Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
kitkat Offline OP
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hi, I'm a 37 year old mother of three from Canada and even though I've posted once before I thought I would formally say hi. I have a benign salivary gland tumor that was just recently diagnosed (October). But I have actually had the lump in my upper palate for about 3 years but always assumed it was nothing as there was no pain associated with it. It was through a routine dental visit that it was caught and I was referred to an oral surgeon. I have a lot of questions about the procedure that I'm hoping people can help me with.

Right now I am struggling with the choice of providers. I have the option of getting it removed through a private clinic that my insurance will pay for. This was who I was initially referred to when my dentist spotted the lesion in my mouth. She is a competent oral surgeon but I wanted to get a second prior to having a hole cut in my palate.

I saw an oral pathologist and oral surgeon that works out of a hospital that I ultimately decided I wanted to go with. I wouldn't have to bother with insurance, I was more comfortable with the thought of going under a general in a hospital setting and they were also going to have me fitted for a guard after the surgery. The oral surgeon is also supposed to have great expertise is this type of surgery (his bedside manner however, leaves much to be desired).

Here is the issue, I have a 13 month old child that I have to care for, and getting the surgery requires a lot of planning. My husband will need to take time off work to watch our son for the first 5 or so days and I also need to arrange childcare for the day of the surgery so my husband can drive me and take me home. Apparently the surgeon at the hospital is unable to provide surgery dates ahead of time. The explanation provided is that they are not given operating room priority and just have to take the dates they are given. So for example, they called me today to have the surgery on Friday. Not going to work on such short notice. Right now when I'm going to get it done is all up in the air....I'm not sure what's going to happen.

I have a lot of anxiety about getting it done. I want it OUT. Even though its benign I worry that its a ticking time bomb thats either going to get bigger or turn into cancer (which the oral surgeon said is a possibility even though years and years would have to lapse).

I've been thinking about using the private oral surgeon. My issue though is that no guard would be provided. She said she would provide "dressings" for the wound and that it ultimately would need to granulate on its on. I'm also unsure of her expertise with this specific procedure...as I'm sure your all aware there's a precision to the resection. To much and your looking at more healing and to little there's a possibility of it coming back.

Does the guard aid in healing or protect against infection? Is it really a big deal to have when getting this type of procedure?

Also, does anyone have direct experience and can share what I can expect in terms of how long it will take to heal, pain, eating etc??

Thanks so much if you've gotten this far! I know I've been rambling smile

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF.

Your questions are not easy to respond to. None of us here are medical professionals who have years of study or medical experience to help answer your questions. While I would like to be able to give you support with medical advice, Im simply not qualified.

An informed reply also depends on your specific anatomy and the size of your tumor. If you are able to make another appointment with the second surgeon, they should be able to answer more of your questions. Its natural for the patient to have many questions, not all doctors take enough time to answer everything and ease the patients fears and concerns. Im not sure if there is a difference with the surgery weather the tumor is cancerous or not. The doc may need larger margins if the tumor is cancerous.

There are only a few who have had this specific surgery. But again it may be comparing apples to oranges because of the tumor being non-cancerous. Hopefully someone with this exact type of surgery will be able to respond to your questions with more info.

Wishing you all the very best with everything (and your little one too).

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hey - where are you in Canada?

I would go with a TOP ENT...

If you are in mississauga... PM me.

Welcome!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23