Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

My day kinda sucked. I was there from 8am til after 6pm and now I can't sleep because of the steroids and I had a low dose. It was being there so long that did me in. They decided to treat me despite the terrible cold. I was falling asleep and drooling in the chair during chemo. By the end of the day, I think I have my appointments better organized. Chemo days are going to be long but that was a bit over the top. I should have just left and went to museum or something instead of waiting there like that, had some lunch. They forgot to give a prscpt for one of meds I am supposed to be taking (more steroids) so I am taking another around the clock. I am feeling some peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet.

Thanks PaulB, Why not tap water? I always use tap. I think I live too close to go to Hope Lodge. I live in Brooklyn but the commute door to door via subway is more than an hour. Driving there, the parking is soooooo expensive and car fare through the roof. I am going to talk to a social worker but was thinking the exercise would be good for me.

Jeff, we're off and running. Remember to drink lots of water tomorrow! I packed a bag of things to do. I was in the chair for more than 3 hours. I was really happy I brought a little notebook that was recommended by Midwest wife. What kind of chemo and how much? I put mine in my signature.

Bring along some creature comforts for the treatment. I was happy to have my favorite mag with me and that bar so I had something to eat. I also brought one of those mugs that keeps things heated and had tea all day. I wish I had brought my own tea bags though as they were limited. I spent time trying to organize my calender and appointments.

Tomorrow, I see a nutritionist too and am hoping for lots of tips for eating healthy. I am hearing a lot of mixed information about things like raw veggies or not, supplements or not, etc. I am hoping we can do some juicing to get in some healthy things.

Also, trying to develop good habit like gargling, tooth brushing, gargling. I think I will try to make a chart. I loose track of what I have done or not.

HPV+ P16 positive squamous cell carcinoma

Oct 2014 found neck node lumps
Went to Oncologist (TNBC)
Ultrasound
2 CT Scans - body/head and neck
Needle & core biopsy
Pet Scan
Biopsy to find primary w/ anesthesia - failed
Second Opinion found primary & biopsied
Biopsy confirmed HPV+ P16 Squamous cell carcinoma
Radical Neck Dissection 11/22/2014
32 lymph nodes removed - 3 positive
Ported 12/29/14
Chemo and rads to start January 5, 2015
cisplatin weekly 40 mg/m2
Rads M-F for 7 weeks
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I got very philosophical about long waits in hospital. If you're going to feel like crap, it doesn't matter much whether you're at home waiting to feel better or at the hospital waiting to feel better. You quickly learn what to bring to keep you occupied. My wife brought her knitting, I always made sure I had my phone and charger.

The nutritionist will be good for you. Write things down, ask lots of questions. Best to know all you can now, it gets harder to take in all the info later. Bring your caregiver if possible, a second set of ears is very helpful.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Usually the first day is the worst going through the unknown, getting instructions, scheduling. It should become more routine as time goes by.

The decadron/Prednisone kept me up too. It also raised my blood sugar to very high levels being a diabetic, so I had to adjust my medications.

Let the doctors/medical team know about the neuropathy. They can slow down the infusions, reduce dosage, take other measures to help, if needed. It can become permanent in some cases, like mine, but often goes away after treatment. The same goes for hearing, eyesight changes to let the staff know.

As far as the neti pot, I understand some tap water may have bacteria, organisms, and other containments. Ingested, these may be killed by the stomach acid, but bacteria may survive in the nasal passages, so that's why they recommend bottled, distilled, boiled or sterile water. When I use my humidifier at home, and use tap water, I can see all the containments, which clog the filter.

An hour is an hour no matter where you are coming from. I live over the bridge from you, and was able to stay at Hope Lodge, as did others. A caretaker over the age of 18 can stay with you or you can stay alone, which I did, but will need a medical note saying you are able to care for yourself. Many go home on weekends.

As suggested in another post, you may want to see about help with dropping off/picking up your children from school, doing other chores. American Cancer Society has volunteer drivers to drive you to and from treatment, but I was unable to find any in NYC to take me to NJ, and others may have gotten transportation/gas money, but those funds were not available here, but give them a call, If needed.

I hope this helps, and today is a better day.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

QueeKong,
Finished up my first day of chemo. My chemo is the cisplatin and its 100mg for two days in a row every three weeks. We will see here shortly how bad the nausea and everything gets. I was told to expect it to hit in the morning. I am going to try to get ahead of it with the pills they gave me tonight. I am also hoping to be able to eat as much as I can before the radiation gets to me. Good luck with all of yours and we can hope we fly right through it all.

Jeff - 41yrs old/previous smoker
SCC buccal mucosa/jaw bone Stage 4
Nov '14 Partial Mandibulectomy with fibula flap, neck dissection
Jan '15 Rads x35 Cisplatin x2
Apr '15 PET/CT concerning area Follow up MRI no mass.
July '15 PET/CT 11mm nodule in right lower lobe the lung.
Oct '15 PET/CT right lung nodule 3cm mass also new left lung nodules
Nov '15 erbitux
Mar '16 CT tumors are growing again, waiting on next step
June'16 hospice had 3 Opdivo infusions trying to regain health
OP Offline

Thanks for the advice, I've got to look into rides. I was expecting to take the train for most of the treatments but can barely get out of bed. I keep running a low grade fever. I told them and they gave me fluids yesterday. I love 4 lbs over night sweating yesterday. I'm drinking things and using the neti pot with filtered water in the future. I wish they would have waited to start til I was past this cold. Sorry to complain but I am bad off. I've lost my voice from the coughing. And I know this is only the start.

Ultrasound
Needle & core biopsy
Pet Scan
Ported 12/29/14
Rads M-F for 7 weeks
OP Offline

Jeff,
That's a pretty hefty dose, How are you doing today?

Ultrasound
Needle & core biopsy
Pet Scan
Ported 12/29/14
Rads M-F for 7 weeks
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Call The American Cancer Society. They are available any time, 24-7. I am a volunteer driver take patients to their appointments. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of others around the country that also drive. This group is made up of mostly fellow cancer survivors and caregivers. They will provide door to door service.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Taking the train is rough, not to mention all the people. If all else fails, another option is New York City Access-A-Ride. You can probably qualify for temporary transportation being in cancer treatment or for as long as needed. You can take it door to door anywhere in NYC, for any reason, 24hrs, and is the same price as the MTA fare, $2.50 each way, and may take another passenger. In some boroughs you can take a black car service instead to certain locations, same fare. The only problem is the application interview time, around 30 days, but maybe it can be expedited. You can call to ask, request an application, if interested.

New York City Transit
Para Transit Division
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11301
1(877) 337-2017

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

QueenKong, I sympathise with the transport situation. I tried to be independent and catch the bus but ended up using the Cancer Volunteer Driver service Christine mentioned. It was interesting meeting fellow patients and conversation never flagged during the 40 minute drive. I found I had to have back-up if there was a day they couldn't help me but even that worked out better than I dared hope.

Pity about the cold and hope it clears up soon.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.

QueenKong,
Sounds like a rough start. I couldn't imagine dealing with a cold at this point. I was doing ok until today. The nausea really hit today. I hope it slows down soon and I can get back to hydration and eating. The rads haven't been too bad. Neck is starting to get red and stiff. I hope you can find some rides to treatment and I hope you knock that cold off quickly.

Jeff - 41yrs old/previous smoker
SCC buccal mucosa/jaw bone Stage 4
Nov '14 Partial Mandibulectomy with fibula flap, neck dissection
Jan '15 Rads x35 Cisplatin x2
Apr '15 PET/CT concerning area Follow up MRI no mass.
July '15 PET/CT 11mm nodule in right lower lobe the lung.
Oct '15 PET/CT right lung nodule 3cm mass also new left lung nodules
Nov '15 erbitux
Mar '16 CT tumors are growing again, waiting on next step
June'16 hospice had 3 Opdivo infusions trying to regain health
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912