Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rajeev Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everybody,

It seems that this dreaded disease is trying to put its shadow over my little 8 year old daughter.

We have received the report today itself whose content are reproduced below:

HISTOPATHOLOGY

SITE
Swelling arising from parotid biopsy for HPE

Received 2 blocks labelled as **** / **

MICROSCOPIC FINDINGS:
Sections from the submitted blocks show a lesion with salivary gland tissue at the periphery. Lesion is consisting of sheets, islands and clusters of dysplastic squamous cells admixed with few cells with pale to vacuolated cytoplasm. Mitotic figures are discerned. Foci of hemorrhage and cystic change are noted.

IMPRESSION:
Features are suggestive of High Grade Mucoepidermoid carcinoma - biopsy from parotid gland

As a father, I am feeling shattered. But, at the same time, I have started bracing myself for the long-drawn battle to snatch her back from the jaws of this deadly disease.

My joining this forum is just one of the steps in the same direction.

The doctors, here India, have taken some time out to discuss among themselves before communicating their final opinion about the future path to taken.

May I request those who see this mail to give their useful feedback/inputs on the basis of aforementioned histopathological report?

Regards,
Rajeev

I'm a Consulting Engineer from India.
The histopathological report (24th June, 2014) of my 8 yr old daughter is suggesting "High Grade Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-biopsy from parotid gland".
Looking to understand this and start the fight for the sake of my little angel.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Rajeev: I'm not a doctor and can't comment on the medical side of this, others will I'm sure. This forum is a great place for information and support and we welcome you into our family.

I'm sending all my good thoughts your way.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome, Rajeev, to the best source of information around.

As a starting point, you can search the forums (using the box in the upper right of each page) for mucoepidermoid. I just did, and eight pages of results came up. You can then read through them to see the experiences of others dealing with this specific disease, and click on their names to get their contact information or to send them a private message.

I'm sure someone will be along to translate the pathology report, though you certainly have identified the critical words.

There's also specific information about mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the main OCF pages, which have a wealth of information that's worth exploring.

I'm so sorry you and your family have to deal with this. Best of luck going forward.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

Welcome to OCF!

You have found a great and wonderful place to become educated and also guided along by first hand survivors. Very few are as you as your daughter and most suffer different oral cancers. But do read up here and visit often as surely a few will have answers and guidance for your specifics. Good luck, Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Rajeev - It is so good that you have found this great place to be. There are many knowledgeable and compassionate people here ready to give you support and information in whatever way they can. Do read up on everything - it will help you to prepare your questions for the doctors or for anyone here. As a parent, I know how devastating it is to receive this type of news. It was heart-wrenching for me when my adult son was diagnosed with oral cancer but with the support and strength of this forum I became the fighter I needed to be and we both survived. You will too. As soon as the doctors get back to you with their opinions and recommendations for the path to be taken, you will be able to feel more in control and can start the fight to help your precious little angel. Check back here often and let us what is happening.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Rajeev, I am so sorry you have the need to join our group for your young child. It breaks my heart hearing a little girl will go thru this battle. We will help you with info and support to get your family thru the upcoming rough months.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Dear Rajeev,

Sorry for you to find this place. Cancer doesnt have respect to mercy that too for a 8 years baby.

Myself Guru from India and last year my wife has diagnosed with MEC (Low grade) at right maxillary (roof of mouth).

She has undergone surgery by Feb 2014 and so far so good.

To give a overview about MEC, it may come to anyone irrespective of age mostly from Salivary gland tumor. And the good part is its mostly curable since my Dr said its an Indolent one. As like you it was shocking to hear that news Cancer for a mom of tow kids but later we started to fight against it. And i found there are lot of examples who overcome this disease. So keep the fight contiue.

Please reach me out for any help in this matter. I am happy to help you.

Keeping your little on in my prayers.

Thanks,
Guru

Last edited by ChristineB; 07-02-2014 07:53 PM. Reason: removed email address

MEC, Low Grade at right Maxillary.
Rajeev Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear David 2, Leslie B, Don, Anne-Marie, Christine & Guru,

Lots of thanks for encouraging kind words. I wish the all the best to all of you too.

I understand that there is no other way but to fight back. All our social support system, like this forum, helps us in a big way to carry on the struggle. At this forum, I am feeling connected with people like you, where we can share our strength and knowledge to each other in this this rough journey of life.

And Leslie, I have already started surfing the specific useful lead give by you.

Thanks again. Please remain connected.

Regards,
Rajeev

I'm a Consulting Engineer from India.
The histopathological report (24th June, 2014) of my 8 yr old daughter is suggesting "High Grade Mucoepidermoid carcinoma-biopsy from parotid gland".
Looking to understand this and start the fight for the sake of my little angel.
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dear Rajeev

I'm so sorry you have to fight this battle. All I know is, you will be strong, the strength comes to you, each day, day after day. You will carry your little angel through this.

It will not be easy, but there is help. There are resources to help you to get through this - including this website.

I have found this site a great comfort.

I don't know if these links are any help?

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/can...erseas/overseas-cancer-organisations#ind

I wish you the very best with this, and send you all the good wishes I can x x x

Mar 99 white patch tongue
Dec 11 white patch changed shape. biopsy neg
Sep 13 white patch ulcerated. Biopsy
Nov 13 diag Tongue SCC T2N2BM0 poorly Differ.
Dec 13 Hemigloss. neck dissect.Trach.Caldwell Luc (suspect cysts inside face, neg), teeth out. forearm flap, abdo graft
Feb 14 PEG tube
Feb/Mar 14. 30 x radio 60gy Grade 3 Mucositis, burns, hair loss, very ill. Nerve damage ear neck shoulder
Jun 14 *now* PEG out. Have lost 98 lbs in 1 yr. Anorexia. Dysphagia, liquids only. Dysphasia. Fatigue.

We're with you all the way, Rajeev.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23