Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JillieD #183665 07-23-2014 11:43 AM
JillieD Offline OP
OP Offline

I went to see the oral surgeon today. Turns out that the red swollen sore is there due to a failed root canal. So I'll be getting that worked on within the next couple weeks. The white sore, he wants to keep an eye on and check it at least every year. I have to go back in 6-9 months from now so he can check it. He says it seems benign but it may be precancerous and if there is absolutely any change to it, to run back and see him.

33 year old female. Smoked since 14 y/o, just quit cold turkey from the scare. Very light drinker. Sores that won't heal on my gums.
JillieD #183667 07-23-2014 12:45 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

So the oral surgeon did not do a biopsy? From what I read you've had some sores for a few years already. Yes, the red area can be from a root canel, so I'm glad you are getting that checked out. Personally I would not be confortable waiting an additional 6-9 months to get it checked out again.

I was a non-smoker, moderate drinker and developed a painful canker sore on my tongue. I also had a lot of strep throat infections during my life and actually I thought the painful spots was due to strep again (had sore throat and fever). After it appeared (and wasn't really bothering me), I went for my regular dental check-up and cleaning. My dentist at the time did not mention the canker sore or do an OC screening.

When the sore still presisted, and I did some research on my own, and saw the words "cancer" I made an appointment with my primary care physicain. He said he has seen a few cases of OC, but my spot didn't present as any he had seen (plus I didn't have any risk factors). But he suggested I go to an oral surgeon if it didn't go away in a few weeks (gave me some topical medicine to use).

I waited about 1 week and made an appointment with an oral surgeon. I got the same response from him, but he did schedule me for a biopsy. I think he was more surprised than I was when he told me that little white spot was cancer!

If you want another opinion, consider attending one of the many OCF Awareness Events that are held around the country. A list can be found by clicking on the "More Ways to Help OCF" link that should be visible on the upper right side of this page. All OCF events offer free oral cancer screenings by dental professionals and some ENTs. The cost to attend the OCF events runs around $25 and supports a great organization. (Which supports this forum you are using).

You mentioned some issues with swallowing or the feeling os something in your throat. Did the oral surgeon address this problem? I don't believe they cover this issue or examine the throat, but an ENT does. An ENT can scope your throat in your office - an unpleasant procedure, but not painful.

I'm glad you quit smoking! Tobacco use contributes to a lot of health issues, plus it is an expensive habit!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
JillieD Offline OP
OP Offline

The oral surgeon did NOT do a biopsy. Foolishly, I was semi okay with this since it was during work hours and I had to get back to the office. I didn't know if I'd be in pain after the biopsy. I should have persisted with it though. What the OS said was that since I've had that white sore for 4 years and it hasn't changed thus far, it shouldn't be such a concern. However he did also say that white spots are a cause for concern when it comes to oral cancer. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this one. And also, I see that the event you speak of is being held in my state in September. I'm gonna go to that event and walk/run with them as well as go for that free screening. Thank you so very much for letting me in on that info!! Much appreciated.

I did tell him about my problem with difficulty swallowing food and beverage at times, but he didn't address it further. In regards to the biopsy, he did tell me that with how long I'd been a smoker, a biopsy is bound to show some abnormalities on the results. But isn't that what I'm looking for?

33 year old female. Smoked since 14 y/o, just quit cold turkey from the scare. Very light drinker. Sores that won't heal on my gums.
JillieD #183675 07-23-2014 06:57 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Its true that a spot being there for 4 years most likely is benign. However, some sores can be pre-cancerous. The pre-cancerous lesions may never turn into cancer or they could become cancerous after months, maybe even years. I would NOT trust an oral surgeons assistant in this.

As recommended previously, find a qualified ENT and get it biopsied. Only then will you know for certain what you are dealing with. I advise to not push this off. Oral cancer often shows no symptoms which leads to being discovered in the later stages making a successful treatment more difficult.

What state are you in and which walk are you planning on attending? Maybe I will see you there smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
JillieD #183696 07-24-2014 05:49 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

"he did tell me that with how long I'd been a smoker, a biopsy is bound to show some abnormalities on the results"

That ranks right up there with the best of Dumb Things My Doctor Told Me.

Go to a real ENT.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
JillieD Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Christine!

I'm from NJ and will be attending the David Nastro walk held in Andover NJ.

I was wrong to call him an assistant. I didn't hear the receptionist correctly. He's another oral surgeon who works in the office I went to. He is medical and dental and works with a lot of oral cancer patients.

I would like to get this biopsy done just so I can put it out of my mind, ...or if need be, take care of it now, before it may be too late.

JillieD Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi David,

The problem I've been having with calling ENT's is that they keep telling me they will have to refer me out to an oral surgeon to do the biopsy. It's hard because I don't have dental insurance and would much rather the dental office of surgeons I'm most comfortable with, do the biopsy, but they've told me to wait it out and see if there are any changes. I'm thinking of just going back and telling them that I'm the patient and if I want a biopsy, they must do one for me.

JillieD #183704 07-24-2014 06:05 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Just keep being the Boss. This is your body and your life so be that squeaky wheel.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
JillieD #183723 07-24-2014 05:44 PM

Jillie, I always attend the Andover, NJ walk smile Please make sure to look me up. I sit with the other OCF survivors. If you have time, check the Key Staff page, Im the last one. Susan Lauria (the Andover NJ walk hostess) is also part of the list.

Key OCF Staff

See you in September smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
JillieD Offline OP
OP Offline

Christine,

Great to hear. I will definitely be sure to come say hi! smile

Thank you for the info!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users