Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RN77 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello,

My mother has completed her first week of radiation treatment for oral cancer. Her lower lip is among the many head and neck areas undergoing radiation. She is experiencing a great deal of pain from radiation burns to the inside and outside of her lip. Is there something that works for others out there regarding pain relief? I'm going to ask her doc tomorrow for lidocaine swish and spit and also for silvadene to treat the outside. We tried calendula on the outside and that gave her mild relief. I'm concerned because from what I've been told, this will only get worse and we have six weeks to go.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I need to keep her going. Many thanks in advance.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF!

You have found the best place to get guidance to help your mother get thru the next few months. Being a caregiver isnt easy, we will help you too.

Yes, as rads go on the patient will get progressively sicker with more radiation burns and mouth sores. Ask the doc for prescription magic mouthwash to help numb her mouth to enable her to be able to eat and drink.

Never put any creams or lotions on right before going into rads, it can interfere with treatments. But immediately afterwards pat some cream on. Many have used over the counter Aquaphor. I liked prescription beta val cream but also used the silver sulfadine too.

Focus on what you have control over which is her intake. Every single day she needs a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. These numbers are the minimums! It sounds like alot but for what she is going thru she is burning up calories at a much faster rate than usual. This higher intake needs to continue until at least her first year after finishing rads. By focusing in her intake and pushing every single day to hit the numbers, it will help her to feel a little better and help with the upcoming hard weeks.

Hang in there!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy