Must go back to the sticks. Still haven't done it a whole day after the good advice I got here. With a massive stretch I can almost insert two fingers between my teeth, one sideways and one flat. Keep trying, keep trying.

I'm attending a monthly support group for head and neckers as well as a five week programme for patients who have just finished reasonably successful treatment for a variety of cancers. In both groups there is an expressed need for more emotional support after surgery. Some think it should be meds, others just any support. One young mother who had a mastectomy in a flash private hospital said she was in tears for two days and got no real help.

I was surprised because I thought that breast cancer groups are so widespread that there would be former patients automatically making hospital visits. I've seen that in a medical ward when I had ovarian cancer but I suppose surgical wards are different.

I'm really in favour of studies like the one you mentioned Christine. A small input of support can make a huge difference to how the patient feels.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.