Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Is there anyone out there who can speak to this subject? I have been fighting an abscess infection for over a month now. 3CT scans and drainage surgery, multiple antibiotics--all of which I have taken previously and tried to urge dr to be more aggressive, now find out there are more than one cavity, joined. Sent home from hospital on same antibiotics, irritating myself. In thru drainage site on neck thru to tongue and other areas of mouth. Today swelling and fluid pockets expanded to under drainage area and pushing on throat more. Seeing surgeon Wednesday early. Calling tomorrow to make aware of development and let them know I want to know why no one picked this up on scans or from symptoms. I also expect results this week. Whether that means surgery doesn't matter to me. I have been in a lot of pain for over a month, meds don't touch it. School started and I told dr how important it is that I return to work (work in elementary school) because we have had no financial help and are tapped out. I feel like my medical issues are just not that urgent to drs. I am being treated at a very high profile hospital and both my family and I cannot believe that this is happening. I would really like to hear from someone who has had a similar problem and how it was resolved, and how long it took for resolution. Thank you for any input, advice, and information on this topic.

1/14 White spot on tongue
Stage 2, SCC
Surgery 3/7/14 & 3/31/14
Hemiglossectomy with Neck Dissection
Right Lateral Tongue, flap from wrist, thigh graph
Trach and dophoff for several weeks
1st PET scan 7/16/14--results, disease not entirely excluded,
direct visualization recommended and done.
Scheduled MRI for 6 wk follow-up
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I had an anal fistula. Nasty things, required two surgeries because the first one didn't work. I don't believe fistulas are straightforward surgeries. I had to go through an uncomfortable period while the surgeon let the symptoms develop. Sometimes giving the symptoms time to develop is necessary to pin down the problem. I'm sure the surgeon will have a clearer picture on Wednesday.

Is it connected to the SCC surgery or did the fistula develop separately?

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
OP Offline

I'm not really sure how it developed. One of the residents did say, when my husband asked if stuff was supposed to spurt out my tongue when irrigated, that no it shouldn't do that. So, I'm thinking it may have developed after the PET scan since that is when I started having pain in tongue and floor of mouth, roof of mouth, and ear all in surgical site. One of the on call drs did say it is a salivary gland space that didn't close up. So I guess it may be from SCC surgery. I'm hoping that if I have surgery to correct, that it is successful the first time and not as extensive as the cancer surgery. If the surgeon was aware this was developing into fistula, I wish he would have explained so I could have prepared myself. I feel extremely weak and vulnerable. Not at all prepared. Very depressed about whole situation. Oh well, whatever needs to be done, must be done. I just want to move forward finally. Have to try to think positive and get my strength of will back. Thank you for responding and I hope to have some kind of resolution tomorrow. Glad for you that your results were good in August!

1/14 White spot on tongue
Stage 2, SCC
Surgery 3/7/14 & 3/31/14
Hemiglossectomy with Neck Dissection
Right Lateral Tongue, flap from wrist, thigh graph
Trach and dophoff for several weeks
1st PET scan 7/16/14--results, disease not entirely excluded,
direct visualization recommended and done.
Scheduled MRI for 6 wk follow-up
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Zia it does sound similar. A second go with the new symptoms give the surgeon a clearer idea of whats going on and how to fix it. Keep your chin up, a positive outlook is very important to your recovery, and I have a good feeling about yours. Let us know how you go.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Are your salivary glands swollen? Mine are, under tongue and inside both cheeks. My 2 doctors said this is from treatment. Im only 4 weeks out. Since i am eating by mouth, this is when they swelled. Plus the terrible dry mouth. Have a salty taste cokin from them. Is this what you have?

Tongue Cancer
1/2 tongue removed, replaced by flap from forearm. April 15, 2014
neck disection, 1 lympnode involved, doctors removed all to make sure cancer is gone.
30 rad treatments and 2 cisplatin chemo, doctor said I did not need the third
one. Finished up July 30,2014
Chemo treatment was my choice. The board felt surgery and radiation was plenty to take care of my cancer.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

it's very hard to heal this sort of thing. The problem is it's an open wound in a wet not too clean place - infection is often the norm not the exception and they tend to get bigger if not dealt with. Sometimes packing it will help to promote healing, but that is dependent on size.

Your surgeon will likely suggest surgery of some sort.

I'm also going to suggest asking about HBO treatments to try and heal the area, and diet.

I know it sounds weird. (not the HBO - the diet part) but you have two issues at this point. 1) infection 2) poor healing - and both can be related to a weakened immune system.

Don't forget your body has spent some serious energy fighting cancer, and then healing from your surgeries.

I'm not suggesting hocus pokus or anything. Just take a good strong look at your diet, is it high in sugar and processed foods?
Try taking a daily vitamin, upping your protein (using a NON animal based protein - eat meat if that's the norm for you but if you are adding more protein try doing it through legumes, veggies, and beans). This gives you a well rounded diet and is actually good for you. I guess what I'm saying is eat healthfully - fresh foods, lots of veggies, minimize processed, sugar and chemical laden foods. Walk or do deep breathing exercises to help increase O2 intake. I will help you feel better and boost your immune system.

If you are already a super healthy eater try adding more greens etc...

Finally if HBO is not possible, then try brushing your teeth after every meal, and rinsing. keeping the area clean will help minimize the infections ability to spread.

Hugs.

Last edited by Cheryld; 09-09-2014 10:12 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics