving and I really hope he can drink a brew again :(( only time will tell xx it is very hard you think every second of the day about it and how you can make the healing time easier but it's so hard I asked if he wanted to go for a drive today but he doesn't so I can't force him just hope he keeps feeding himself and trying to help himself xx there doesn't seem to be much help yet I:/ in going to contact people Monday and see what I can do xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188836 03-22-2015 06:52 AM

That's tough, Delly - taxi driving is a very social profession, and I bet he does miss the interaction. How is he communicating now?
Maria

PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Delly #188843 03-23-2015 12:13 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

He writes everything down and hums a few noises x I don't no how well he may eventually speak I'm hoping he has enough speech to go back to work as that's what he wants to do more than anything xx it's a creul creul life feel so bad for him but there nothing I can do except go visit every day and get him anything he needs xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188875 03-25-2015 09:05 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hopefully he is doing better daily. IT takes time but small improvements move you towards where you want to be.

hugs

Delly #188890 03-26-2015 05:14 PM

Delly, as parent I can tell you that seeing a loving child everyday means the world. I know you would like to be able to do more - but please know that seeing you does mean a lot to him. Thinking of you both on my side of the pond.
Maria

Delly #188893 03-26-2015 10:48 PM
KJB Offline

Hi Delly,
I can totally relate to everything you are saying because I too was a scared daughter - i worried about whether my father could talk again, eat again, and be himself again. It is totally okay to be scared! It WILL get better - for you and him. Overtime, you will learn to accept it! This site is a great site - i read everything everyone said to my dad every single day - i kept reminding him that there are so many people going through this and they are okay, they are doing great and they are still fighting! Remember to be positive and keep cheering him on ( even if you dont feel so positive )
My father had an excellent speech therapist that helped him chew mild stuff like mashed bananas, half boiled eggs, and milkshakes post op. Within a few months, he was eating porridge, steamed fish, and thick avocado juices. I would recommend u to get a speech therapist ASAP.
I'm praying for you and a speedy recovery for your dad.

Father had oral cancer stage 4A. Diagnosed 17th May.
Partial glossectomy and graphing done from hand.
Radiation 30x. Chemo - cisplatin 6 rounds.
Finished chemo and radiation in Aug.
PET - Nov - recurrence and spread to liver and lungs
Chemo started - erbitrux and 5fu.
2 rounds done.
Passed away 12/23/2014 - i believe he is in a much better place now smile
Delly #188907 03-27-2015 05:38 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi everyone x dad is feeling a bit better his weight dropping a bit because he wasn't feeding enough they have now changed it to a higher calorie intake hopefully he will gain some weight before his radiation x my dad has had a massive improvement In the last few days he has actually swallowed a teaspoon of water quite a few times it doesn't sound much but it is a massive achievement as we wasn't sure if he could swallow again xx his face is healing nicely just needs to start opening his mouth a bit has no speech as he keeps his mouth closed because he says it's all to big thinks his tongue is to big I'm not sure if it is or if it's due to the swelling xx it's only 3 week post op and in my eyes he's doing amazing I've got him broadband netflicks and an iPad x just want him to try not to get to fed up staying in xx radiation starts 14 April and I no we going to have a few months of bring down and not feeling like it's going to end x my dads had radiation before on the same side so they have to try and not hit the same bits else it will cause a lot of damage so he's had a mask made to try protect these areas x he's doing amazing and I'm so proud xx Maria I fully understand this feeling I have 3 lovely children all girls and very understanding she 13,10amd 4 😀 and thankyou for your kind words xx kjb im do sorry to hear your dad passed away and after everything he went through frown how sad x dads not heard off the speech therapy yet I think everything waiting till after radiation when everything's calmed down x bet your dad was so very proud to have you as a daughter xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188908 03-27-2015 06:25 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Netflix and an iPad. Both are very medicinal. They've helped me get through the slow times.

Glad your father is recovering well from surgery. I well understand how a sip of water is significant. It's something we take for granted until we lose it.

You are giving your father great support which will make the next few months much more bearable.

Best wishes!

October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Delly #188911 03-28-2015 03:36 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

You're doing a great job Delly, and so is your Dad.

A tablet (not the swallowing kind) is a great way to pass the time when you're stuck in bed.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
Delly #188912 03-28-2015 06:06 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou everyone x he makes me proud every day achieving new things had a sip of cup of tea today and throws it back and swallows I'm hoping the radiation doesn't damage anything where he can't swallow afterwards because I feel he can do that and is determined to get back to work x I really hope so xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188915 03-28-2015 01:00 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly
Sorry missed your posts. I only had the NG tube for 9 weeks , eating and drinking normally now ... Well the new normal! Bottle of water to help swallow , and getting on with the altered taste or lack of it! Some foods easier than others and some still sting like crazy !
Your dad seems to doing well , great stuff with the sip of tea we love our brews us English folk! Lol
My tongues been pretty sore since the little op on Monday just the waiting now get the results a week on Friday .
The next support group is on Tuesday 7 th April at Macclesfield hospital 6.30 / 8.00 in the cancer resource centre. Maybe early days for your dad but carers are always welcome. We meet every 6 weeks so whenever anyone feels up to it all welcome.
They're fab at Christies will really look after him , sorry your having to go through this , we're all here for you both
Di x😄

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #188921 03-29-2015 05:45 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi di66 glad to here you are feeling better and yes we do love our brews smile I'm hoping one day he can have one with us x glad your able to eat as well bet it feels strange x I don't think dad will be able to swallow food if I'm honest x how was your radiation how many blasts did you have dad goes every day but not say sun for 6 week 30 blasts x how did you cope did you have a very dry mouth is this why you swallow water with your food will it be always like that xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188923 03-29-2015 07:07 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly ,
I had 30 fractions of rads and 2 scheduled chemos but only managed 1, my platelets hadn't recovered enough for the 2nd lot . The radiotherapy is stuff and I did struggle but not to do isn't an option so it was a case of just getting on with it. My neck became very sore I trialled a cream but I can think for the life of me what the hell it's called but it will come back to me! Was told is �85 for a very small tube but they gave me several tubes whenever I asked. My skin still broke down and was very wet and oozing sore but it's healed beautifully and you would never know . Your dad will be very tired I'm still tired and can't manage full time work anymore , yes I too went daily for 6 weeks with sat/sun off. Are you able to go with your dad , I couldn't have done it alone and I couldn't drive. I had radiation sickness but believe this is not that common most people don't. The dry mouth is miserable I'm on a drug called pilocarpine which I find really good wouldn't be without it but again most people can't tolerate the side effects I personally find them worth it . Nobody at christies told me about it , I learnt on here so asked about it and they gave it no problem , so worth a go. They also gave me acupuncture which I had for 3 months after the treatment I wasn't well enough during.
Horrible wet miserable day here roll on summer eh?
Take care ask away if there's anthing I can do or help with xxxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #188924 03-29-2015 07:07 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Tough not stuff!

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #188933 03-30-2015 03:24 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Have you recovered fully from radiation and how long after treatment finished did you start to feel better xx dad just wants it all done then we can start in speech therapy and swallowing hopefully x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188943 03-30-2015 01:38 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi di66 I'm very interested in the support group next Tuesday x I'm not sure my dad will come yet but I think I want to attend , are there people there with similar to my dad who can't talk , are they all at different stages , dad having very down day today which also makes me down it seems to be however he is feeling I do to xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #188961 03-31-2015 12:10 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly , people there have a variety of head and neck cancers , all at different stages in their recovery they're a great bunch , I'm the youngest was 47 at diagnosis some have been meeting up for 14 years I think. It's ran by 2 women ones a dietician the other a speech therapist and they have loads of advice. Guest speakers come head and neck specialist nurses , dentist , benefit advisors this next one is a speaker from Wiltshire farm foods ... Could be crap but hopefully not! Lol
I understand about how your dad feeling dictates your mood and feelings , it's like that for my mike , if I'm managing being positive and looking forward he is to , if I'm having a bad day he tends to also but we try very hard to bring the other round if it's a down day.
The long term effects of radiotherapy I'm still dealing with but the short term ones I would say I started to really begin my recovery after about 6 months so for most of us there aren't any quick fixes but everyone is different a few have sailed through it.
If you fancy a chat private message me and I will send you my phone number.
Your doing a great job xxxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #189094 04-09-2015 11:37 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly
Was just wondering how you and your dad are doing ?
Thinking of you both x

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #189131 04-12-2015 12:39 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi sorry not been on had a really busy week x been for dads follow up appointment not very good news he's been drinking bits of water but they told him not to as it's dangerous as it's probably going in his lungs they won't give him a swallow assessment till about 3 more months but he said there's not much hope of him swallowing again :(( the surgeon said its very unlikely as he's had full tongue removed :(( xx dad also struggling with the saliva in his mouth there's so much of it that if he opens his mouth it falls out so he still doesn't talk x they said that will get better when radiation starts on Tuesday , we've had no support off anyone the McMillan nurse has never been dads once I go round every day and sometimes it's only me he sees , dreading the radiation as they said his face will swell even more it's going to be a long six weeks ,then also afterwards for another 6 frown good note though he's put bit of weight on as he's upped his peg feeds needs to gain 2 stone really as he's lost 4 having bit of trouble with it repeating on him and coming up his throat but he's stopped taking his ant acid meds because he read the side effects ;/ but he will have to start taking them again x feels his throat dry and he needs a drink but doc says it's in his head. But he does need to drink but isn't allowed x I really hope one day he will swallow I'm praying for a miracle x also said the new tongue will shrink slightly when they start radiation as he feels it's to big x so much going on at moment just want ta year to pass by so he can get a bit of life back feel so sorry for him I dream about it and every time I eat I feel guilty I don't even like having a drink at his house :(( xx hope everyone doing ok xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189132 04-12-2015 12:53 PM

I am very sorry to hear that your Dad is having a rough time. What a good daughter. I am new in all this myself. I will pray for your Dad and hope it gets better. Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years
Delly #189133 04-12-2015 02:29 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Denise welcome so sorry you've had to join here x If there's anything I can help you with just ask I will help as best I can x when will you have your results xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189134 04-12-2015 05:57 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hi Delly. That sounds really awful that they said he might not swallow again. I'd adopt a wait and see approach. People who've had glossectomies tend to be able to swallow over time and with help from speech language therapists. I can imagine how dry his throat and mouth must feel. I felt like that for the first few days after surgery. It was hot, the air conditioning was inadequate and I wasn't allowed to drink. What helped me was when they put more fluid (water) in my food supplement. I can honestly say the thirst and dry mouth went away. When I could finally have some water it was an anti-climax. So maybe he needs more fluid.

I believe you need a lot more support. When he has radiation he'll need it, so push that nursing service to provide him with visits. I live alone and had weekly visits from the Cancer Society nurse until about a week after rads ended.

Please don't feel guilty about eating and drinking. Be as positive as you can with him. Take it one step at a time.

Best wishes.

Alpaca #189140 04-13-2015 01:35 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Orr your journey sounds horrendous :(( I'm glad you've come out of the other side and I no dad will to it's just going to take time , I'm praying he will swallow again x I asked the doctor how does he no this as no swallow test as been done he answered because I did the surgery frown he said he can't say for sure because everyone is different but with this type of surgery dads had the only thing that will improve is his speech xx during radiation they said his Salivia will dry up with defiantly needs to happen as his mouth is full and he can't open it else it pours out x but does the saliva come back then after few months ? Because if it does I don't no what can be do we about it ? Xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189141 04-13-2015 01:51 AM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

That sounds most unfortunate. Whether the saliva comes back or not depends on the salivary glands. If they get zapped you have a dry mouth for life. In my case my major salivary glands seem to have been avoided because I have a certain amount of saliva. It's much less than normal though.

I just hope your father gets lots of improvement. It's very early days.

As for me, I've come back from four cancer diagnoses for two different cancers over the last 20 years but I've kind of made peace with it. I'm just glad to be alive right now to see my grandchildren and participate in this crazy world.

Delly #189142 04-13-2015 02:12 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Orr I'm glad you have to it's a horrible horrible disease but to have it that many times is awful x dads had it twice 22 years ago non hodgkinson lymphoma in his neck same side as his tongue was he's only got one salivary gland but I think it's because everything is healing so producing more Salivia x his radiation starts tomorro he's had a mask made to try to protect the areas he's already had radiation on all them years ago x he's dreDing it as he struggles to lie flat for long due to coughing and only breathing out his nose x fingers crossed it goes ok not sure how long it takes they put his head in the mask and clip it to the table :(( just hope he can cope with it x I'll keep you updated do you no how long before radiation starts to take effect is it a week or few weeks xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189143 04-13-2015 02:34 AM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, I am a bit puzzled as to why the surgeon says your Dad will never swallow. Kris too has had his entire tongue removed. He has been swallowing since he was 3 weeks postoperative. Our Speech Therapist says she can't understand how people like Kris swallow , but they do. There are others on this site who have also had Total Glossectomies and they too swallow. If I was you I would keep asking. Ask why he can't swallow? You don't need a tongue to swallow, though it does make it easier. Ask why he needs to wait 3 months for a swallow study.
Radiation can be rough. Dad is lucky you are there for him. Keep posting here, there are many who will help you both through this next stage.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #189146 04-13-2015 05:29 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks tammy I have read numerous stories that they can swallow but he said it's very unlikely and I said how do you no he said because I did the operation and his whole tongue was took x he just said it's very unlikely and said he won't try until after the radiation and everything has settled x they said it's dangerous that my dads been drinking because it will be going into his lungs and give him a chest infection x my dad has been drinking water for 2 weeks with no problems but if there telling us that we will have to stop xx he starts radiation tomorro xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189147 04-13-2015 05:58 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

My husband couldn't swallow for two and a half years but that's from a different cause. What I want to say is if you father would like to have the feeling of something interesting his mouth, he can always rinse his mouth with whatever, like coffee, tea, etc and then spit it out. We, too, were warned about aspiration pneumonia which is when the liquid gets into the lungs. Keep an eye on his temperature if you are worried. Is there any chance of your getting hooked up with a speech and language pathologist about the swallowing?

Last edited by gmcraft; 04-13-2015 05:58 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Delly #189148 04-13-2015 06:16 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

He doesn't see a speech therapist till after radiation now and everything settles down then they will give him speech therapy x to be honest we've only seen his surgeon once since he left hospital and a district nurse twice I thought there would be more support dietician been once changed his feeds as he was loosing weight then said see you in a month x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189152 04-13-2015 12:04 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

He will get a lot more support when he has radiotherapy. There will be a range of medical professionals there and he'll see people every week day.

The mask. Some people look at them as if they're a prop from a horror film but really it's just an essential device to hold your head still and make the rays accurate. The procedure lasts 10 to 15 minutes. It's uncomfortable if you have to have a tongue depressor but otherwise the mask itself doesn't hurt. I used to go through a list of things I'd memorised to cope with the way the tongue depressor made my jaw ache.

What made radiotherapy tolerable for me was the friendliness and concern of the staff. I almost missed them when I finished.

Delly #189153 04-13-2015 01:38 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

I hope so I hope he doesn't encounter to many problems and doesn't shut off x just got to keep doing what I doing and pull him through long few month now fingers crossed xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189156 04-13-2015 04:43 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Delly, Kris had his entire tongue removed and part of his Pharynx. The surgeons told us that they built a downwards sloping shelf where the base of the tongue used to be. So that fluids would just go down the slope.
I just want to reassure you that if your Dad has been swallowing water and he is NOT coughing then he isn't aspirating. If fluids ( or food ) get into the lungs we cough . Our lungs are very good at coughing out what shouldn't be there.
I hope your Dad will be seeing a whole team while he undergoes radiotherapy. This should include the Speech therapists. Let them guide you on the swallowing
I would push very very hard to see a Speech therapist during radiotherapy. Make a nuisance of yourself if you have to. I think it is most important that Dad does start swallowing as soon as possible.
I was labelled as the wife from hell after Kris's surgery. But, I was fighting for my man and I wanted the best outcome for him. The whole team eventually apologised to me as I was proven right on a few important matters.
You are a wonderful Daughter.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #189161 04-14-2015 01:55 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi tammy no he doesn't cough at first he was kind of throwing it back tipping it back and then after 2 weeks was just swallowing all his neck moves like ours as I've watched it xx I'm worried now because he doesn't actually see anyone other than radio therapy man x my dad says he knows he can swallow and like I said he's not coughed once and as the week went on it got easier x do you think I should ring up someone and ask for swallow assessment again ? Cos it will be a long time now until everything has healed from radiation xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189169 04-14-2015 07:17 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Please don't let one person's opinion color your dad's hope. Humans are very adaptive. I know the surgeon did the surgery and he may have an educated opinion but it's not finite.

He should have a suction machine to get rid of some of the saliva. Sadly it gets worse during the latter days of rads too. I used to spit constantly. Then after that it completely dries up. And may return a few months to years later. The body does heal. Tell him there is hope and a new normal on the other side... Getting through the worst of it of course is the goal.

Hugs.

Delly #189181 04-14-2015 10:38 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly , sorry to hear about your dad , it's very hard to watch somebody close to you struggling . I'm surprised and annoyed for you about the lack of support you have both received . This wasn't the case for me , I feel that I had a lot of support and input from the specialist nurses , Macmillan nurses and district nurses , but Mike wax straight on that phone advocating for me when I wasn't well and demanding answers to our questions .
I can't really help with the swallowing questions as I don't know , but others I see have and will continue to help and advise you.
Your a good daughter I'm glad your dad has your love and support .
X

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #189184 04-14-2015 02:09 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi everyone he does have suction machine he rather spits it out in his way I'm hoping it does dry up so he's able to start taking as he does have quite good speech which is a major positive but he never opens his mouth at the moment even when he suctions it tends to come back straight away x di66 I'm hoping a lot more care with his radiation is coming because so far it's horrendous x my dad upped his feeds again today 3300 calories today ha he's determined to get back to 15 stone I'm hoping he can as he looks very frail at the moment only 12 stone x he's been outside today peeling his taxi driving stickers off his car which is brilliant because he's abit conscious of his face so I was proud if that :)) he seems very determined at the moment and I'm very shocked how well he's doing x I wish he didn't have to go through this radiation as it's going to put him back xx thankyou everyone for taking the time to answer me hope your all well xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189185 04-14-2015 02:11 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Oh and got a call as ready to set off for radiation today and they cancelled it as the machine was broke !!! Think my dad was secretly pleased ha he's dreading the mask on it covers his face with holes for his nostrils it's to protect the bits he's already had radiation on 22 years ago as they said it would cause damage xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189186 04-14-2015 04:06 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, I think that if he can swallow and he is not coughing then he's ok. While Dad is undergoing radiation, he must be being seen , at least weekly, by the Radiation Oncologist. Go with him to this appointment and insist that he is seen by a speech therapist. Ask for an urgent referral. As a patient who has had a total Glossectomy he must be seen by a Speechie, to help him with both speech and swallowing. ( though I think he is doing well with the swallowing despite the surgeon). I hope you get better support through this next phase of treatment,
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #189188 04-15-2015 07:12 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Glad he seems to be feeling up... hopefully it will continue... hugs.

Delly #189193 04-15-2015 02:10 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou tammy x yes he gets seen by a doctor every Wednesday now so I will go with him x I've been reading swallowing can get worse with radiation so that's panicked me a bit :(( x I'll ring his McMillan nurse tomorro and ask some questions also I'm hoping radiation doesn't cause to many issues as he's really doing well at the moment x one thing I've noticed is he's a bit unsteady on his feet seems a bit off balance just since the operation x thankyou Cheryll :)) xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189195 04-15-2015 05:21 PM

Hi, Delly - good luck to your Dad with the radiation. My husbard did not mind the radiation mask because he knew it kept in the correct position. He still has it in the basement and it creeps me out every time I go down there!
Maria

Delly #189206 04-16-2015 04:03 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou Maria he struggling because he can't block his throat so the saliva goes back and chokes him so he has to keep getting out of mask and breathing he feels bit down today cos there's six week of this x but everytime he stops them he has to start again x he says it's the positioning and the scan cos it to long the radiation is ok but he can't lie flat for that long frown xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189211 04-16-2015 10:32 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

That sounds awful, Delly. Surely there's some sort of technique they can use to help him.
I know what he means by the scan. It's quite a lot longer when they do that.
I hope everyone can make a way for him to be more comfortable when he has the treatment. Once everything is up and running times goes quickly. Crossing my fingers for you:)
Maureen

Delly #189219 04-17-2015 03:09 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Maureen there nothing they can do except stop get him out let him out and then start again frown he really panics he can't block his saliva from going down so it ends up choking him hopefully it will dry up soon and then won't be a problem lying flat x three down 27 to go xx he a feeling very tired but think that's all the trips to hospital it takes it out of him xx he's speaking a little bit now only now and again but that's good x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189224 04-17-2015 07:37 PM

Hi, Delly
Your poor Dad - that sounds really miserable. The only thing I could think of would be a suction tube, but I don't think that woud be feasible by the radiation machine.
My guess is that your Dad is going to hit his stride with this in a week or so and be better able to cope emotionally at least.
Best wishes and thinking of you both!
Maria

Delly #189234 04-19-2015 03:28 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Maria the mask to tight to get any sort of tube in only got his nostrils on show bless him xx he said he only stopped once Friday he is trying different techniques x he's feeling very tired already is this normal so soon he's only had 3 lots so far xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189235 04-19-2015 06:14 AM

Many patients take anxiety meds before they go for their radiation treatment. Talk to his doctor right away about getting something to help him get thru treatments. It really is a horrible feeling being bolted down to that tiny table while you are left alone in that room with giant machines moving all around you.

Fatigue will unfortunately get progressively worse. This is where intake plays a huge role. Every single day he should be taking in at the very least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If he can push and do more than will only help him to feel better and get thru this easier. Radiation treatments for OC patients are brutal to say the least. Take advantage of any tools to help get thru it easier. Ask the doc for an open prescription for extra hydration in the chemo lab. This will make a big difference in how your father feels too. If you can get him to get this done say 3 times a week it will be a big help in boosting how he feels.

Hang in there, we will get you both thru this.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #189242 04-20-2015 01:20 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi christene thanks for reply what's hydration in the chemo lab ? X How many weeks after radiation fiinishes do you think my dad will start to feel better does it take a long time. Xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189243 04-20-2015 06:25 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Been to dads today he struggling with his feeds now they keep coming back up his throat ? He's just started donperidone so hoping that works x he had his last feed at 7 last night and it woke him up at 4 this morning so it must be sitting in his belly x but if it's true what they say and fluid going in his lungs surely the food will be if it coming up and going down again x he spits most out but a bit must be going down x is there any good medication I should ask for x also will the radiation doctors give him cream for when his skin gets sore because he's told me to get some e45 cream surely they will have something better xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189245 04-20-2015 08:43 AM

Delly, hydration is when a patient is given IV fluids to help them to avoid dehydration. The chemo lab is where the hospital gives chemo to their patients. When undergoing radiation treatments for OC, patients usually struggle with their intake. Getting extra fluids helps them to instantly feel better.

Recovery, like everything else is a very individual thing. From what Ive seen on this forum over the years I would estimate 60% of OC patients have varying degrees of struggling with rads. Another 30% of OC patients really struggle and have a very hard time with their treatments. Many end up hospitalized due to malnutrition and/or dehydration. Not meeting their daily minimums of at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water plays a huge role in this 30% of patients. Then there is the lucky 10% who sail right thru barely noticing the side effects. Ive noticed these are the patients who push themselves with intake (usually exceeding the 2500 calories and getting 64 oz of water every single day). Many also have a light exercise program or even taking short daily walks. Usually the lucky 10% also do not have chemo which makes it slightly easier as well. But the chemo or no chemo is not really anything that the patient has control over, its their treatment plan. The one common thread is patients who do better with their daily calories and water will lose less weight and generally feel better than other patients who arent able to keep up the daily minimums.

Your father should have some sort of cream for his radiated area. There are many different ones both over the counter and prescription that will work. The common ones are aquaphor (nonprescription), silver sulfadine cream and beta val (both by prescription). cream never should be applied right before going into treatment as it could negatively affect the radiation area. Always use a thin coating and pat the cream on, letting it soak in, never rub it in. When I went thru rads, I would shower before I went for rads, after I finished I would pat the cream on my neck during the 45 minute the ride home. After a few hours I reapplied another thin layer of the cream and again before I went to bed. If his skin becomes oozing wounds from rads, he should still continue to use the cream but also cover the areas loosely with nonstick gauze. My neck was a mess, open oozing wounds, unbelievably it never scarred. It healed very quickly after finishing rads.

Your father should be sleeping on an incline if doing feedings at night. He should stay still after it is finished for at least a half hour.

Hope this info will help your father. Best wishes!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #189247 04-20-2015 10:54 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

The domperidone should help. If his food is not going down it may be a motility issue, which is when the intestines do not move enough to get the food down. It seems that many people with a G tube have the problem. Take the domperidone about thirty minutes before food. You should notice a difference in a couple of days.

Gloria

Delly #189250 04-20-2015 01:27 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou christene this helps a lot I will ask about hydration for him x and thanks Gloria I will tell him to keep it up with the medicine x he stopped taking it as he read the side effects and it said you can develop breasts ha I said that only one in however many million but he wrote yeah that probably be me smirk xx saying that I've put his lottery on last two weeks and he's got three numbers each time ha think I better start putting it on I must be good luck ha x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189280 04-23-2015 05:30 AM

Delly,
Keeping you and your Dad in my thoughts. Let us know how you are both doing as you have the time.
Maria

Delly #189281 04-23-2015 06:41 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hopefully he's healing and things are going good on your end. I know it can seem overwhelming with everything - hugs

Delly #189332 04-26-2015 01:41 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all dads on day 9 of radiation tomorro x having trouble with his feeds they just keep coming up his throat into his mouth the dietician coming in the morning x he's not putting any weight on they said he's not doing them right he putting them in to fast but they never shown him how to do it. So he just syringes them in like you would medicine they want him to use the drip one in the night to try get calories in him x he's still struggling with saliva there's so much in his mouth he can't speak with it all they've give him patches for neck to lessen it but it's doing nothing x I rang his McMillan nurse last Tuesday still not had a reply I've lost a lot or faith in McMillan which is sad to say as I'm sure others have good experiences with them but so far we've had no help whatsoever x just gotta get through this radiation now then hopefully can work on speech and if he's ever going to swallow again fingers crossed xx hope your all ok and doing well xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189510 05-10-2015 03:15 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all quick update , 12 more rounds to go ! Dads been very down had a lot of trouble with feeds and loosing weight trying a pump for night feeding for 10 hours this seems to be settling better and I hope won't cause any problems x had a lot of sickness which was worrying but feeding like this seems better x I'm so praying one day dad can drink even if he can't eat I hope he can drink :(( x hope every body is doing well x

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189513 05-10-2015 09:58 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

I'm glad the night pump is improving things. He has had a very hard time. Wishing you well:)

Maureen

Delly #189515 05-11-2015 05:17 AM

If your father is able to take small sips of water thru out the day this will help keep his swallowing function from forgetting how to work. Even if it hurts, he should continue to swallow at least several times a day. As long as the liquid isnt going into his lungs, causing aspiration. Check with his doc to be sure its safe.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #189549 05-13-2015 05:29 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Maureen how is your radiation going how are you feeling x hi christene dad was drinking and we went to hospital and surgeon said you must not drink they won't do a swallow test till after radiation complete and healed :(( he can swallow and he doesn't choke but they said it could still be going in his lungs called silent aspiration so they have scared him to death I'm worrying that the surgens here arnt as good as in other parts of the world as he said the only thing he thinks will improve is his speech :((. He still has tiny sips when rinsing his mouth out so hopefully this will keep his swallow glands working xx he's pump fed at night now and that's better for the sickness x can radiation make you feel sick ? As I seem to think it's that ? X. Still so much saliva in his mouth so doesn't talk it a just filling up constantly even radiation not drying it up like they said x physio coming tomorro to try help but I don't no what they do xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189726 05-27-2015 03:11 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all dad finished radiation now very sore mouth and face and lips are so swollen :(( feel so sorry for him but just got to wait now till it all heals and see what next step is x saliva still there not dried up at all :(( still pours out when tries to talk so won't talk still writes down x still not seen any speech therapists or McMillan nurse x just got to wait and see what next step is x they said 6 week of healing now xx hope your all well xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189756 05-30-2015 01:21 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

He's through the radiation already! Well done. I know it was a very hard process. The soreness will go down and a nurse and speech therapist to help with rehabilitation will be something to look forward to. How is the feeding going?
Best wishes
Maureen

Delly #189761 05-31-2015 12:52 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Maureen how are you after your radiation x dad really struggling at the moment doesn't get outta bed most days he feels sick a lot and his face is so swollen especially his lip xx still having saliva problems nothing dried up so goodness knows what's next with that xx was you sick and very sore x dads only having his night pump feed which is 10 hours which is a lot better but scares me because of pneumonia x he should have bit more in the day but can't manage it at moment xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189762 05-31-2015 03:58 AM

Delly, the worst of radiation is the last few days and first 2-3 weeks after finishing treatments. I know this is very hard on your father. Im sure for you its even harder to watch someone you love going thru so much. Being a caregiver is tough!

Intake is what will make this easier and help your father feel better. He probably doesnt have much energy right now so maybe you could convince him to take 2 more cans while he is propped up watching tv? If you think he isnt getting enough water (48-64 oz daily), you can also talk to his rad doc and ask to get extra hydration every other day. That will help boost him up right away.

Hang in there, your father will begin to feel better very soon. Most of us woke up one day about 2-3 weeks post rad and actually noticed we didnt feel quite as bad as we had. Recovery is full of ups and downs and even some setbacks so watch your father closely and report any changes to his doc right away.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #189765 05-31-2015 12:37 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hello, Delly. My radiation was one year ago now. I remember feeling better a couple of weeks after treatment ended. It took months before I was really over it, but yes, at six weeks the skin and mouth had healed. I'm crossing my fingers that your father improves a lot.

At a talk I went to at the hospital, a speech/swallowing therapist showed us how swallowing is affected by the little flap of skin at the back of the throat called the epiglottis. It closes the windpipe during swallowing. Maybe this has been affected by your dad's surgery and is why he has been told not to drink.

I hope you get lots of help and good advice in the coming weeks.

Maureen

Delly #189771 06-01-2015 02:20 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Sorry Maureen I didn't see the year ha xx thankyou ladies it's a week tomorro so hopefully two weeks to go x they found a lump in his neck so we there on Friday for a biopsy frown they said it might be scar tissue so fingers crossed cos I don't think he could cope with more xx take care speak soon xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189989 06-17-2015 06:57 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all not good news for dad the lump wS cancer so so sad it's aggressive and grown whilst having radiation :((( never been so heartbroken :(( xx MRI was yesterday and results tomorro x they not sure if there's anything surgically they can do :(((( xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #189991 06-17-2015 07:18 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

It sounds aggressive but tell them to look to proton therapy, or intraoperative radiation. PaulB might be able to better explain what both are about but they are viable alternatives. I am sorry for this but I would still push them to try to do something. Hugs.

Delly #189998 06-17-2015 01:56 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

We live in england x I bet there is better things in America for dad frown I wish I could afford to have him treated over there :(( I'm so scared what they are going to say and I just pray it's confined to the lump but it's been growing since having his operation because they must of left it in there and radiation should of killed whatever was left :(( I feel so sick that he's come through all he has and now this and there not sure if there anything they can do xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190000 06-17-2015 06:04 PM

I'm sorry to hear this, Delly. It's unusual that cancer will grow during radiation, it usually shrinks, although there can be some inflammation of lymphatics, and as said, is not a good indication. I had tumors pop up twice in the neck while waiting for different cancer surgeries, which were removed with the other cancer thankfully, but not during treatment, which could have possibly happened if they weren't found in time.

If may or may not be a lymph node, as some were said to have been dissected, not sure of type though, and what levels, and I have found as far as myself, not all are always removed, and had several found with each dissection (5) I had, and being there are so many in the neck, around 300, mostly microscopic, but everyone is different in that amount, and location. As far as it not being a lymph node has happened to me. After a neck dissections, radiation, even surgery, cancer finds an alternate route if the lymphatic flow is disrupted, so cancer can travel anywhere, usually the weakest link.

On the other hand, the tumor can be radio resistant from a number of things, the neck receives a lower radiation dosage usually than the primary, can be out of the radiation field, etc.

I'm not sure what the doctors may do. It sounds like the current radiation therapy is not finished yet? Maybe they will do another simulation, treatment plan, and give higher dosage to this new cancer, and finish the current radiation treatment, then do a neck dissection, possibly add chemo as a radio sensitizer. They can possibly stop radiation, do a dissection, but that has risk of tumor regeneration, and incomplete or delay in further radiation treatment.

Cheryl mentioned IORT and Proton Therapy, which may be a possibility, not sure though, plus the fact it may not be available in England. Brachytherapy is, I believe, and is used as a boost dose with IMRT radiation for HNC, so that may be an option maybe, and Cyberknife too.

http://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/diagnosis-treatment/cancer/pages/head-neck.aspx

I tried thinking of any possibilities, and hope the doctors come up with a good course of action, and know better than I do.

Good luck with everything, ask any questions, and keep us posted.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Delly #190003 06-18-2015 02:01 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hello you sound like you've had a rough time frown I bet you've give up hope so many time x dad had finished his radiation he has had a nodes removed and lymph glands so in not to sure it must of been in the surrounding tissue and has grown from there :(( he's going today but won't let me go with him but his friend going I think he can't cope with how upset we get :(( I really hope is confined to the lump and not spread he's been through do much as you have frown cancer is such a creul disease xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190005 06-18-2015 05:40 AM

Good luck with the doctors. Maybe there will be better news of hope after the meeting.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
06/17 Heart Attack Stent

Delly #190006 06-18-2015 07:15 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

There are other options. England is quite good with regards to medicine just make sure he is being treated at a top hospital. Hopefully they are doing trials.Usually they are... hugs.

Delly #190011 06-18-2015 10:33 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all thankyou for your messages x it's good news well good news compared to what I thought x the lump is localised it's not spread and can be cut out and just radiation in that area smile so so pleased with that result I really hope it works and he gets through it x they also checked his swallow with a stethoscope and she said it sounds as though you are swallowing and your lungs sound good which is even more good news x still not allowed to drink but he goes for a swallow test in few week after this operation :)) xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190012 06-18-2015 11:29 AM

Glad to hear the good news! I thought that's what they would do being radiation was finished, but still see no chemo/targeted therapy. Take one step at a time, and both of you will get through this. Curious as to the type of radiation, dosage, area radiated, when you have more details.

Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
06/17 Heart Attack Stent

Delly #190013 06-18-2015 12:00 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

That's soooo awesome... so happy for you...

Delly #190015 06-18-2015 12:53 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou I can't tell you how happy we are I really hope this works x I will update with more details Paul when I no , are you finished all treatment now ? I can't find the abbreviations so can't see what you've been through

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190016 06-18-2015 01:17 PM

Delly, abbreviations are in the very first heading. Its the New Here, Read This First section in both the Posting Etiquette and Common Abbreviations threads. Its also included in the link I send every new member thru a PM (private message).

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #190017 06-18-2015 02:13 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Delly, that is wonderful news on your Father. I hope the surgery is scheduled quickly . The swallowing sounds really promising too.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #190019 06-18-2015 03:11 PM

Yes, I'm finished with treatment Delly. My last date was 1/30/14 with Proton Therapy and Carboplatin, and all my scans, 2 PET/CT, CT, and 2 MRI have been clear since. I ran out of the allotted space, so not everything is listed, and abbreviated many items. If you have any questions, explanations let me know.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
06/17 Heart Attack Stent

Delly #190051 06-22-2015 01:35 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly, sorry to hear about your dad, been re reading your posts , thank god for the recent positives.
Not posted myself for a bit as my dad has just been diagnosed with gastro oesophageal cancer , I'm devastated. Think I'm taking this news worse than my own diagnosis. He too will be treated at the Christie.
Thinking of you and your dad ... Hugs xxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190053 06-22-2015 02:08 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

So sorry to hear about your dad that such sad news and I understand exactly how you feel it's heartbreaking that they have to go through all this when there older x I hope everything goes ok for him and keep strong xxx
That's good news for you Paul I'm glad everything clear I think it's time it have you a break xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190085 06-24-2015 09:29 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks Delly , time to pull that last bit of strength out of the bag , I'm sure it's lurking in there somewhere. Awaiting the MDT meeting then see what the treatment plan is , it's all so horribly familiar , not quite ready to be here again , and I'm pretty sure your not either.
Xx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190103 06-26-2015 02:11 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

I don't no how much strength is left in there :(( dad having op 8th July it's taking the lump and then using muscle and skin from his chest x might have to have breathing tube but hoping not as he really struggled with that last time but they said where the lump is he might not be able to lift his arm up also the cancer may grow back as it's very aggressive :((( I feel so sad for him and they say it all as though it's nothing frown I no it's there job and to them they just get the cancer out and don't really care how much of your face they leave but I can just picture him now in recovery and feel like I want to hide :((( I feel my job is to make him better but I no control over anything x his face is so swollen his lips are massive an sore the radiation is still working but he going through this now for nothing because it didn't even get rid of the cancer :(( xx feeling so helpless at the moment xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190104 06-26-2015 02:30 AM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

That is terrible, Delly. Much love to your father. i know what you mean about matter-of-fact surgeons and the feeling that everything is out of your control. Are you receiving counselling? Does your father have a therapist or someone like that from the Cancer Society?

Best wishes
Maureen

Delly #190107 06-26-2015 08:18 AM

Take one day at a time Delly. I had the pectoral flap with my neck dissection for recurrent neck cancer. It's to protect the carotid artery, and in my case, to do reirridation. I did fine with lifting my arm afterwards, did PT, although it was slightly more limited. I hope your husband has even better results.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
06/17 Heart Attack Stent

Delly #190191 07-07-2015 10:02 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all sorry not been on x quick update operation Saturday in praying this one works frown x none of us have any counciling and nobody comes to see dad we seen McMillan nurse at clinic but she hopeless , we have recently found a lady who comes to see my dad 2 times a week but nobody has pit us in contact with anyone she is a lady who we came across by my auntie cleaning for her friend x she works at spring hill hospice and she has sorted some things for dad x every week we go hospital we tell them about the saliva every week they say ok we can try things but nothing got done this lady is trying some tablets so it's as easy as that and nobody helped ! Xx hope everyone doing ok xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190192 07-07-2015 12:15 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hi Delly. The woman who is helping your father sounds promising but I really think you need more help. My dentist told me that botox injections in some saliva glands can reduce excess saliva. I have no idea if that is relevant but I just want to help. I just wish a social worker or cancer nurse or what we call a district nurse could come and check your dad frequently.

Best wishes!

Delly #190197 07-07-2015 03:18 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Or thankyou yes I think this lady is going to help dad she said there will be nurses coming she will make sure if it smile x Botox was mentioned so that's a possibility if these tablets are no good x I think we will get help now she seems to be pushing for it even just visiting him as he lives alone so gets fed up is go every day but sometimes only sees me for days my brother doesn't go down I've said my piece but I can't force them my sister comes couple times a week I just don't no how they can not go down it's just part of my day now and I couldn't not see him x is everything ok with you now x are you able to eat and drink is all your scans clear xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190207 07-07-2015 11:21 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, Kris too found that after his total Glossectomy he had excess secretions and used to dribble a lot. He still , more than 3 years later , has to wipe his mouth dry with a tissue/ hanky. He also rinses frequently with a salt baking soda mixture, but these days often rinses with a soda drink such as lemonade. It is certainly better than it used to be.Kris went from the very dry mouth after his faction to this very wet mouth now. Not having a tongue to sweep the oral cavity and aid swallowing makes this difficult.
Best wishes to you both,
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #190209 07-08-2015 01:32 AM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Glad the woman you mention is onto it! Your father at 60 is still quite young and it's horrible this is happening to him. With regular help his quality of life should improve. It's not long since his treatment so I hope things settle down a bit. I'm doing well. I live alone too and might go a long time without talking to anyone. Then when I DO go to talk, the saliva wells up and I struggle not to dribble and spit. After I've been talking for a little while it improves. It makes mixing with people hard. The strangest thing is that I work in a Hospice shop one afternoon a week. While I'm busy serving customers I soon forget my mouth. I think it's the only time I get totally out of my "Im an oral cancer patient" mode! Best wishes to you. Continue being the good daughter you are but don't let the stress drag you down. Easy to say, I know:)

Delly #190234 07-10-2015 11:56 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Orr I thought dads saliva would dry up or at least not dribble it's so embarrassing for him when he's talking x he doesn't talk much to be honest x I think it effects more people than others frown x I hope tomorro goes ok I just hope they get it all this time cos radiation won't be used again x does anybody no how bad it is having a muscle put in the neck and skin graft are you able to still move it straight away I really don't no what to expect tomorro and it's playing on my mind the thought of seeing him when he waking up I wish I could run away for a little bit till he's ok :(( I would never do that but sometimes I can't cope with this image on my head like when I seen him after his glossectomy it broke my heart frown i hate seeing him like this I wish it would all go away :(( xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190237 07-10-2015 09:12 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

It is hard Delly. Sometimes when you are on the outside looking in it's kind of worse than for the person undergoing it who will only be half aware because of all the drugs. I hope you have some support from staff, social worker, other family members.

Your father won't want you to get horribly upset for his sake. I looked like a wounded soldier but fortunately my sons seemed to see me as their usual old mum in spite of that. I thought they would be repulsed but they didn't seem to be!!!

The dribbling situation might improve in time ... Botox might eventually come to the rescue but there's the surgery to go through first. Best wishesxxx

Delly #190238 07-10-2015 11:47 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Hi Delly, yes, this is hard. I found it very hard to watch Kris go through this. To be honest, I was devastated for him. For the effects on his life. It was terrible to see his embarrassment when he dribbled. But, this dribbling has got better. I think he has developed an awareness of when his mouth is wet. He wipes it out with a tissue. But, not always. I just pass him a tissue when he dribbles. Actually, people don't really care and are very accepting of the realities of Kris's life now.
I think you won't find this next surgery much different from his Glossectomy surgery. He will have a swollen face and neck, he will have tubes, he will be a bit drowsy . Just treat him as your much loved Dad. Which he is. I never reacted to how Kris looked, neither did our 3 sons. . If you feel a bit overwhelmed , just leave the room for a few minutes until you regain your composure. I'm sure you will be okay.
I understand the wanting to run away. I still sometimes wish we could slip into the parallel universe where this hasn't happened to us.
Hoping for a great outcome and quick recovery from this next surgery for Dad.
Thinking of you both,
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #190257 07-13-2015 05:20 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

You've done so well tammy x I feel in being quite strong I just cry on my own wipe my tears put makeup back on and face it again x dads operation went well he looked great when I went to see him Saturday obviously he was on his morphine so felt amazing ha x he can still raise his arm which was a worry as they said he wouldn't be able to x he can move his neck but more as they cut some scar tissue away and replaced with the new skin and it a lot more supple x was in good spirits for last 2 days and seemed relieved it was all over xx alpaca you seem to do very well also it just makes you realise how strong you can actually be I bet your all very proud of yourselves 😀 xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190349 07-23-2015 01:31 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all quick update dad having more radiation on the skin graft area just to make sure it gone hopefully it has xx he's face very swollen frown finding it hard to speak with how much his lips swell frown how long does the swelling take to go it's been months some days it's really bad and others goes down slightly x I no it's a major operation and no time heals but will the swelling all go eventually ? X been had stitches out today and graft looks good and neat x had swallow test this afternoon and we had the best news ever :)) he can swallow it's going the right way :))) xx they said fluid and maybe some watery soup but he tried beef broth and couldn't get it down but I think speech therapy will help him with this and hopefully can eat blended things eventually xx it's a roller coaster ride as you all no xx oh yes dad drove today he picked me up smile so that's another massive achievement smile xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190350 07-23-2015 01:58 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly ,
Glad to see your still hanging on in there . It certainly is a roller coaster ride . Hey fab news about your dad back driving , he's doing great . I didn't drive for 8.5 months .
They're not able to treat my dads cancer , the outcome of the MDT at Christies was that there's no treatment options the cancer is far to aggressive and the tumour in his tummy and oesophagus is too large 39cm. Totally devastated unable to deal with this shocked and numb .
Sending you a hug and I applaud your strength xxxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190352 07-24-2015 01:24 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Orr this is such sad news :(( I'm so sorry to hear about your dad I bet your world has fell apart frown how is he coping with the news they seem to cope better than us don't they x Orr I can only imagine how your feeling and I'm only strong because there's no other choice and you will find the strength to help your dad deal with it all x I'm so sorry I wish I had a magic wand to make everybody better xx big hugs to you and your family xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190356 07-24-2015 12:38 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Delly I think it is very exciting that your father has the all clear to swallow again!

Delly #190359 07-24-2015 02:04 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

I no alpaca 😀 very big thing as the surgeon said he doesn't think he will ever eat or drink again xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190361 07-25-2015 12:52 AM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

I have always thought that he would be able to swallow. It just a matter of him finding out how. Our SLT says she can't explain how Kris is able to swallow, but he does. Yay for your Dad. Great news.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #190368 07-26-2015 10:35 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

I no you have tammy smile I thought so but then the surgeon who did op said he doesn't think. He will swallow again well he was wrong ha xx we going Christies Wednesday for a plate of lead made for the new area to be radiated dad glad he doesn't need a mask this time and probably doesn't have to lie flat which he struggles with xx just 20 sessions this time then hopefully onwards and upwards and create some sort of life again xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190391 08-01-2015 12:37 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all how are you doing di x just a quick question dads swelling is so bad his lips look like they could burst frown his speech is really bad because of the swelling I really don't no why it's so bad still xx radiation starts Wednesday I feel so sorry for him he's so down frown xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190392 08-01-2015 01:01 PM

Delly, if the swelling is affecting his breathing take him to the ER right away. Im sorry I dont know what could be causing the swelling. Pay close attention to this and if it worsens then he should have medical attention. Or if you think he should be seen now then take him in. I always advise caregivers and patients to err on the side of caution and go get checked if its something that you consider serious. Better to get checked for something small than to sit at home suffering and it turns out to be something life threatening.

Best wishes!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #190393 08-01-2015 01:23 PM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Christine is right. You have no way of knowing if the swelling is affecting his airway. Go to Emergency now.

Gloria

Delly #190394 08-01-2015 02:04 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

It's not causing trouble with breathing it's been like this since operation but some days it's a little better but the last week it's been really bad he's seen numerous people this week and they just say it's post operative swelling but it's so bad his lips are massive , the physio said they can do stuff but after all radiation x just wondered how long swelling takes to go after the glossectomy and also he has had his other operation so maybe it collecting fluid for that area as well , no lymph nodes do no where to drain , they say it will find other roots out of the body but it been about 5 month now since glossectomy xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190413 08-05-2015 10:45 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hi Delly. I can't remember how long my swelling lasted. I know it was quite a long time and if the medical professionals he sees think it's normal it probably is. I thought I looked like a puffer fish after surgery but that eventually went down followed by a lower level of swelling that lasted months. I wish your father well.

Delly #190423 08-07-2015 01:38 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly
Thanks for asking about my dad , he's not good just taking things one day at a time . Hope your dads over the worst and is getting stronger everyday . You are coping very well with everything , I will have to take a leaf out of your book ! So very very hard to watch somebody you've loved and looked up too so poorly and frightened , my heart is broken. X

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190435 08-10-2015 05:45 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi di so sorry to hear that x I'm not coping inside but trying to on the outside x dads very down started radiation today his face is so so swollen his lips look like they could pop x I was dressing his skin graft other night and I noticed a lump frown nobody seems concerned except me so will have to wait and see x it's weeping and I think looks like his other tumour did ;( I really really hope I'm wrong , dads just sleeping all the time and spends a lot of the day in bed I'm thinking this is what's causing the swelling as his not upright so it won't drain away x very very hard to see them like this I cry when I leave but never in front of him because he doesn't like to see me like that xx I hope you find done strength inside to help X and I completely understand how your feeling as my heart is broken to ;(( xx and thankyou for the kind wishes alpaca xx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190554 08-23-2015 04:10 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi all it's with an aching heart I'm telling you that my dad passed away yesterday :((( the lump under neck was cancer and had been getting worse and the tumour had a hole in it then two more lumps have developed over a week x dad hasn't been sleeping as he has been that worried and it was all playing on his mind and he became so scared he started seeing things frown it's been awful to watch his struggle but his mind just couldn't cope and he was so sleep deprived he just couldn't cope they had to sedate him but everhtime he woke up he was panicking and seeing things and so worried and scared so they had to sedate him x the doctor said they had to keep him sedated and if his air ways give in they couldn't ressusate because of the disease in his neck so they just kept him asleep till he took his last breathe at 1.15 yesterday :((( I'm absolutky heartbroken but I no he's at rest now ;( how awful to be that scared you can make your mind do things like that x I love him so much and I will miss him with all my heart xxxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190555 08-23-2015 04:48 AM

Im so very sorry for your loss, Delly! May the memories of happier, healthier of times help to ease your sorrow.

RIP

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Delly #190556 08-23-2015 08:17 AM

Delly,
It is such a cruel thing that he had to pass so young, when he should have had many years with his family. You did all you could to help him, but no matter how hard we try, we are only human, and cannot give back health in all cases. What it is within our power to do is to give love and care and companionship: you faced your own fear and distress to do this. Not all people are capable of doing what you did.
It is my hope and belief that your father is in a better place, now, free from pain. As you mourn for him, remember this, and remember that he would want his dear daughter to move back into the light.
Blessed be,
Maria

Last edited by Maria; 08-23-2015 08:19 AM.

Delly #190557 08-23-2015 08:18 AM

I have been following your posts. I am sorry to hear about your Dad. You did an amazing job of taking care of him. I will be praying for you.
Denise

Biopsy tongue 3/24/15
Diagnosis SCC tongue/floor of mouth
Partial glossectomy, resection and right neck dissection done
4/22/15
T2aN0M0
05/01/2015-no further treatment indicated at this time,
monthly check ups for two years
Delly #190558 08-23-2015 08:51 AM

I am sorry for your loss, remember the good times and cherish his love and know that he was blessed to have you as a caregiver! Semper-Fi Bob

Bob age 57, non smoker,non drinker, ended treatment on 11 Nov 2007 and started back to work on 29 Nov 2007. Veterans Day 2012 the Battle was lowered, folded, Taps was played and the Flag buried as I am know a 5 year survivor. Semper-FI !!!
Delly #190562 08-23-2015 11:09 AM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

So sorry to hear that, Delly. Take care of yourself and try to remember better days with you dad. Much love to you both.

Delly #190564 08-23-2015 01:35 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou everyone xxx I no the pain will heal and I no time will help x I will miss helping me dad and I love him with all my heart xx I told him when they sedated him how much I love him and that is was time to let go now and within 10 mins he was gone :(((( x I hope he heard me and i hope it brought him that not of help to let go ;((( xxxx thankyou for helping me with all your posts xxxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190565 08-23-2015 01:42 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Oh Delly , I am so sorry for your loss. Your father was so brave and so are you . I have followed your posts and think you have been amazing throughout . Im sure that you will feel very lost and wonder what life is all about at times . Your dad fought a brave battle with this truly awful disease and you stood at his side every step of the way . I'm with you when you say that your heart is broken , I'm watching my dad deteriorate each day , one minute I, wishing he would go peacefully in his sleep putting an end to his suffering and then selfishly I cannot imagine my life without him in it. ....... I hear you , do whatever you need to get through. Big hugs xxx
I'm at Christies Tuesday myself 3 month check up, whenever I go I wondered if I'd bump into you . Xxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190570 08-24-2015 02:04 AM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Delly, I am so sorry to read this update. Your Dad fought very bravely and you were an outstanding Caregiver and support to him.
May he rest in peace. Look after yourself.
Tammy

PET 6/11 clear.
Delly #190571 08-24-2015 02:40 AM

Delly,

I am very sorry to read about your father. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him and all that you did for him. He is now pain free. Cherish the happy memories. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
Delly #190573 08-24-2015 11:59 AM
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Delay, sorry that your father lost the fight, my condolences to you and your family.

Gloria

Delly #190588 08-25-2015 10:30 PM

Trying having him spit right before he lays down and maybe using a lubricating throat spray or drops to suck on. That mask that they snap on, think of it a super hero uniform or being shipped off into space. They played music during my radiation, I started out with light soothing but in the end I wanted loud and hard. It made me feel so much better.

After radiation and chemo, he's going to feel worse before he feels better. The two weeks right after and usually horrible and then slow climb out but not that slow. It's different for everyone.

Make sure he takes good care of his skin.

HPV+ P16 positive squamous cell carcinoma

Oct 2014 found neck node lumps
Went to Oncologist (TNBC)
Ultrasound
2 CT Scans - body/head and neck
Needle & core biopsy
Pet Scan
Biopsy to find primary w/ anesthesia - failed
Second Opinion found primary & biopsied
Biopsy confirmed HPV+ P16 Squamous cell carcinoma
Radical Neck Dissection 11/22/2014
32 lymph nodes removed - 3 positive
Ported 12/29/14
Chemo and rads to start January 5, 2015
cisplatin weekly 40 mg/m2
Rads M-F for 7 weeks
Delly #190591 08-26-2015 08:44 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou everyone for your kind words xx di I hope you are ok you've not only had this horrible disease yourself but now have to watch your dad suffer I really feel for you xx I'm going to look into helping family's who are going through similar x throughout this what I have realised there's not much support and sometimes you just want to talk to soneone that understands I hope I can go something xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190604 08-29-2015 12:29 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks Delly , one day at a time . Xxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190767 09-23-2015 08:56 AM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I am so sorry for your loss. Its horrifying and sad to lose a family member - particularly a parent... hugs and blessings to you and your family.

Delly #190855 10-02-2015 03:21 AM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi di how are you doing how is your dad xxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Delly #190877 10-05-2015 12:23 AM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Delly ,
My dads very poorly deteriorating a little more each day . He was so positive at first determined and hopeful , but over the last 2 months as the disease has progressed he's gradually going down hill before our eyes. He's so frightened he won't actually say that but we all see it and it's difficult to know what to keep saying . My dads always been a 'mans man' but he's stuck with 3 daughters. I'm the youngest , one sister is deaf with a learning disability and the other lives in Kent and has secondary progressive MS, so I'm doing the bulk of everything with my mum of course but she's really not managing . Bless her she's trying with every kind of food but he's just not interested the tumour is so large 39cm at diagnosis blocking the opening of his oesophagus the stent as prolonged his life but he coughs constantly and days he has a full feeling and feels sick but insists he has not much pain . But that's my dad I think he sees it as a weakness . He was riding his mountain bike at 72 up until January this year , so it's all been a massive shock . I can't help but feel he was so worried about me that he ignored his own symptoms he ignored his own. I remember when I was very ill he use to say ' if only it was me ..... Let me take it from you ' heart breaking Delly . Sometimes I want to just hug him but he's not that kind of a man ever been a demonstrative man but he knows I love him and vice versa. You think I would just be able to go and do it but I can't for some reason . He can't bear anyone to be upset around him so I have to be composed when I'm there and break down the minute I drive home . He was given an average of 3 weeks on the 13th June this year ...... But he's still here , my mum says he's dying in front of us a little more each day . Macmillan nurses involved but that's it , he never even went to Christies we were told there's nothing available for him at this late stage.
I hate to think what he's thinking I try to imagine how he must feel and its destroying me . You know you've been there and I think the way you supported your dad and how you pulled out all the stops for him was remarkable , I feel so helpless . Any way how are you and your family ? I think about you often , one big extended family here aren't we , sharing our stories and advice ? Would be lost without this forum . My dad helped me financially after I was ill nobody would touch me with a new mortgage , I did have critical injuries cover and my existing one got paid off thank fully but I wanted to move closer to all my family and the area is much more expensive . Dad gave me the money no questions asked and insisted I reduce my hours at work as it's been a long recovery period for me , I'm still not there yet but doing my best . He's such a decent man never asked for much and lead a clean life so unfair . Phew that was a bit of an off load , sorry !
Sending you big understanding hugs xxxx

T4 SCC left tonsil
Trismus
TX
NG tube 9 weeks
2 month checks
Delly #190888 10-07-2015 01:53 PM
Delly Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Or di I'm Absolutly heartbroken reading this x I no exactly what your feeling :(( I'm so sad for you I can only imagine what your dad is thinking x one thing I will say is just hug him my dad was so like yours never said he loved us was a mans man never wanted to trouble any one x but then became so scared and do vunerable and wanted me to lie hugging him on the bed at Christies or hold his hand ,:( I used to Tx that I loved him and he'd say it back smile xx I wish I could help you in some way but Iim hopeless I cry all the time I dream about him every night and I look for signs he's ok :(( it's awful and I can only hope your dad doesn't suffer for much longer even though you don't want to let them go it's so creul for them to live like that xxx I really feel for you my heart breaks for you and your family xxx be strong di I also couldn't cry in front of dad he hated making me upset so I think all my tears fall now every day xx I have a letter my dad wrote day before he died but it's not clear as the sedation made him wrote over the words but it says something like I'm do sorry this happened you done great something bout home and then all the best dad :(((( I wish I knew what it said I keep it with me and I just wish I could ask him :((( xxxxxx

Father 60 years old
Diagnoised oc jan 15
Peg fitted 27/2/15
Rt 14/5/2015

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260