Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#186928 11-29-2014 03:17 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

So our relationship with Vitamix has evolved, and in December OCF is going to work on giving away a limited number of units to people who can demonstrate both financial need (on disability) and medical need, (doctors letter stetting that long-term or permanent PEG feeding is required, or that acute dysphagia requires a liquid oral diet as a result of ORAL CANCER. Please note that tons of people are on PEG systems from strokes and so much more. OCF cannot be the entity that takes care of all these people, but we want to work with those that end up in this place from oral cancer.

Secondarily. OCF is a certified Vitamix dealer. So we can sell anything that they make. We have lots of different people on these that we know, and everyone has urged us to put our efforts into one of their newest offerings the 7500. It has the high horsepower motor, newest design bowl and blades, is quieter than other models, and other features. We have already had both new and reconditioned certified (with full warrantee) units in people's hands, and everyone agrees this is the one that without the extra costs of programs which you really do not need, that does it all the best. They seem to have a good stock of reconditioned units. Note that these have mostly been used for an in store demonstration for a day, and any part that came in contact with food is changed out for brand new, and the motor is checked and re-certified, and new books CD's, and everything are added to the box. So really it is only the motor and base that was used for a day. Given the discount on these, I think it is the sweet deal.

Vitamix requires ALL their dealers from Amazon to Williams Sonoma to OCF to sell at the full retail price. There is no discounting allowed for anyone, not even a small non-profit trying to do good in the world. Dealers caught discounting will loose their dealerships. So the prices that you see on the Vitamix website are what they are. I tried to work something out with them, but it isn't happening. Know though that if you buy a unit, the small margin in it (we don't get the same discount -ie. profit margin- as Amazon who buys over 100,000 units from them a quarter) benefits the charity that you all care about. So while getting something that is cool and you want, it is also like making a donation to OCF.

Some of their dealers like WS or Amazon say things like - retail $725.00, but our price only $649.00!!! Nonsense. If you look at the Vitamix web site their retail is $649.00, so this is just making people THINK they are getting some discount they are actually are not.

We are still sorting our our corporate account code, but if you would like a unit, for now please call OCF directly, or even contact me by email, and I will place the orders for you. NOW, because we can't discount to you and we are going to make a little bit off of the order to keep the lights on at OCF, to launch this thing, we are considering giving you something that is not part of Vitamix to make choosing OCF a better deal. Right now what is in discussion is a Kroger or Albertson's gift card that we hope to be able to secure from them at around a $50 dollar value. So while Vitamix is getting their full price, you are essentially getting 50 bucks worth of food for free if you buy from OCF. So while this cuts what we would make in half, its good for you and for OCF.

Any questions, please post them here, and I will try to get to them quickly while I am traveling over the next few weeks for OCF.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Wow that sounds great! Love the coupon idea!

Brian Liebenow, Stage 2 NHL survivor (left tonsil), I eat everything through a PEG tube. http://travelingtubie.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-i-tubie.html
11/03 - started CHOP chemo
12/03 - remission
1/04 - finished chemo
4/04 - started 25 rads to make sure they got all the cancer
5/04 - stopped rads after 20 due to severe reaction to radiation
5/05 - began seeing damaging effects of radiation
7/08 - PEG
4/09 - 5th unsuccessful jaw surgery

Smile!! Laughter is the best medicine!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I'm happy to say I'm the proud owner of a Vitamix. DonFoo referred me to them and I was able to acquire a reconditioned model with full warranty for 50% off regular price. It's been a Godsend. It's a remarkable machine and we use it every day. From smoothies to soups to just about anything it's worth every penny.

All I needed was a letter from my doctor saying I needed it due to H&N cancer. I called and they were very helpful in every way. We paid around $250 plus shipping. I don't know what exact arrangements OCF has made but that's the deal I got.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

Last edited by fishmanpa; 12-04-2014 06:12 PM.

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Glad to hear your doing well and the Vitamix blender has worked out so well for you. From what Brian explained on a previous thread Vitamix's medical necessity program has been discontinued. It took months of negotiations for Brian to work out a deal with Vitamix. The current OCF Vitamix deal is spelled out in Brian's post above.

Vitamix thread

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I bought mine directly from Vitamix... that was in the summer of 2013

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since

Fishman... Do you have any Vitamix recipes to pass along? How about some soup recipes?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

So I'll say it one more time. It's is a great company that for several years had a medical needs program to sell them at a huge discount (50% off) to people that could prove they have a need. The fact that Vitamix discontinued their medical needs program that fishmanpa got is the very reason that OCF got involved with the company. We have far too many people in both medical and financial need to not try to help them out. I have already gotten units for 3 oral cancer people last week that tried to buy a discounted unit from Vitamix after reading threads here about their old program that is no longer in effect.

For those that do not qualify for OCF's out outright give away program, we sell them just like Amazon etc. and have access to their certified refurbished units that come with a full 7 year warranty and a really good discount compared to their brand new units. (I have one of these myself and I can't tell the difference between it and a new one.) While all of us who are affiliates or dealers of Vitamix are stuck on a fair trade map price ( non of us can discount one cent off the Vitamix retail price), for those that do not qualify for OCF's financial and medical needs free units, we hope there is some satisfaction in buying from the non profit that works for you. It isn't much of a commission that we make, but it all helps keep the lights on.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 12-05-2014 09:05 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brian makes a great point that recon units can be ordered via the OCF affiliate link with free shipping (not sure if applied to recon units). A basic unit is $260 so it is a super deal for anyone. Plus we all help OCF be the great place it is.

Support OCF!!!
Don

Note: I think the recon units are 5 year rather than 7 year warranties.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Great job, Brian!

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Today I placed orders for two more units that will be donated at no charge to patients who have qualified through OCF, both 7500 refurbished units, and one full price purchase of the same but new unit for someone with free shipping. So in our first week of doing this (there hasn't been a big announcement of OCF programs, it is spreading by word of mouth) 6 units have been given away. Obviously this in only one of OCF's many program costs so there will be a limited number of these given away each month, and when that month's funding for this runs out, people will be put on a waiting list for the next months units. I wish that we could help everyone, but we have sliced out of our total budget a few thousand dollars each month to do this. We are hoping to find a major donor that will match our money so that we can offer more of them. Obviously our research funding and some other things take precedent, but we will do what we can for as long as we can.

The Blendtec unit is also good, a bit cheaper, and we would get a slight better discount on buying them. But review of their unit on Amazon have not been as stellar as the VM unit. Vitamix is the premier brand, and as a company to deal with stands behind everything to the extreme. I am actually proud to have the OCF logo and their logo seen together. Their brand is golden� as I hope people think OCF's is as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics