Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

You guys were my go- to site when I started getting serious about the sore on my tongue last autumn. OCF reminded me what Johnny Bench taught us long ago: a sore that will not heal might be cancer. Thanks for nudging me into early detection, when I still had a pre-cancer.
The support boards have been an excellent resource, too, especially for understanding how "good" cases like mine-- with early detection and comprehensive care-- can go bad.
You've given me the background to reach deep into the professional literature, yet still the patient postings have filled in some important gaps, like how much pain to expect from the surgery I just had.-- surprisingly little, for partial glossectomy and
selective neck dissection.
I feel like I owe it to the posters here to add my story. If one person can glean one nugget of information from me, it will have been time well spent.

Surgical recovery going very well.
PAIN: Negligible pain, with very tolerable doses of pain meds.
SPEECH I came out of surgery speaking intelligibly. Having family around helped me get plenty of speaking practice in. Thickness of swollen surgical area is main impediment for now. I don't sound great, but I can communicate fully.
SWALLOWING: Took first sips of water within an hour of recovery. Worked my way up to full swallows by end of day.
First meal was breakfast, day after surgery. Grits went down perfectly. Scrambled eggs scattered a little in my mouth, so I learned to take smaller bites. macaroni and cheese for lunch and dinner.
Second day after surgery, I ate chicken nuggets. No problem. Just taking smaller bites and chewing with care.
Foods that scatter or crumble in the mouth-- crackers, scrambled eggs-- are more difficult to eat, but are manageable in small bites.
Taste buds functioning fine.
- KJ

T1N0M0
4-8-14 Path report of Perineural Involvement (PNI) Case referred to Tumor Board to
determine need for radiation.
4-6-14 Partial Glossectomy, 9mm SCC, rt lateral tongue
Neck Dissection, Zone I-III 18 clean nodes ... 4 hour surgery, 2 day hospital stay
3-14 CT-Pet Scans clear
3-14 Biopsy Positive Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Right Lateral Tongue
12-13 Biopsy Mild--Moderate Dysplasia Right Lateral Tongue
11-13 Primary Care Physician referred to Oral Surgeon
10-13Tongue swollen and nicking teeth-- painful
6-13 first noticed burning sensation on side of tongue, after eatiing a favorite hot sauce

Treatment Center: University of Tennessee Medical Center, Knoxville.
My Oral/Maxillofacial Surgeon runs the residency program here. Highly published, very active surgeon...does 150 Glossectomy/ disssections a year.

Last edited by Kent Johnson; 04-09-2014 02:36 AM. Reason: added some info about surgical recovery

T1N0M0
4-8-14 Path report of Perineural Involvement (PNI) Tumor Board reviewing
4-6-14 Partial Glossectomy, 9mm SCC, rt lateral tongue, clean margins
Neck Dissection, Zone I-III 18 clean nodes ... 4 hr surgery, 2 days hospital
3-14 CT-Pet Scans clear
3-14 Biopsy Pos Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma, RtLateral Tongue
12-13 Biopsy Mild--Moderate Dysplasia Rt Lateral Tongue
11-13 Primary Physician referred to Oral Surgeon
10-13Tongue swollen, nicking teeth-- pain
6-13 Rt Lateral tongue burning
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Welcome to OCF! Its always nice to hear from people who have been helped by our site. Im very glad this site has been such a valuable resource.

Best wishes with your continued recovery!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hey... welcome... so glad you are doing well. I think my tongue surgery might have been a little more involved but very similar situation. Your story will help the newbies... I gather you are going for radiation. Read up, know what to expect... hugs and take care.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Kent,

You went through surgery the day before me so I am right there with you with recovery and can relate to most of what you said. My surgery was the same length as yours but I was in the hospital longer. Also am still on liquids, but you know, to each their own! I definitely agree that the swelling is the part that gets the most in the way. I keep asking for ibuprofen but so far that's a no go smile.

Hope you are doing even better now! Good luck with everything.

3/2014: 25, no risk factors (nonsmoker, rare drinker, HPV negative) SCC right lateral tongue, T1N0M0 - well-differentiated; surgery - removal of tumor, salivary gland + neck dissection
11/2017 - ovarian torsion
12/2018 - basal cell skin cancer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users