Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178166 03-11-2014 07:24 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I got through my 2 year anniversary and then things happened between me and my family and I got so stressed especially because my mom was the only one who was there for me the entire time has given up on me. I feel like I'm trying to self destruct. I'm drinking almost every day and it's not that I want to kill myself or cause a reoccurrence I just don't get what the point of it all is. If there's no one around to care about me and all I'm doing is going to work to go home to house where no one wants anything to do with me to go to sleep to go to work. It makes me wonder what I survived for.
I'm going to see a doctor because clearly my depression meds aren't working and I think I'm depressed bipolar. I keep having these high happy times then horrible outbursts where I don't even remember what I said or did. I feel so alone.

Large sore on right side tongue. Had for 3 mos. biopsied came back stage 2 well differentiated tongue cancer. Partial tongue removal and neck disect. On feb142012. Rads for 6weeks finished in June. Couldn't speak or eat for 5 months. Clear pet scan dec 2012. Former smoker hpv- 27male. Recent ENT visit said "as far as I can tell you're cured" 💗
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry to hear you are in the dumps but VERY happy to hear you understand depression and are being treated for it. You are 100% on the right track to get back to the doc and get the meds reviewed. It can take a lot of time and experimenting to find just the right thing and over time it is not unusual a change is needed as the effectiveness can drift off.

Hang in there!

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi there,
I don't post on here often, but I try to read all the posts.
When I saw this heading, I felt like I had to reply.

PLEASE DON'T START SMOKING AGAIN. There are many other meds available if what you are on are not working. Anyone who has gone thru the treatment we have gone thru, surely may have some issues with depression. Don't beat yourself up over it, just see a doctor for some help.
But please don't go back to the cigs....I smoked for 40 years, so I know how hard it is to quit. Good luck to you, you can do it, too.

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sounds like you are already trying to do something to help yourself and that's a good thing. Remember this: The most important person that you need to help you is YOU! You must start to help yourself survive because your health and your survival are very important. Drinking and smoking will not help except temporarily, and when giving those things up leaves a void, they need to be replaced by some other positive things and you can get suggestions from helpful places like stop smoking groups and AA. Just talking to someone else will give you the distinct feeling of having a heavy load lifted off your shoulders. Definitely start with your doctor and tell him/her what's happening. Not everyone reacts the same to the meds and often they need to be changed. You cannot change how others react to you, but you CAN make changes in yourself and in your attitude which you have already started doing by coming here and planning to see a doctor! Very often when others close to you see you taking positive steps to help yourself, it will make a difference in their reactions to you. What you see as your Mom's turning away from you may just be tough love and her way of not being an Enabler in what she sees as your self destruction. You are very young and have so many wonderful experiences ahead of you - and as soon as you can start taking care of YOU, you will be able to enjoy sharing with others all the good things possible. So start with calling the doctor for an appointment. Do it NOW! And let us know what is happening with you.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thank you guys for your support. I think I need to see someone about addiction. It's just my mother has been my sole support system and now that she's given up on me I just feel like what's the point. I feel like I'm a China doll trying not to crack.

Large sore on right side tongue. Had for 3 mos. biopsied came back stage 2 well differentiated tongue cancer. Partial tongue removal and neck disect. On feb142012. Rads for 6weeks finished in June. Couldn't speak or eat for 5 months. Clear pet scan dec 2012. Former smoker hpv- 27male. Recent ENT visit said "as far as I can tell you're cured" 💗

Whenever I get down and think there's no hope - and I suffered from major depression for years, thankfully behind me - I think about the real heroes on this forum: the people who have truly gone through hell and are alive, and well, to share their experiences with us. They are my inspiration and my personal heroes.

So hang in there, buddy. Things will get better.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

I hope so. You'd think 2 years out it would be easier to operate normally. But then you find out virtually anything can give you cancer.
For 6 months I wouldn't drink anything out of plastic bottle or bottled water and I'd only drink water put through this zero water filter. It really can drive you nuts

OP Offline

That and the drinking is out of boredom. I get up, go to work, go home to a family that no longer wants me there, crawl into bed, drink and read or watch TV until I go to sleep.
I just keep having these awful outbursts of rage. They're new.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I hear you, and I am very sorry that you are in that space. Many of us have been there, but HAVE lived to see that the sun can shine again.

You need to get to your doctor and explain your feelings. Family - as much as they try - cannot understand what we have been through - they expect that now that the treatment phase is over you are all better. We are not 'all better'. See your doctor for depression treatment - immediately if not sooner.

In my humble opinion, we are never 'cured' of this cancer. It likes to come back, and it is our job to make sure we don't give it a reason to come back. This cancer LOVES smoke, and it LOVES alcohol. Please do not give it a reason to come back. I think your doctor was perhaps poorly educated to use the term "cured". "No Evidence of Disease" is about all we can hope for.

Please ask your doctor for referral to a psychologist / psychiatrist as well as the medication he/she will likely prescribe. Remember that depression meds take a couple of weeks to kick in and you can use that time to eliminate the alcohol and reduce the smoking with a view to quitting VERY soon. Use the patch, use the mist, use whatever the heck you need to - but for YOUR health - you need to quit.

There are online websites to help with quitting smoking and please use every resource available. This is a nasty addiction and even 10.5 years after quitting, it is still something that I occasionally still have to think about.

Try www.quitnet.com - free online quit smoking website where you can commiserate with people who are going through the same things you are going through. Never quit quitting. Do not GIVE the cancer a reason to come back.

Hugs, and please write after you have been to the doctor.

Please go today if possible.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)

So if the drinking is out of boredom, then it would seem logical to do something to kill the boredom. You could start with something physical like regular walking or jogging every day, doing something for someone else or volunteering someplace. Just getting outside and the deep breathing and exercise does wonders for getting oxygen to your brain and making you feel better. Your "outbursts of rage" are not healthy for you nor for those close to you. They could be due to any meds you are on or drinking or any number of things. We are not doctors here, so it is really important to start helping yourself by checking with the doctor about your feelings. You CAN make changes but you have to do them for yourself, not because someone else is telling you to, but because you care enough about yourself to be happy and healthy.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics