Hi, all. Many of you have/will have issues with your mouth, throat, teeth, swallowing etc., during and following treatment, and issues with abnormal saliva production. It is a miserable thing, and can even get quite scarey.

My radiotherapist had a 'special mix' for mouthwashes, which includes a minor pain-killer, plus an ingredient that is apparently not commonly used in France, but is produced in the US. Of course, check with your own doctor first before following this.

500 cc Bicarb of soda 14%
1 gram acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin, I believe!)
20 ml of injectable xylocaine 2%
5 soup spoons of Glyco-Thymoline 55

This last is the 'extra'. I am ABSOLUTELY not selling this product, I merely wish to make people aware of it, I understand that it is available over the counter in the US, sold as a cosmetic for oral hygiene.

If anyone would like more info., I have also corresponded with the owners and have their email (I put them in touch directly with my radiotherapist, who is a fan and wanted to assist in research. One of the owners' 'lifelong career has been in the field of oncology, first as a nurse and now as a cancer program administrator'; it is she who first started to propose it for mucosity treatment).

After some weeks - or maybe a bit longer - I chose to stop adding it as I was finding it made me feel nauseous. But in the interim, it is an interesting product, and I believe it did help with the horrible saliva issues.

Another thing I was recommended was chamomile tea. It is soothing, and it has known therapeutic properties.

General recommendations:
- Use only a soft tooth brush. Don't use tooth picks
- If you have dentures, clean with clean water several times a day (+ bicarb is no doubt ok)
- Wash face using only simple soap - do you call it hyper-fat in English? hyper-gras? (such as savon de Marseille), unperfumed, rinse with clear water
- Do not use a flannel, wash with hands only
- Pat dry with soft clean towel
- Wear loose fitting cotton tops that do not irritate the neck
- For men - only use an electric razor, no after shave
- No closed shirt collars
- No creams or lotions or deodorants on the neck and face other than what may be prescribed

Hope it may help

6/09 lump undr chin
10/09 SCC R tonsular fossa T4N0M0, spread to tongue
11/09 R tonslctmy, partl glssctmy, nd
2/10 IMRTx30, Cispltnx3
5/10 thrombosis port cath remvd L jugular blckd
1/12 mets R lung, part lung remvd
1/13 mets R lung
2/13 partl lobectmy upper R lobe
12/14 MRI enlrgd nodes meta oesophgs
1/15 DX recur 4cm lymph
2/15 Start 6xCispltn+Erbitx+?