Next Thread
Print Thread
#183651 07-23-2014 05:55 AM
JGD99 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi,

I'm ten days into radiation, and have had one dose of Cisplatin. I am beginning to feel the dry mouth, but the chemo effects are receding somewhat, though my energy is a bit lower. Still eating fine, and have put on 3 pounds from start of therapy.

My question is about maintaining the depressed immune system. My wife has me using a single washcloth to dry my hands, rather than use a towel that others use. I realize I have to delegate some tasks, like cleaning the filter of my koi pond-- not a good stew for me to wallow in right now.

I usually have a robust immune system, and my MO said for this treatment, the depression of the immune system is a side efffect and not a key part of one's therapy. So what sort of things can I do to help keep it robust, or at least rebuilding itself as I go forward? Probiotics for the gut? (I have been taking these for years) I take a multivitamin. We bought a Nutri Bullet in order to liquify foods, and have a farm share, so I'm doing fruit & greens smoothies, and bought some chia and cashew to further boost these.

Any other ideas (or ideas about what I'm already doing)?

Thanks all.

John D.

Head and neck cancer,
Squamous cell carcinoma,
HPV p16, Stage 3N (6/14) Occult origin;
58 year old male 35 rads & 2.5 doses Cisplatin chemo 7/10/14> 8/25/14
1.5 years clear of cancer, at this point.

"This, too is part of Life's Rich Pageant!"
JGD99 #183653 07-23-2014 06:43 AM
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

You're on the right track there John. Your immune system won't be suppressed during all of treatment, but its safest to assume the worst. You've probably already had briefings to avoid public places, be vigilant about food hygiene, have sick visitors stay away. We had a rule when the grandkids came over they had to use the "special soap" (hand sanitiser) before they could visit me.

You're probably talking to speech pathologists and dietitians as part of the treatment. Mine had me put a hold on vitamin supplements and the like, just to make the pharmacology simpler I think. You won't go wrong with fresh juices and won't need any other supplements. I would keep up the fresh juices as long as you're able.

Sounds like you're doing well. Just keep the hydration and nutrition up, and keep your medics up to date with new symptoms as they develop. You're just coming into the radiation symptoms, keep up the mouth washes and sorbolene the neck after treatments.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
JGD99 #183655 07-23-2014 07:17 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There is no scientifically proven way to improve the immune system, but lifestyle changes, diet, and others factors may in theory. One thing is an infection can set you back, especially with a compromised immune system, such as cancer, and rapidly progress, have a domino effect, which happened to me after 5 days of chemo only.

As far as Probiotics, there are positives and negatives aspects. In infants, and people with a compromised immune system, like cancer, they may not be advised, and can do more harm than good. In healthy people it may be ok as long as their stored properly, not expired, and has a certain amount of good bacteria.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/6/1256.full

As far as vitamins, you may want to check with your doctors before using. Some, like antioxidants, may interfere with treatment by protecting cancer cells, and not recommended in certain cancers like lung, prostrate, with vitamins A, E. Vitamins are either fat or water soluble, so put added stress on the already stressed organs and fat souluable vitamins can build up to dangerous levels with vitamins A,D,E, K. A healthy diet of natural foods, mainly fruits vegetsbles, and adequate protein, is better. One should work with the CCC dietician or nutritionist.

http://oralcancernews.org/wp/antioxidants-may-cause-more-harm-than-good-in-cancer-patients/

Here is a laundry list of style changes, diet, and infection controls that may help.

Adequate sleep
Avoid stress
adequate diet, mainly fruits, vegetables
Light exercise. Too much weakens the immune system
Control blood pressure, diabetes other co-morbidities
Avoid Infection by avoiding public exposure, sickness, use PPE (personal protection equipment) mask, gloves, wash hands with soap water
Use liquid soap
Use PPE when doing yard work, cleaning Pets or avoid totally
Cook and store foods properly to specified temperature, storage regulations
Avoid raw fish, meats, Walsh hands after touching
Use caution with outside food sources, if using
Don't smoke, need we say that lol.
Don't drink alcohol
Change tooth brushes often
Don't share bath cloth, towels, soap, again use liquid soap
Use an electric shave or don't shave at all

I hope this helps.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

JGD99 #183657 07-23-2014 07:44 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

This is a very interesting subject.

I had my white patches on my tongue for almost 15 years, with no trouble at all, until:

December 2011: I caught norovirus at work, then a few weeks later the patches changed shape. (Biopsy was negative).

June 2013: I again caught norovirus at work, then a few weeks later the patches "exploded" into life, ulcerating, eroding, necrotising... this time it WAS cancer.

And the rest of the story is in my signature!

Just makes me wonder if it hit when I was at a low ebb, in some way.

Mar 99 white patch tongue
Dec 11 white patch changed shape. biopsy neg
Sep 13 white patch ulcerated. Biopsy
Nov 13 diag Tongue SCC T2N2BM0 poorly Differ.
Dec 13 Hemigloss. neck dissect.Trach.Caldwell Luc (suspect cysts inside face, neg), teeth out. forearm flap, abdo graft
Feb 14 PEG tube
Feb/Mar 14. 30 x radio 60gy Grade 3 Mucositis, burns, hair loss, very ill. Nerve damage ear neck shoulder
Jun 14 *now* PEG out. Have lost 98 lbs in 1 yr. Anorexia. Dysphagia, liquids only. Dysphasia. Fatigue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23