Page 1 of 2 1 2
#183421 07-16-2014 02:38 PM
Estelle Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Well, I was sent for an ultrasound on what we all thought was a "clip" in my neck leftover from the neck dissection: a small, hard, mobile lump in the scar.

It wasn't a clip.

A fine needle aspiration biopsy was taken.

There is a lymph node "up" in the other (non-cancer) side of my neck. 'Within normal' - the chap said, but then why did he send a 'normal' picture especially to my consultant.

I have to wait 7 - 10 days for the biopsy results.

I know, I know "think positive" etc etc etc....

But the other half of me is thinking about my tumour being poorly differentiated, aggressive, AND in the nodes....

There's no way to second-guess this. Either it is a recurrence, or it isn't.

I'd just hoped I would have longer than 4 months without it coming back.

It's going to be a very long couple of weeks.

In other news, I now have a more reliable prognosis on my TERRIBLY BAD xerostomia. My right submandibular salivary glad ISN'T THERE, presumably removed during the neck dissection. My left parotid and submandibular glands are shrunk. Today's ultrasound showed this. I suppose I can't now expect much of an improvement on this unexpectedly HORRIBLE condition.

Sorry for the negative vibes. I'm still having counselling for PTSD from parts of what's happened; I try to be 'positive' and cheerful for everyone, but sometimes bits of the darkness leak out. Block me if it's a problem x x x thank you for reading my post x x x

Mar 99 white patch tongue
Dec 11 white patch changed shape. biopsy neg
Sep 13 white patch ulcerated. Biopsy
Nov 13 diag Tongue SCC T2N2BM0 poorly Differ.
Dec 13 Hemigloss. neck dissect.Trach.Caldwell Luc (suspect cysts inside face, neg), teeth out. forearm flap, abdo graft
Feb 14 PEG tube
Feb/Mar 14. 30 x radio 60gy Grade 3 Mucositis, burns, hair loss, very ill. Nerve damage ear neck shoulder
Jun 14 *now* PEG out. Have lost 98 lbs in 1 yr. Anorexia. Dysphagia, liquids only. Dysphasia. Fatigue.
Estelle #183425 07-16-2014 03:06 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I had about 10 FNAB. Sometimes I received preliminary results from the pathologist when looking under the microscope, good and bad findings, sometimes some don't say, but in ALL cases, the sample was sent out for further pathology, which comes back in 10 days, although probably sooner by my dated pathology reports I obtain.

There are three major salivary glands, parotid, submandibular, and sublingual and hundreds of minor salivary glands in the mouth, and throat. Maybe see or ask if the submandibular gland was removed or not. Mine weren't in my neck dissections, level ll-V, but could have if level l was resected, which is usually involved in oral cases, not oropharyngeal.

Good luck with the results.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

Estelle #183426 07-16-2014 03:11 PM
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh Estelle, why would you think any of us would block you. This forum is for you and me and everyone else who comes her for advice, comfort and support.
Your new news isn't the best. However there is no definitive diagnosis yet. With this disease our minds take off on a terrible tangent, the trick is to tell it to stop.
This was a little trick a therapist taught me during our cancer journey. If your mind goes to the dark place, let it. But, after a minute yell at yourself loudly - in your head - STOP. Then think of another happier topic. Surprisingly this has worked well for me.
As you work in the hospital system are you able to ring your team in a couple of days for the results? I too am a Nurse and our ENT rang me with Kirs's initial biopsy results and with the second he came to the unit where I work to tell me.
You are right, it's either a recurrence ... Or it isn't. No amount of worrying will change that.
Sending you heaps of positive thoughts and vibes,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
Estelle #183429 07-16-2014 03:33 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Estelle, you are not going to get blocked on the OCF forum for showing your feeling. Thats not what OCF is about! We are here to support each other in both good news or bad, happy times or sad. We are all in this together and we do completely understand exactly where you are coming from. Nobody can be happy and upbeat all the time just like no one can always be sad. Just know we are all in your corner rooting you on.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Estelle #183437 07-16-2014 06:50 PM
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under, Kiwi"

Hi Estelle. I'm so sorry that you are in one of those awful biopsy limbos. It must be a shock after what you went through during treatment. I'm sure we can all relate to your feelings so don't feel bad about that. Where else can you vent to people who understand? What Tammy said about trying to stop the downward spiral of thoughts is something I was advised to do too. Just tell the thoughts kindly to go away after acknowledging them. I've been reading about ways of coping with this sort of stress since my 4th cancer diagnosis. When I was waiting many weeks over Christmas for my latest biopsy I contracted an awful gastro-enteritis that continued for a week. Looking back I think the stress of not knowing made me susceptible to the bug and less able to throw it off once I got it. Not a very scientific observation but it's how I feel about that waiting period. I've also had lots of biopsies where the results were good:)

Xerostomia is much worse than I thought too. I don't have it all the time but right now with a cold and my nose blocked I can barely swallow unless I sip water constantly which then means frequent trips to the loo:)

Wishing you well.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.
Estelle #183440 07-17-2014 04:58 AM

Hi Estelle:
I know where you are coming from. My darkest hour would always be just as I got into bed and before falling asleep. It only took one or two times thinking that way to realize, if you let this continue you may not go to sleep tonight at all.

Fortunately, for me when I go to bed I'm pretty tired already, so the easiest thing for me to do was to just say I'll worry about this tomorrow. Only when tomorrow came, I didn't worry about it. After that, it never came back at bed time again; and for some reason (maybe I stayed pretty busy during the day) it never returned during the day either.

One other thing that helped me a lot was getting to know Bart on this forum. He has had more recurrences than most of us have fingers, yet he's survived them all and maintained a positive attitude AND been willing to share it with others. He has an interesting philosophy about life that comes from Buddhism (I think). My thinking has always leaned that way anyway, he just clarified it enough for it to become a dominant way of thinking. Look him up and read about him on the forum. If you send him a PM and introduce yourself I imagine he will teach it to you too.

You've done fine so far on your journey. Even if this new thing is a recurrence it's just a little detour along your path and you will do fine with it too. We will all be here with you every step of the way.

take care,
Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Estelle #183455 07-17-2014 09:42 PM
ngk Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Estelle, hope you will become secure here and know this forum is a safe place. I took Tammy's advice several months ago when reading it to another member here. Only one minute in my dark place and then pulled myself out and just moved along to other thoughts.
Takes practice, but practice makes progress!

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!
Estelle #183459 07-18-2014 12:52 AM
Estelle Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thank you so much for your kind replies. There is such a store of compassion and humanity here. I am incredibly grateful.

I had a counselling session yesterday with Macmillan (the UK cancer charity, as I was diagnosed with PTSD from all this). We talked about this new lump.

I feel that, on balance, it's quite likely to be simply scar tissue. Fortunately, or UNfortunately, I am a person who needs "evidence" - facts and figures. This is a blessing and a curse, and I know it can make my thinking rather rigid and times. Sometimes it stops me from feeling as hopeful as I could feel.

Although I don't yet have the "evidence" my mind craves, in the form of the biopsy results, I am FORCING myself to at least be realistic, if not 'hopeful', it is highly likely this will not be a recurrence of the cancer. It is more likely, realistically, to be scar tissue.

So that's my survival plan for the next couple of weeks smile

Main thing is, I am feeling generally a little more well, a little more energy, more confidence - and being back at work has helped me with these things. It has stopped me brooding at home, dwelling on myself all the time, although I think cancer makes you a bit like that at times....

In my job, I have 8 hours each day where I *must* think about 12 other people, and the other nurses and support workers I work with. Having the thinking pointing outwards instead of inwards is VERY healthy!

Mar 99 white patch tongue
Dec 11 white patch changed shape. biopsy neg
Sep 13 white patch ulcerated. Biopsy
Nov 13 diag Tongue SCC T2N2BM0 poorly Differ.
Dec 13 Hemigloss. neck dissect.Trach.Caldwell Luc (suspect cysts inside face, neg), teeth out. forearm flap, abdo graft
Feb 14 PEG tube
Feb/Mar 14. 30 x radio 60gy Grade 3 Mucositis, burns, hair loss, very ill. Nerve damage ear neck shoulder
Jun 14 *now* PEG out. Have lost 98 lbs in 1 yr. Anorexia. Dysphagia, liquids only. Dysphasia. Fatigue.
Estelle #183467 07-18-2014 05:50 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Give your body time to recover. We always say it takes every bit of 2 years to reach your new normal so you have a long way to improve.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Estelle #183481 07-18-2014 08:57 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Estelle,

I am with you, if I could carry the sample to the lab and push the tech out of the way, to use the equipment I would.

Don't worry about being negative. When I am feeling down, I come here to peruse other people positive success.

Sometimes writing a commiseration to someone you don't know who is going thru something similar is quite healing in and of itself.

Sometimes writing a post where you actually help or provide encouragement to someone is even better.

You know how those posts affect you correct? Pass it on smile

Brian
Stage IV TxN2aM0 HPV+ SCC 38 y.o. male
9/20/13 Sentinel Node Found
12/5/13 Start of 72Gy and 5 bags of Cisplatin
1/21/14 Treatment Ends
1/25/15 1 Yr clear
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507