Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187994 01-28-2015 08:29 PM
OP Offline

Hi All, first time on this forum. I'm from down south in Australia and recently had surgery to remove a cancer on the floor of my mouth and a section of the side of my tongue as it was pre-cancerous. They took the graft & artery from my forum to replace the lost tissue. I started noticing a slimy feeling on the back of my tongue in the area of the graft and when i asked the surgeon he really didnt say much. Upon close inspection i can see a lot of fine hairs on the graft on my tongue and its these that are creating the "slime". Has anyone experienced the same post surgery and what did you do to get rid of it? I'm contemplation laser surgery to get rid of it. I will not be having chemo or radio therapy at this stage, they believe they got everything. Lucky as hell in one way, but radiotherapy kills off all the hairs on the tongue i have been told. Help please, im constantly sucking at this area and brushing it and using tongue scrapers etc etc. Nothing works.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF, Paul!

Unfortunately, hair on the new tongue is a something most patients who have this type of graph experience. If you use the search bar in the top right corner, you will find other posts about it. Use only the word hair or hairy for best results.

Have you discussed this problem with your doctor?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Yeah - I've heard of this. My graft was from the inside of my wrist - thankfully I don't have that issue. As Christine said it is a common problem. Hopefully this is the worst of it and you won't have to worry about rads. You could have it lasered but that would likely hurt... I would wait until your tongue is fully healed (say six months) before doing anything about it. One of the guys on here would have to trim it... admittedly KINDA GROSS. But this disease does that to you. It may after a while wear away as you use it more. The guy I was talking about was unable to eat by mouth so it would essentially grow and grow. I think over time that may change and the hairs will wear away. Some else here might be more helpful. Hugs and welcome.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My flap was taken from the inside of my wrist as well, but there were still some hairs that came along for the ride. They went away after maybe six months, although I did have radiation, so maybe that's what killed the hairs off.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kris's flap was taken from his abdomen and did have hairs. After about 6 months they disappeared. I would just wait awhile and would not recommend laser treatment.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

My partner had second cancer removed in throat and flap for reconstruction from his chin. He’s Italian so lots of hair. Same experience with slime and hair growth since radiation was not required.
Doctor cuts hair when its an issue for partner and “kills” hair follicles with an instrument. He’s on fifth treatment and doctor has to review after each session to determine if more treatment is required to stop the hair follicles from growing. Also depends on partners comfort/discomfort with any remaining hair.
Laser is not possible since it’s in his throat.
So
1. Trimming hair when required
2. Permanent hair removal but laser is not possible…takes about 10 minutes of surgeons time with patient under I believe light sedation. It’s a surgical procedure each time so from start to finish can be 3-4 hours with preop and postop.
We have to drive 2.5 hours each way for top notch care.

I had a large (almost 8 inches long) graft taken from left thigh to replace floor of mouth all the way down my throat.
It was hairy, had a lot of chuckles, braid it? Cut it? Comb it?

The only thing Drs said was don’t pluck them and if you trim be very careful and don’t cut the skin, can’t feel it and big chance of infection.
Did a lot of swabbing to keep the “icky” junk under control.

It’s almost all gone now, came out on it’s own, enzymes and so forth. Took about 7 months for it to take its course.

It was insane, have to laugh at some of this shtuff, no point looking at downside all the time, we all have too much more to accomplish while we’re still here!

This too, shall pass!

1st time around was 2010, Sqamous Cell Carcinoma. Radiation, chemo, surgery: Radical neck dissection.
Cancer free until 2021.
This time around, started 2021, tumors on tongue.
May 2021 partial glossectomy, October ‘21 removal of a few more recurring on tongue.
February til May 2022 immunotherapy....no improvement
July 2022, total glossectomy, living the new normal.
PET February’23 another SCC on neck....next surgery April ‘23, see where it goes from here.
Still fighting.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics