Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Budl Offline OP
OP Offline

Just received my second radiation treatment today. No side effects yet, of course, but I know they will be coming. They tell me I am getting 200 centigray per treatment. I would like to know where that is on the redneck scale, i.e. from "cellphone to the ear" to "glow in the dark".
2 down, 28 to go. I sure miss my teeth.

Bud

Male, age 65, smoker, former drinker. Retired corp. pilot. diagnosed with stage I squamous cell in the lower tongue. Fairly active. I don't "exercise" exercise but work in the lawn and garden and work on my hot rod cars.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Grays is a measure used in radiology. There are two version. I am told the old version uses centigray, more common today is just grays. Usually a number like 75 grays is mentioned. 75 grays is also 7500 centigrays. So 200 centigrays is 2 grays. 30 x 2 = 60 grays total.

The term fraction is used to describe the daily dose you receive.

Since the radiation is mapped across the area and receives different dosages the number is an average, not exact to any given area as it differs.

60 is on the low end of the range for effective killing effect.

Good luck

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Budl Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply Don. Does the lower per treatment dose imply that the side effects will be less severe?

Male, age 65, smoker, former drinker. Retired corp. pilot. diagnosed with stage I squamous cell in the lower tongue. Fairly active. I don't "exercise" exercise but work in the lawn and garden and work on my hot rod cars.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Bud. Let me see if I can answer the redneck part of the question smile

A typical IMRT treatment dose will be in the neighborhood of 70Gy (Gray Units) or 7000 cGy (centigray). A typical Dental X-RAY is in the neighborhood of 0.0005 cGy. If I am remembering correctly, using a cell phone was at least two orders of magnitude less and a non-ionizing type of radiation, but I can't find my notes....

Does that help?

Kevin

9 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Bud,

Since you are at stage one, this is the lowest level to stage the cancer. So, this is very good news for you. None of us are doctors here but it seems common sense that the lower staging allows lower dosage of radiation. From what I understand 60gy is the lowest to be effective; so, that is why you are probably getting the lower range of dose.

Radiation is a very rough treatment. How much easier it is at 60 vs 75, I have no idea. Read and prepare for the worst, any lessened side effects consider a gift.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Budl radiation effects are cumulative, like exposure to the sun. The first hits you won't notice at all, maybe not for the first couple of weeks.

Keep ahead of it before it becomes a problem. Don't wait until your skin is blistering and peeling, you should have a good moisturiser on it several times a day, but never less than an hour before treatment (it acts like cooking oil).

Oral hygiene is very important, salt/bicarb mouthwashes several times a day. None of this should be new to you, but there is a tendency to wait until you have a problem before doing anything about it. Gargling and using moisturiser in the early days seems silly when there is no pain and no noticeable effects. Keeping ahead of the symptoms will make your recovery much easier and shorter.

Report any changes in symptoms to the medics during and after your treatment. Every journey is a little different and they've seen it all. They are very experienced in what works and what doesn't, so ask them for recommendations on moisturisers, mouth washes etc.

Keep on top of your intake, as your appetite starts to drop off make sure you are getting in your calories and fluids. When things start to change, like appetite, sleeping, toileting, talk to the medics. Pain management, mental health, all challenges which may new to you can all be made easier by getting ahead of them early.

I know you had surgery, but you can be glad about one thing, at least you escaped chemo!

Some people breeze through radiation with not many effects, I hope you're one of those. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users