Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183309 07-12-2014 10:15 AM
CathyS Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello to all! This seems like a great community, and while I am not happy to have to join it, so glad it is here!

I am new to the wonderful world of oral cancer and trying to learn as much as I can and what to expect. Of course everyone's experiences are different but I'm sure they all have the same underlying factors.

Anyway, my name is Cathy and I just turned 50. For a couple months I had a sore on the side of my tongue but chalked it up to a rub against a sharp molar. Never gave it much thought except it was annoying. Thought it was getting better for a bit but then started getting worse. I decided to have it checked by my dentist and she sent me right over to the oral surgeon. He checked it out and said he's seen enough of them to expect that it's cancerous. He did a biopsy and sure enough it was. He said it was squamous cell carcinoma but I don't remember him saying anything about a stage, and I forgot to ask.

I was then sent to a head and neck surgeon and surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday, July 15th. They will remove a portion of my tongue (he said it was the size of an olive. If they can close it up they will if not then they will do a skin graft from my thigh. They are also removing all the lymph nodes from the left side of my neck. After the pathology report they will decide on the next course of treatment, whether radiation therapy or follow me clinically. He said I would only be in the hospital a day or two, which is so much different from everything I read, so I'm viewing that as a good thing.

So, that's my story. I'm reading everything I can to gain as much knowledge and expectations as possible. You all seem to be a wealth of information and very happy I found this place.

June 2015 - Biopsy of lesion of left side of the tongue
June 2015 - Confirmed SSC
August 2015 - partial glossectomy and left neck dissection
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Cathy, welcome to our site! You will find tons of info and support here.

Im sure your mind is a whirlwind of questions and emotions right now. Its always a scary time waiting for a big surgery.

If you dont feel you are ready to go home so quickly after your surgery, speak up and tell your doc you are not up to it yet. Dont let insurance be the reason you are released so quickly. If possible have someone with you are much as possible during your stay. They are be your voice. Your speech will be hard to understand and its going to hurt to try talking so let them be your voice. If you havent already picked one up, a dry erase board is a great help for this type of situation.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Cathy - welcome to the family. That you are entering a new chapter in your life is an understatement; it will be full of change and result in a new normal for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean it's all bad. There are actually positive things that come from it too. For instance, in some people it allows us to lose the weight we needed to but were never able too. That is a dangerous phrase to say at this point in your journey because from your doctors and nurses perspective and similarly from most members of this forum family, weight loss during treatment is a bad thing and every effort should be made to not lose weight. I agree with that philosophy, but that most of us lose some weight during treatment is I think pretty common. The trick is to not lose too much weight, and losing too much weight is a definite possibility. Still, now that treatment for me is over I very much like the look of the new me (about 40 lbs lighter). I consider my weight loss to be a definite positive outcome from my cancer journey.

Another area of positive outcome is it will definitely make you think about your mortality, something you may not have done prior to cancer (I hadn't). It made me rethink what is truly important in life and to take steps to better communicate care and love for friends and family. As I write this to you I realize I still haven't done enough in that area and need to do more.

Lastly, I consider my meeting and getting to know this family to be a real positive that came from my experience with cancer. Of course, had we not had cancer we would have never looked for or joined such a group. But now that we have we get to see first hand what a group of really caring people this family is; people who will take the time to help you through a rough spot in your journey. They did it for me, a lot, at a time when I really needed it. It's one of the main reasons I stuck around after treatment was completed, so I can help the new members who follow me.

So, on those days when you feel a little down or depressed at this horrible thing that has entered your life, take a minute to realize it isn't all bad. Some of it is actually pretty good.

Again, welcome to the family.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Cathy,

If I were you BEFORE I did anything else I would get the opinion of a Comprehensive Cancer Center nearest you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Cathy,

I to had a sore on the right side of my tongue which I thought was just caused by a bite or rubbing. It was scc as yours. Lost 1/3 of my tongue ( right side) and had it reconstructed. Had a number of node s removed and tested and all were clear. Spent 10 days in University Hospital in San Antonio the end of May. I am now in my 5th week of radiation with no real problems. I have been fortunate as I can still swallow and eat fine (lost taste last week though and that su---) and haven't lost any weight. Don't get the wrong idea here as it is not a picnic but for some it is not as bad as other. Keep a good attitude and you will survive. My radiologist has a new mouthwash that is fantastic - takes the pain away just use it 6 times a day.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23