Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183672 07-23-2014 04:43 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi all. I know it's been awhile so I wanted to check in. Although I haven't had the energy to post, reading these threads continues to help me immensely. I am about 5-6 weeks out from Rads now and am so much better overall. Am off narcotics, mucositis has healed, speech has normalized, and ropey mucus has converted to dry mouth (although I suspect it could be worse; I do have some saliva). I have to say, the ropey mucus was almost the death of me. Worst.side.effect.ever. But it's gone now so am thankful. I never got a PEG and lost about 15 pounds during the worst phase, but pushed myself very hard to drink Boost VHC to mitigate the weight loss and now am no longer losing. I am having a very hard time converting back to real food though. As many have said, I have some taste, but everything tastes odd and unsatisfying. Does this get better? I sure hope so. I also seem to still get nausea and stomach cramps when I eat and don't know if this is left over Rads effect or ? Did anyone else experience this? I'm so grateful to be better; it was a rough road! However this lingering need for shakes is getting to me as I thought I'd be eating by now. I think I just needed to vent but any thoughts are much appreciated smile

Laurie
42 yo
Pediatrician
No smoke, social drink, HPV neg
May 2013 - SCC Right lateral oral tongue - stage 1 (T1N0M0)
Partial hemiglossectomy and sentinel node bx NEG
NED 5/29/13
3/2014 - Cancer back (never gone) in one right sided cervical node
Modified neck dissection 3/2014, N1 with microscopic ECE,39 nodes neg
30 Rads and 2 cisplatin done June 13!
PET in 3-4 months but no clinical cancer and I'll take it!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Glad to hear you are progressing so well with your recovery! Keep up the good work!!!

The recovery phase can be full of ups and downs with a few good set backs thrown in for good measure. Being only 5 - 6 weeks posts rads, you still have a loonnngggg way to go with your recovery. Your sense of taste can take every bit of 2 full years until it is the best it will become. Most patients are doing much better with taste at about 4 months post rads with slight and gradual improvements straight to about the 2 year mark. One day something will taste great and 2 days later after the first bite it tastes horrible or it tastes like cardboard right from the first bite. This will be the norm for your for a few months.

Here is a list of foods that have a softer texture and should be easier to manage when relearning how to eat. If something doesnt taste right today, wait a few weeks and try it again. You really will get there, it just takes time. We are all impatient with the recovery process, it seems to take forever.

Easy to Eat Foods List

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Your recovery can and usually does take every bit of 2 years and at 5-6 weeks out you are really doing fine. I know the frustration of wanting things to get back to noprmal but this is not like recovering from a bad cold. Your body was taken to the brink. You were given a very high dose of radiation and if that wasn't enough, you they threw in 3 large bags of poisoned so sit back and enjoy the recovery. Do continue to pump in those calories. I consumed appx 3000 cals a day for at least my first year and I didn't gain a pound. Do continue to try old favorites because one day they may taste the same as you remember.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Have the doctors checked for any infection in the GI? Is it a certain type food you get cramps from? Constipation? Just some ideas, but maybe see your oncologists, and or GI doctor. Taste will come back, not 100%, but good enough, and takes time.

Good luck

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

Thanks all! It's unclear. Not really eating much food bc of taste; just Boost VHC. Was just Wondering if maybe it was somehow Rads or chemo related, but I think prob not. Have addressed the constipation issue and am off narcotics but could def still be a factor. Anyway I'm really hoping it will just pass -- seeing Rad Onc tomorrow so will see if any insight. And I know I sound so impatient with recovery. I am really working on gratitude and patience; this is just such a longer road than I truly anticipated. Some days are harder than others. I'm actually very thankful to have small kids; they keep me from fully falling apart. I'm amazed that more people doing this do not! Thanks again!

Laurie
42 yo
Pediatrician
No smoke, social drink, HPV neg
May 2013 - SCC Right lateral oral tongue - stage 1 (T1N0M0)
Partial hemiglossectomy and sentinel node bx NEG
NED 5/29/13
3/2014 - Cancer back (never gone) in one right sided cervical node
Modified neck dissection 3/2014, N1 with microscopic ECE,39 nodes neg
30 Rads and 2 cisplatin done June 13!
PET in 3-4 months but no clinical cancer and I'll take it!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Laurie,

The thing to keep in mind is that what you are experiencing is NORMAL. You will have some very bad days ahead, heck some may be as bad as your worse days. Unfortunately that's NORMAL to our recovery. These bad days will be mixed in with good days and eventually for the majority the bad days go away and are replaced with our new normal. Your new normal will not be like your old normal and no one can predict what your new normal will be but do make every new day count as a great one.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Toddlers are a blessing. Their visits have made the journey bearable.

As discussed offline I recommend a few adventures with food. We had family dinner night last night. I pushed aside the bland soft chicken slop the wife had prepared for me and had a go at the tacos everyone else was eating. TACOS!!! Sour cream, crunchy shells! Who would have thought? I would not have had the saliva to do that two weeks ago. Maybe try a few buffet style places? Where you can try a range of different things. Medicate the nausea and keep eating, especially proteins. If your iron drops too much you'll get muscle cramps, your doctor might want to give you a blood test for that.

Every recovery is slightly different, so your mileage may vary. Its much slower than I expected but I was thinking just yesterday that a month ago I was eating boiled rice and milk. Cheer up my friend, you are doing great and have come such a long way. We're not done yet, but brighter days arent far away.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.

Hurray for tacos! Or for anything that wakes up the taste buds. It does help to try different things. And if you find something you like, don't buy too much of it because the next day you might not like it. Each day can bring unexpected surprises, mostly good ones. Re the constipation, my son experienced it like many do but in his case, it was related to meds. Also so many of us get depressed and anxious and need help in the form of meds or face-to-face counseling. I did and I was only the caregiver! It passes. And the moments and days do get better.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics