Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

We cannot do a loaner program and get into issues of how clean the units are after someone uses them, what they were used to blend such as medications, and many other issues, and that involves another layer of logistics at OCF that we cannot support. And I repeat that a there is a small program still alive for people with financial disparities and medical needs at Vitamix, but you are competing with many others for what is only a few units.

We looked at all the units out there, Vitamix was the only one that had the ability to satisfy completely the issues with PEG feeding. If you would like to strain your blend before you put it in a PEG, by all means choose another company. This decision was made after consulting with several groups of Peggies, that are life-long users and listening to their input. But if you want pick out small seeds and spend time unclogging your tube according to them, by all means go somewhere else�. of course if you would like some of your purchase to support the non-profit that works for you, please give us a chance.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brian,

Too bad about the loaner program but totally understand the added layers due to objects used with food consumption. How about having a place on OCF that supports those that may no longer need or use one to offer them to other members.

OCF would not be involved in the transaction. Maybe something as simple as a sticky thread up top to let folks post their used Vitamix or other blenders. Maybe even other OC related things like suction machines for those whose insurance does not cover.

From time to time we see offers of excess liquid food show up here. Those kind of offers would be a perfect example of what could get posted there.

I fully support everyone who is purchasing a new Vitamix and has the means to do so to click on the banner on the right, absolutely!

Vitamix is clearly best in class. However, there are many who can not afford best in class and just might have to perform an extra step to strain their blended food.

I hope you know my intent is clearly not to divert or dissuade a single sale from anyone with means; rather, trying to assist and offer other options to the many who are already constrained financially and further burdened by financial hardships placed upon them due the OC.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

Don, if someone wants to part with their mixer and posts it here, it is going to be OK with us, and we would encourage it. But while I needed my mixer during in my treatments, I never wanted to part with it (even as a below average cook) for use in my kitchen. It replaced other machines with one thing that does it all -the Cuisinart is history and gone from the couter, as a couple pulses on the Vitamix does the same thing. So we are making soups and dips in it all the time, and I still eat one meal a day as a blended drink of whatever is laying around from fruits to veggies to even� yes, lunch meat that is about to go out of date tossed in. (For sure it's a nasty color, and isn't my favorite taste, but no one can argue with the nutritional value, nor the economic issue of not tossing out that orphaned last piece of turkey that isn't enough to do anything with).

I've even recently bought (before OCF's involvement) a new 7500 machine to replace my older one which now is in the kitchen of a friend's house. They are just too useful. So I encourage people to help others and offer things like this on the boards here, but once you have one of these things, you realize that it has many uses besides that period of your life where it was a necessity.

To kinda put this in perspective some interesting bits of stuff from talking to Vitamix. On an average QVC day selling them on TV, they will sell 28,000 units. That's not a typo. And QVC is not their biggest retailer, non of whom get to compete based on price. Pretty popular machine.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 10-25-2014 09:56 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Brian, did you just say (out loud) you made lunch meat taste worse...on PURPOSE.

My mother started using her Vitamix in the early 90's or late 80's. She always said it was the best thing that ever happened in the kitchen, next to her Jenn Air grill.

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

If it is a left over in the fridge�. it ends up in my smoothie. Waste not want not. As long as it is nutritious. I pass on that left over piece of cake Ingrid brings home occasionally. But this machine will turn anything into liquid, so it all goes in�.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 10-26-2014 10:28 AM.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics