Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JGD99 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I'm scheduled for 33 doses of radiation and three doses of Cisplatin. I had my 2nd dose of Cisplatin last Thursday, and it was more nauseating than the first. I just had my 18th dose of radiation, and only now realized that the "hot head" feeling must be from the radiation. Since radiation started, I would experience a hot head, which I could cool with my own fingertips (though a towel or ice worked better).

Good news is 1.) I am still eating, though food mostly tastes like nothing. Chicken soup still tastes tolerable, but most food is a grim slog to get through. 2.)No swallowing difficulty yet. 3.) No big pain to date, beyond the chemo nausea and the hot head and fatigue. 3.) still have a full head of hair, FWIW.

Bad news is I lost 8 pounds, mostly from nausea of 2nd chemo dose plus the loss of almost all flavor.

Do they still make Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC? I could not find it on Amazon. I have some Ensures, (only 350 cal) but they taste so much better than the Boost VHC. Though I cannot taste most sweet flavors, that Boost VHC was sickeningly sweet.

Although I know it's very personal, are there foods that remained tolerable some can recommend? My mileage may vary, but I won't know till I try. Someone said pickles, but the kosher dills I tried flatlined.

Thanks, all,

JD

PS I had a brief constipation issue from the drug ondansetron. I won't take that one again-- I prefer the nausea.;-) I do also have compazine which does not have that side effect.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,
HPV p16, Stage 3N (6/14) Occult origin;
58 year old male 35 rads & 2.5 doses Cisplatin chemo 7/10/14> 8/25/14
1.5 years clear of cancer, at this point.

"This, too is part of Life's Rich Pageant!"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

JD, my thoughts are with you all the way. You've got a terrific attitude and I know you're going to get through this and come out the other side.

In fact you're doing better than I remember in terms of eating progress, so keep at it!

As to individual foods... I was strictly on the liquid nutrition, couldn't handle anything solid after a couple of weeks. Once I got back on I was eating vegetable soup and maybe oatmeal. But I'm a vegetarian.

Please keep us posted on your progress all the way.

Courage!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

JD Odansetron is one of the constipating ones, but there are others. I found Pramin worked for me. Keep on top of nausea and constipation, and be very conscious of them interfering with you nutrition and hydration. We will harp on about it but its critical to keep your intake up.

Food is a funny thing. I found a couple of things worked for me. I had to visualise eating it, geting it clear in my head that this thing was ok to eat and wouldn't hurt me. I had strange cravings, they came and went. I found things that always taste the same were good. Like KFC potato and gravy, or a hotdog (minus the bun). Every time you've ever had one of those they have always tasted the same, and when it smells right and looks right you can sometimes override the taste that says its not right. Chicken and corn soup was a staple for me. Experiment with different things, you'll have some setbacks but the little victories will make life better than forcing down Ensures all day.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Carnation VHC has been replaced/renamed to Boost VHC and it's available online. I never lost my sweet taste so to me even the Carnation IB VHC was sickeningly sweet. But then every thing made me toss my cookies smile. I would have to go to the bathroom, cut any lights off, pinch my nose, close my eyes and gulp a can down and then cover my mouth while standing over the sink and hope it stayed down.

Re your other comments about how you feel after Cis #2, you are unfortunately NORMAL.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Cisplatin does not cause hair loss. If you have an issue with constipation and nausea, let your doctor know. There are other anti-emetics that they can prescribe instead of Ondansetron.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
JGD99 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks all. @Gloria, my MO told me I would lose my hair from the Cisplatin, and I have had very minimal hair loss (maybe 5-10%) which I thought was from it.

I am having hearing side effects, some little airplane like pressurization fizzles, that sort of seem like a ten second tinnitus, then stop. I had hearing tested, and showed a deficit at highest range (which might have preceded the treatment-- I have no baseline). I also am experiencing a little neuropathy, like losing grasp on a water glass, for instance. I've told my MO and am heading for hydration today.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I used Ensure High Calorie, which was about 500 calories each if memory serves. Still, because I was continuing to lose weight my nutritionist said mix in a pack of Carnation Instant Brekfast with each one, it would add an additional 250 cals. I tried it once, couldn't stand it.

A daily stool softener helped with the constipation nicely.

It's great that you can still eat some stuff; by about week 3 or 4 of rads I was on an Ensure only diet. It got me through treatment, but I'll probably never drink another one.

Keep fighting, you will get there

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Definitely tell your chemo doc re the hearing issues as Cis can have that permanent side affect. I spoke up too late and I have hearing issues which will never improve due to Cis. They may switch you to Carboplatin which is supposed to be just as good as Cis but doesn't cause hearing loss (yeah just go ahead and ask that obvious question) or just forgo the 3rd chemo.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Its very important to have a discussion with your physician about your hearing issues, prior to getting any more doses. Cisplatin is known to cause permanent hearing loss.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

It is also important to mention the neuropathy. We met another patient at the hospital who developed really bad neuropathy from Cisplatin. If he is not intently looking at the piece of bread he is holding, he will just crush it without being aware of it. It seems to me that the neuropathy may get worse over time, so let your doctor know early.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

JG,

I am glad you are handling Cisplatin (tolerably) well. Be on the lookout for the side effects they warned you about, though (hearing loss, tinnitus, etc.) as they may come on suddenly and should be addressed immediately.

I lost about 20 pounds in total during my treatment and have lost another 10 since due to persistent nausea/vomiting issues so listen to these fine folks and keep doing what you can to keep your weight up.

I found that unprocessed foods (cabbage, plain beef, cucumbers, watermelon) held their flavor tolerably well although any sugars burned my throat and even these sorts of things kind of changed flavor a bit. For example, beef tasted mostly like beef, but a little less so -- at least, however, I could eat it without feeling revolted. That would be my advice.

I had a similar problem wih pickles and still do -- they taste rubbish to me -- metallic and chemically -- a guy I saw every day in treatment said he still loved them -- guess it's an individual thing.

Hang tough and listen to these folks -- they helped me get through -- you're living the journey and you will make it through to the end.

The Hellion

P.S. sounds like you have a very positive attitude.

SCC Base of Tongue
Diagnosed 3/5/2014 T2N2C
PEG Installed 3/19/2014
Chemo/Rad 3/27/2014
1x Cisplatin, 4+ TaxoCarboplat + 33 * 70 gy
Chemo FINISHED 5/5/2014
Rads FINISHED
PEG tube removed 10/08/14
Back to work 4 Aug full time
1/19/15 - diagnosed mets to lungs
7/17/15 began Pembrolizumab clinical trial demitted October 2015
1/14/16 began Tremi-MEDI trial
-This far, no further! On ne passe pas!

**update** passed away 3/26/16 RIP, you will be missed by many
JGD99 Offline OP
OP Offline

@Gloria-- my neuropathy works the other way. I'm holding a mug of coffee or pint glass of water and it will slip through my grasp easier than it used to.

However, the prevailing opinion from my nurses is that Cisplatin related neuropathy often fades away after treatment. My MO has adjusted my last dose to 2/3rds of the other two.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,

I am ten months out from treatment. Stage 4 HPV positive tonsil cancer. My treatment was Cisplatin and 6.5 weeks IMRT.
Personally, the end of treatment and the month or so following was the worst time for me. I was able to gag down Ensure and Ensure plus. Water tasted swampy which I think was just the result of my burnt nasal passages due to the radiation. Fuji water seemed the least offensive plus the natural silica helped to lubricate and keep my throat from drying out too much. Stay hydrated, very important. Take a probiotic, they are available in pill form and easy to swallow. I did not get enough nutrition and I went in once between the Cisplatin treatments just to get a hydration IV. Protein supplements and dextrose were mixed with whole milk and vanilla frozen yogurt with chocolate syrup just so I could get enough calories and nutrition (plan ahead, I always seemed to be a week behind trying new sources of food). For me, the Ensure just became unbearable. Try not to smell your "food" while eating. Plan on using a humidifier, dry air is painful. Keep a daily log of your calories, protein and medicines to help you focus, plan and keep your spouse happy.
So far, I am cancer free. Taste buds are still off. Lymphedema is gone. Swallowing is requiring less water consumption. Chew sugar free gum, it will help with the reduced saliva. I didn't need to shave for quite some time but the hair on your head should be fine. Another plus is that I think the radiation killed the herpes virus that was causing my recurring fever blister.
Best of luck
(P.S. I watched the Food Network while I was starving, crazy diversion)
Steve

6/5 ENT visit
6/11 FNA biopsy on lymph node
6/13 DX T2N2b stage 4 SCC on right tonsil metastasis to lymph nodes on right side
7/8 first chemo using Cetuximab
8/20 radiation oncologist initial visit
8/21 dental clearance
Cisplatin and Radiation starting Sept 9
JGD99 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I compleated my radiation & chemo and now have one more hydration tomorrow. The radiation presents an occasional "flaming pain"-- quite regular in beats to pain (thump /thump/thump). That's when I turn to Roxicet rather than ibuprofen. I am also using Silver Sufiazide a few times a day (as well as Eucerin/Aquaphor in between). All but tank tops are hard to wear for the abrasion they put on colarbone, etc.

My chemo sickness is abating, and I have kept up with miralax to keep the pipes moving to good effect. Now it looks like the challenge is to find food that is tolerable and edible. I will put a separate post up about that.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users