Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Sheez. Spoke too soon as usual. Spitting up blood last night. Woke up early this morning, checked again, blood throughout spit. Wow. Thanks for all of the replies. I'll be sure to update when as things progress.

40 y.o., undiagnosed, spitting up blood past 4-5 months at random intervals, several enlarged lymph nodes under chin and neck, biopsy of one showed benign viral lymphadenopathy. Still being monitored by ENT.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

You're doing well, keep calm and let the medical investigation run its course. Eliminating the possibilities can take time to diagnose. Keeping yourself calm while that's going on is very important, otherwise you end up adding anxiety symptoms into the mix.

Don't compare with Uptown's blood spitting, he's a unique case. His doctors are frequently baffled at the medical miracle he's still with us!

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
OP Offline

Much thanks for the replies everyone. I thought it would be prudent to post a reply since someone else might find this thread useful. Anyways, I went to the ENT yesterday. In hindsight, I feel that maybe I should have went outside their practice to another ENT practice group. The ENT I saw was very nice, affable, and thorough. But, he said he is basically a clone of my other ENT who did my biopsy. They trained in the same place, and they basically follow the same protocols. Anyways, he checked my lymph nodes, and he basically said that although they are definitely palpable, he would not worry about any of them. He also said that since my last biopsy was benign, that furthered cement his view. He then asked about the bloody sputum. He thought it could be an arterial malformation. So, he did a scope. He didn't see anything. He also reached into the back of my tongue. Didn't feel anything. He said the next time I start spitting up blood again, to call in to his office and schedule an appt that very day with him so that he can locate the bleeding.

Anyways, I'll update the thread at some later time. I've had this blood in sputum thing three times in the past 2 months. So, it will probably happen again soon. By the way, he thought that it was probably just light bleeding, like bleeding from the gums. But, I assured him that it was quite a lot of blood, and there was blood clots in my spit and streaks of blood throughout. Fortunately, though, I'm spitting clear again the past day and a half now. *knock on wood*

Again, much thanks for all of the responses. They were helpful and pushed me towards the right direction.

40 y.o., undiagnosed, spitting up blood past 4-5 months at random intervals, several enlarged lymph nodes under chin and neck, biopsy of one showed benign viral lymphadenopathy. Still being monitored by ENT.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Well that's good news -but I would maybe try and correlate anything you may be eating or drinking that could possibly cause and issue? Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thanks for the response, Cheryld. I will try to look for more blood in the future. But, what's really unnerving me is all these new firm lymph nodes. I just found another new one today! A really small one along my jawline close to the ear. I will see my regular ENT again on my routine follow up and mention all of these new issues. Maybe I'll push for another ultrasound.

OP Offline

Ok, I think I've finally figured out where the blood is coming from. The blood spitting is getting much more frequent. I am spitting up blood almost every other night. It seems to start coming up when I lie down for a few hours. I was using a curved tongue cleaner wrapped in some tissue paper these past few months to figure out where the bleeding was coming from. I was able to get it WAY back into the throat and touch my epiglottis. Yeah, my gag reflex is pretty good. Anyways, I would rub it along the tonsils and tonsillar crypts. I would swipe the back of the tongue along the right, middle, and left sides. I couldn't find anything. Well, last night, after I was spitting up quite a bit of fresh red blood, I started reaching way deep near the tonsillar crypts with my tissue wrapped contraption. Near the back of my tongue along the border of the right tonsillar crypt, I brought up quite a bit of fresh blood on the tissue paper. I kept doing it for 10 minutes bringing up more fresh blood. It eventually stopped. But, wow. That was pretty alarming.

I have another appt. with the ENT on the 18th. But, I'm going to try and schedule one next week. At this point, with all of my symptoms, I think I should expect the worst and hope for the best. But, I don't know what the ENT will plan on doing. He may just try to scope me again and find nothing. Personally, I want him to ultrasound the other lymph nodes, take FNA biopsies, and I dunno, what else can we do? Would a CT scan help? I don't see any tumor like growths back there. Would a PET-CT scan be considered way overboard? I've heard of people getting these before an official cancer biopsy is made (supposedly, they do this to help guide where to do the biopsies). I just need some suggestions to formulate a plan with the ENT. My feeling is, these guys are now swimming in the deep end with me and are kinda clueless on the next steps. Seriously. One of the ENT's thought one of my lymph nodes was an ingrown hair! The most recent one thought the bleeding was either caused by a AVM (which is kinda absurd) or from my old tuberculosis.

Suggestions are much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics