Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi all

So I'm 10 days out from my modified radical neck and will start Rads soon. Probably cisplatin as well, but that is to be decided this week. My question is, has anyone here had even a decent experience with rads/chemo? I've gotten myself pretty terrified after reading all the posts. I'm trying so hard to stay positive, and I know everyone's experience is different, but just thought I might feel better hearing that someone wasn't completely miserable :-). But maybe this doesn't exist?

Thanks!

Laurie
42 yo
Pediatrician
No smoke, social drink, HPV neg
May 2013 - SCC Right lateral oral tongue - stage 1 (T1N0M0)
Partial hemiglossectomy and sentinel node bx NEG
NED 5/29/13
3/2014 - Cancer back (never gone) in one right sided cervical node
Modified neck dissection 3/2014, N1 with microscopic ECE,39 nodes neg
30 Rads and 2 cisplatin done June 13!
PET in 3-4 months but no clinical cancer and I'll take it!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Many have, Laurie, even if everyone is different.

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
Senior Member (100+ posts)

For what my 2p is worth, don't psych yourself out too much reading other people's experiences. I've only started about 10 days ago and I've had some rough days myself, but I am getting through them and nothing, NOTHING I worried about would have changed those days.

Lots of people seem to have a pretty tolerable time of it. It's not fun for anyone, I'm sure, but I have talked to other survivors and it is possible to get through this without experiencing all of the horrors you might see other people go through.

Be strong, be yourself, and ride out each problem as it arises. Ask for advice when you need it and don't be afraid to get help, but don't go in assuming the worst will happen to you. Already In my treatment, I saw some things happen and dodged a couple of others. At the very least, remember that you can and will do this, no matter what happens and in doing so, you will get through it.

For myself, that's been the one part I've handled well. I did the reading, did the worrying, then realized it DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING and have gotten on with the work. I think waiting to start is extra tough and scary, so until you start, it may be tough not to let your imagination run riot. There are a LOT of people here who would tell you this more eloquntly than I will, I'll just say again, plan to fight your fight and no one else's. What comes, comes -- stay strong and beat this thing!!

My apologies if this is a bit out of place. I hope others will be able to tell you about treatment cycles that were nothing like horror stories -- I know those stories exist. I just wanted to share my recent perspective. I just came off of the waiting, worrying game and started treatment and I can say that the pre-treatment journey was its own special brand of difficult. Get through that journey, though, because the real journey -- the treatment and cure journey-- begins soon and I wish you all strength and luck on that journey.

Most of all, take care of you,

The Hellion

SCC Base of Tongue
Diagnosed 3/5/2014 T2N2C
PEG Installed 3/19/2014
Chemo/Rad 3/27/2014
1x Cisplatin, 4+ TaxoCarboplat + 33 * 70 gy
Chemo FINISHED 5/5/2014
Rads FINISHED
PEG tube removed 10/08/14
Back to work 4 Aug full time
1/19/15 - diagnosed mets to lungs
7/17/15 began Pembrolizumab clinical trial demitted October 2015
1/14/16 began Tremi-MEDI trial
-This far, no further! On ne passe pas!

**update** passed away 3/26/16 RIP, you will be missed by many
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Yes, some members are fortunate enough to sail right thru their treatments. The common link in those patients is they pushed themselves with their intake. That is what is in your control and needs to be your focus.

Over the years Ive become a broken record with the following advice.... Every single day you must take in a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-60 oz of water. Getting more in is great and can be beneficial. I cant stress this enough! Every patient thinks its ok to skimp here and there, it wont make a difference in the whole scheme of things. By cheating, you are only cheating yourself. When going thru it, you will have a better understanding of this thought process.

As far as hydration goes, do not stop drinking. The swallowing muscles can quickly 'forget' how to work correctly. Later there will be bigger issues if you stop drinking every single day. Even taking small sips thru out the day gets those muscles working. Ask your doc for an open prescription to get hydrated in the chemo lab. This is an underused tool to help you avoid dehydration and all the problems that go along with it. After getting a couple bags of fluid, you will feel great.

Do yourself a huge favor and try not to worry about what is yet to come. It doesnt help and only gets the patient all stressed out. I know know difficult it is not to be concerned about your upcoming treatments. Stay busy, it really does help. Try taking it day by day and put your energies into the things you can control. By doing positive things and keeping busy it will help pass the time in a productive way.

Best wishes!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I had radiation 5 times, three different types with IMRT, IORT, and Proton Therapy, with over 200Gy, and a number of things factor in with radiation.

Side effects depend on the type of radiation being given, what the dosage will be, called Grays (Gy), the daily fractions, the duration, where being radiated, if being radiated bilaterally or ipsilateral (both or one side), if the salivary glands are being spared, which usually are with IMRT or partially so, if just having radiation alone or with Chemoradiation, the type of chemo, if surgery or radiation was done prior, plus others things that matter. Also factoring in is your current health status, co-medical conditions, illnesses, medications that may effect treatment.

Several things that help get you through radiation is adequate nutrition, hydration, impeccable oral care, pain and nausea control, infection control, neck care, and rest.

I'm not saying worry to death, but you should be concerned or on heightened alert, and start taking some actions, since it's the fight for your life. I read everything I could, had the best doctors, hospital I thought, had a plan of action, even thought of plan B, and C, so I was ahead of the game, even found 2 more cancers before two different surgeries on my own from being diligent, which were then eradicated during the planned surgery. I also thought of my finances, my medical insurance continuation, and if it would be good to change or not, how I would get to treatment, everyday, what resources there were, shopping for food, meals, what your work benefits are, applying for short term disability, Long term, SSDI, SSI, if ever needed etc., so there are a lot to things to think about, some may just be a thought, some items may take more thought, other tasks can be delegated, some ate when needed, depending on the situation, change of situation, to plan, replan again after treatment. I'm just not one to sit idle to wait for things to happen, sometimes you do wait when all can be done until the next phase, but my actions helped me a lot, I believe.

Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Yes I had an okay experience. The "ok" is relative to everyone else's horrible. Was it a picnic...? No. But was it doable? Yes.
Christine is right a lot of it is about intake - know what you have to do, and do it. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.
By this I mean - note what others have gone through and start off working towards putting off those symptoms. For example neck burns... Day one I started applying cream to the area several times a day (never right before rads) from day one I rinsed my mouth out several times a day, invested in a baby toothbrush and cleaned it so that I never had food sitting in there. (I would leave the treatment room - go to the bathroom rinse and spit there and apply my cream. I also cleaned and rinsed after every meal/snack. I yawned repeatedly and did my neck exercises daily to help ward off the tightening of the scar tissue, and stretch my internal muscles and despite how painful it was I took my foods by mouth (for the last week of treatment it was primarily boost - and I made myself drink it.)
I bought club soda, flattened it, drank lukewarm water (cold hurt) avoided foods that burned, etc.. But keeping your mouth clean is very important.
I invested in a waterpik, and a humidifier.

Overall I had a week where I resorted to pain meds.

If you're sensitive to pain... Do stay on top of it.

Think about things that make you feel good (obviously not alcohol or drugs) but things like hot showers etc.. And follow through with them. I also slept a lot.

A lot of what you experience depends on where the rads is aimed as well, I had it mostly on the left side of my head, and bilaterally on my neck, so basically I hurt all over... I had blisters in my mouth and throat.

Bland soups, high nutrient smoothies, soft foods.

Hugs - you will get through it.

Last edited by Cheryld; 04-07-2014 07:31 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi,

Cancer treatments are harsh. Both chemo and radiation by nature are designed to KILL cells. Neither is targeted enough to just get the baddies. Collateral damage occurs, plain and simple.

Waiting is the worst. Wanting to get going and kill the cancer as soon as possible. Not knowing what is going to happen during treatment. What sort of side effects you will have. The list goes on.

Since you are doing surgery first, there will be some healing time before you start chemo and rads. From what I read here nearly all report surgery generates the least side effects and your recovery is the fastest.

Chemo and rads are far enough out to think about later. For the time being, just try to stay calm and learn about the surgery aspect now.

You'll do fine. Good luck, Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
OP Offline

Thanks, all! These replies help a ton. Ive done very well after surgery (11 days out now) and was basically a walk in the park compared to rest, I'm guessing. Ive learned so much on this site; I think Im just learning to balance how to read/learn with reading too many horror stories that add only to my anxiety. I just needed a little reassurance that I will get through it. If all of you have done it, and many more, I know I can and will. I really appreciate the advice re: intake, water, mouth hygeine etc and have already started to gather supplies. I agree with PaulB who discussed being prepared; it gives us a sense of control over at least one aspect of an uncontrollable situation.
Anyway thanks again and Im sure Ill be talking to all of you again very soon. As mentioned above, they will not allow Rads to start for another 2 weeks-ish so I have some time to be normal until then.

Laurie
42 yo
Pediatrician
No smoke, social drink, HPV neg
May 2013 - SCC Right lateral oral tongue - stage 1 (T1N0M0)
Partial hemiglossectomy and sentinel node bx NEG
NED 5/29/13
3/2014 - Cancer back (never gone) in one right sided cervical node
Modified neck dissection 3/2014, N1 with microscopic ECE,39 nodes neg
30 Rads and 2 cisplatin done June 13!
PET in 3-4 months but no clinical cancer and I'll take it!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Laurie,

As others have said, everyone is different. I had RT, but no chemo, The radiation was focused on the right side of my mouth and some of my neck, so my treatment wasn't as bad as many who had their entire throat radiated. I didn't have the thick mucous that many have, and I was able to swallow and took all my nutrition by mouth (no peg). My main problem was the painful mouth ulcers and swollen tongue that started mid-way through treatment and lasted for months afterwards. So I was on a liquid, bland diet for a very long time, lost a lot of weight and was on pain medication for months afterwards because of the mouth ulcers.

Follow the advice others have already given you. Radiation can damage your thyroid, so make sure you have blood work before treatment begins to get a baseline TSH. Also, radiation can damage your teeth, so you should use dental trays for fluoride during and after treatment.

Best wishes!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)

The funny thing for me was that all the nursing staff and the doctors told me I sailed thru treatment and had the best attitude about it of anyone in the last couple years.

Me: you guys must be dipping into the patients pain killers.

Seriously tho, I had some really bad days, but I drove myself to every treatment except chemo days as they drugged me up pretty hardcore on that day.

I thought being young would give me a serious advantage, did not notice said advantage. I found the very last week of rads thru 4-5 weeks post treatment to be the seriously uncomfortable ones. I was on Hydromorphone at the end, never made it to the fentinal patches. and only took the pain meds after I got home from rads.

But all in all, I think you'll find that you can do it, just communicate well with your docs about pain.

Brian
Stage IV TxN2aM0 HPV+ SCC 38 y.o. male
9/20/13 Sentinel Node Found
12/5/13 Start of 72Gy and 5 bags of Cisplatin
1/21/14 Treatment Ends
1/25/15 1 Yr clear
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260