Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Carol and welcome. In answer to your question about lying flat and choking/vomiting. He'll probably know that by now when you put the mask on you have to put yourself in another place. You need to mentally clear your mind of whatever the symptoms of the day are, and suck it up for 15 minutes. When I put the mask on, I saw my reflection in the machine and I was someone else. I was a cancer fighting superhero and the mask was my armor. Sounds silly but it worked for me.

I missed the 3rd cisplatin. Its not a big deal, but if he can manage it it is beneficial. The reason so many people get out of it, by week 7 you usually have one or more side effects that make the 3rd dose unviable. Mine was tinnitus. The first two doses gave me quite a distressing amount of tinnitus, and the third dose would have made it worse. Its permanent, but doesn't affect everybody the same.

Of course its preferable if you can get the third dose in, but ultimately its a decision for your husband in consultation with your doctor. But if he can't get it done for whatever reason, don't beat yourself up over it. The decision is made for the right reasons at the time, and second guessing the decision later won't help.

No cancer journey is the same but I think as you've seen here many of us have been over the same bumps. Keep the chin up, its very contagious when it drops! Best wishes to you both.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I drove myself 40 miles each way to/from Moffitt to get my radiation, etc. Towards the end of Tx I would occasionally have to pull off the hwy and toss my cookies and I even would have to visit the bathroom at Moffitt right before I was called to the table. At first I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to get thru the rad session and I really didn't want to make a mess on the table but for some reason, maybe as Dave says "you have to put yourself in another place", once I laid down the nausea was replaced with other feelings and I never had to stop any rad session.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Thanks all. I read all about the Fentanyl patch before putting it on him and your advice is ALWAYS taken into account. He's on the smallest dose, 12 mcg. and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. He seems to be handling things very well, so far. I am watching him carefully for any ill effects. Truth be told, I listened to his breathing all night last night. He has had constipation issues for a while now. I mentioned it at his rads appt. today and they gave me a "constipation protocol" that he is to start this evening. Do any of you have any products that worked better for you than others? Thanks again!

Carol
Husband diagnosed SCC BoT 4a-June 4, 2014
Mets bilateral lymph nodes
HPV positive
Tx started June 23, 2014
Blood clot in cephalic vein of right arm after first chemo
2x Cisplatin (hopefully getting in 3rd)
35 IMRT (hopefully complete on Aug. 12)
third Cisplatin cancelled
Last day of treatment Aug. 12, 2014
PET scan Nov. 10-NED (some PT inflammation)

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Glad to hear he is accepting the pain relief. There are a number of traditional treatments and medications for constipation. My own experience with constipation was very slight. I did get some pills but the problem was fleeting so no idea if the pills helped much or things just got unclogged. Good luck.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com