Hi there Bart... I hear you. I get the distinct feeling that this guy is a perfectionist and will likely not be caught with his pants down again. It was with regards to my post op scan - used for planning my rads. I asked him if my scans were clear - he said if there was anything to note - I would have told you. I don't like answers like that as it sounded to me like he was hedging or avoiding so I asked for clarification - in the end he had to admit that he hadn't looked and sent one of his fellows to look. Aside from scaring the crap out of me over my lung CT (the fellow came back and gave me the report on my lung ct) which turned out to be perfectly normal (found this out a year later) he basically said if it's in your lungs your a goner. So then I asked about my head and neck ct and he said that's just so we can design the rads) I absorbed all of this and dealt with it but did more research when I got home that helped ease my mind about my lungs. I did call my nurse practitioner to ask her a question and by the time she called me back I had kind of talked myself down- and I told her it was okay - she said no he wants to see you anyway. I thought he would go on and try and assure me about my lung scan - instead he tells me there's a small node on the other side of my neck hi-lighting (it was very small) so he was rewriting my plan to give me bilateral radiation.

The nurse later said you were pretty upset yesterday - I told her it wasn't about the news (although again he'd scared me about my lung scan) but moreso, I told her I was upset because if that node had been left I could very well be facing a recurrence down the road.
She agreed.

He's still embarrassed around me today. Hopefully I'm a reminder to make sure he reads his stuff before seeing any patient.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan