Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Budl Offline OP
OP Offline

I was feeling kind of smug after the first 2 weeks (out of six)of treatment. No real noticeable side effects except a little increase in phlegm and a slight dry mouth. Today, after treatment #11, my wife and I went to lunch at a restaurant. I ordered fettuccini alfredo. Since I don't have teeth I am sorta limited but today I noticed I couldn't taste anything. BUMMER! I'm fortunate (or blessed) that I'm not experiencing pain or trouble swallowing yet but I was not prepared for the effect not tasting would have on my attitude. Eating is now just another chore that takes time away from stuff I would rather be doing. I found myself wolfing my lunch down just so we could hurry and get away from the table and on to something more enjoyable. I have to be careful that I don't present myself as a sulking brat to my wife and ruin her dining experience. It aint her fault. I need to remind myself of this often. Thanks to you all I have been warned about what may be coming but I guess I don't have the experience until I have the experience. I don't have to look far to realized my piddlin little problems are just "couldabins", as in could have been worse. Thanks for your ears and your support.
Bud

Male, age 65, smoker, former drinker. Retired corp. pilot. diagnosed with stage I squamous cell in the lower tongue. Fairly active. I don't "exercise" exercise but work in the lawn and garden and work on my hot rod cars.
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

It happens suddenly doesn't it? Then one day a little while after treatment ends you will dutifully drink a chocolate milk and realize that you can actually taste it. In my case it was after 10 days, for others it might be two years!

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I still haven't found all of my sweet taste... tis gone.. though I can definitely live without it for the most part - Somethings I get on a very minimal level... it's almost like it is trying training the buds to recognize it again.. Weird...
I mean I can taste a cookie now and then. Not the full sweetness but hints that nudge my memory. Fruits still suck. I now hate the texture and have minimal taste for bananas unless its in my smoothie, and star fruit, and grape fruit, oranges and grapes are all bitter. if it is bland and doesn't burn then I know it's a very sweet fruit. I always ask my hubby. Surprisingly pineapple tastes good... go figure... Regardless I can definitely do without the sugar. hugs

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

We are all so different. I taste most fruit okay, and most sweets okay. For me, it's the savory tastes like chicken that haven't returned (one year post treatment). A hamburger is kinda boring to eat, little taste. But 6 months ago all red meat tasted bad. Now a steak from the grill tastes pretty good, so progress is coming, it's just slow.

Bud, you are doing great. Side effects will probably get worse before end of treatment, but you seem to have the right mental attitude to get through them when they do.

Do you miss flying? I used to do aerobatics in a Decathlon and Pitts and miss it badly (no aerobatic airplanes available for rent where I live now).

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics