Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Cheri,

My heart goes out to you and your husband, cancer shatters all that you know about your life and flips everything upsidown and inside out. The strange thing is that you and your husband will grow closer than you knew possible. Stephen and I were laying in bed last night looking back at our emotional state of desperation as though it was yesterday. We became closer because we lost all that we knew and rebuilt our life from scratch. There is a kind of nostalgia that comes from living through a profound existential experience. You too will feel that it is a rebirth of sort, you will make it through!

-Both of us needed a little medication to help with the panic attacks at first.

-My husband is an artist and managed to paint a watercolour the week before his surgery though he hadn't worked as of his diagnosis in September '13. He returned to painting the week after radiation but he struggles with energy levels still.

-Your husband must eat and sleep as much as he can pre surgery and you must do anything you can to gain your strength now. Eat, sleep, go for walks in new places, do everything you can to put yourselves first. Be firm and make sure your family respects your needs. You have all the right to think of your needs first, your health is number one.

-Make a list of all the things you will need help with while you are away and assign people to the tasks. Little things like frozen prepared meals such as pur�ed soups can come in handy once you are back home.

-You will want to meet your physio therapist as soon as you can(this is usually after surgery) and do the strengthening exercises to maintain range of motion.

- You will want to meet your speach pathologist ahead of the radiation to strengthen and maintain swallowing ability. The prescribed exercices must be done three times a day. My husband is 8 months post radiation and noticed that the scaring around his neck progressed and he must return to doing the swallowing exercices so that his throat closes completely when he eats.

-Ask yourself if you trust your medical team. If the answer is yes, trust them to do the heavy lifting but ask all the questions that will put your mind at rest. Try not to do too much internet reading, this was a really negative experience and futile in my case.

You have found the best spot in the world here! The connections you make are immediate and the knowledge is profound. I see now how positive the outlook can be and how critical it is to believe that you will make it. The level of care your husband will need will be outstanding and he will need you at his side after surgery. I moved into the hospital with him as soon as he was out of ICU. Being there 24/7 for Stephen was the most important thing I have ever done in my life.

(Side Note about Work options for you) Oct 24 '14 will be one year post op for my husband. I was not able to return to work until the next school year because of stress/shock and eventually exhaustion. I had the fortune of an employer who understood. My doctor put me on sick leave and my employer payed me all my accumulated sick pay which I never use so it was almost 6 months, after that the options are 'Employment Insurance' or long term disability if you have insurance and you qualify. Take the time you need people will understand and help you figure out the process.

Being present and open to your husband is the biggest gift you can give him. Focus on the now.

Keep reaching out, Sophie

husband 61@diagnosis painter
6/9/13 Exophylic invasive SCC IV(ext.gingivobuccal) 3cm+ mandibular/lytic/erosion, jugular/node9mmshort-axis
17/9/13 Dx(moderately aggressive)
24/10/13 left madiblectomy, mod radical neck disct, leg flap, NGtube
2/01/14 (30 tx)rads 60gy
N2b (2nodes under jaw) (rem. in tiny nerves) (rem. 30 nodes)
Clear margin, close 2mm inner cheek
15/05/14 cellulitis
3/12/14 Chest CT Clear
27/02/15 cellulitis
8/6/15 cellulitis
10/6/15 Osteomyelitis
Chrnlar Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for the new posts! We have laid low this weekend. Spent time with our 7 month old lab puppy, enjoyed the sunshine from our back patio, had dinner with some friends (needed to leave more early than normal because my husband was tired). Today we took our jeep on a trail for a picnic with the puppy. It was great to get out of the house and do normal things. Actually...this dx is making us slow down and smell the roses. We have been a on the go couple for the past 5 years with my husband's business, do alot of traveling and working weekends. But the past two weekends at home I've been so engrossed with research it was driving me crazy. I read an entire book in 2 days on caregivers and survivors of head and neck cancers.

I can say I really take comfort in having a place to learn and share.

Cheri-43 year old caregiver
51 year old husband with BOT Cancer, SCC, HPV16, enlarged lymph node at the neck, non-smoker, healthy and fit
ENT Appt 10-9-14
Biopsy 10-13-14, Results of Cancer 10-16-14, 1.8x2.2cm left side lymph node
1st Medical Oncologist appt 10-21-14, learned Stage 3 or early 4, T3N1Mx
1st Radiology Oncologist appt 10-30-14
PET Scan 10-27-14
1st weekly Erbitux chemo 11-12-14
PEG tube surgery 11-13-14
1st of 30 IMRT Radiation Treatments 66 gy 11-25-14
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Anytime you need anything.... We're here... smile

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

So happy to hear you are taking the time to enjoy and support each other. Sophie

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics