Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Well, I had only 2 vaccinations off the HPV virus and it was supposed to be 3 but I refused the last vaccination because I felt nauseous and almost fainting when I received both of the vaccines. Now time went on and I've been okay but I'm worried that my refusal has caused me some problems. I have noticed a small bump on top of my right tonsil and before this was noticeable, I notice flat slightly red lumps on the back of my throat. I don't have any irritation or problems swallowing but sometimes I feel like there is a lot of mucus that I have been swallowing and it has caused a lump in the throat sensation.please sharewhat you think this is thank you for your help.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If the red bumps are there for 2 weeks or longer without going away then its time to get checked out by a professional. I suggest finding an ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer. There are ENTs who primarily put tubes in kids ears so they would not be as familiar with oral cancer.

It could be any number of things going on besides oral cancer. For example, it could be acid reflux or even post nasal drip. The only way to tell is to get thoroughly examined by a qualified ENT.

This is what my doc explained to me when I had my children vaccinated with the HPV series of shots. The first shot will protect the patient by something like 25%, the second one will further reduce the chances of HPV+ illnesses by an additional 50% and the last one will full protect the patient. Of course there are always exceptions. Now if you look at the big picture.... the odds of someone contracting HPV+ oral cancer actually are relatively small. But it is becoming more and more common. Many people walk around with the HPV virus without it ever going on to create any serious health conditions. Its a small percentage of those HPV+ people who will have the HPV virus not clear their system and it will cause them health issues like oral cancer, anal cancer genital warts, cervical cancer, penile cancer. From what my doc explained to me I would say you are 75% protected from contracting HPV so you have a far less of a chance of the HPV virus ever continuing on to become anything serious. Sorry if I was rambling, it gets a bit confusing.

When you go see the ENT, let them know you had 2 out of the 3 HPV shots.

Hope its nothing serious.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi, I'm going through a similar problem at the moment. I have seen 3 ENTs now including one today. The best thing to do is see an ENt that has experience with this type of cancer. The first two I saw have no clue and the third was a young ENT that examined me when I turned up at the ER at the hospital. He was much better than the previus two. Scheduled for an MRI in Two days and a Laryngoscopy soon after. Goodluck, feel free to pm me if you want to chat. I'm strugglung with support at the moment and this forum is proving very useful for that.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Frustration in abundance. Bothers me to hear the lack of confidence in your medical care. I went through similar until I was referred to an ENT who gave me a thorough exam and did the FNB. He was the first to hint that my issues were cancerous. He set appointment with the James Cancer Center before confirming biopsy was positive. Along this journey patience is key. Equally important is information. Online research and questions to groups like this are key. My knowledge base on HPV was zero and this group set me on the right path. Study and always question.

Last edited by JamesD; 03-09-2014 11:08 AM.

Age 55 HPV 16+ SCC, BOT 050613 Stage IV
great team at OSU
Tx 6 weeks of rad started June 3
8 weeks of chemo started May 28
RTOG Phase III trial Cetuximab group.
Treatment completed 7/16/2013
PET Scan completed 10/08/13
Results discussed 10/11/13
NED - Free but am I
Next part of the journey?
1year PET 10/24/14 NED
Good reports now 10 years out.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Glow - welcome to the family, though I hope it turns out you don't need us.

I had tonsil cancer with HPV-16. My left tonsil became quite a bit swollen and my ENT did understand it might be cancer. So, out it came and then 7 weeks of radiation treatment.

If it turns out your's is also cancer you have a bunch of friends and new family members eager to help you get through it. But, most of all what we're all hoping is you don't need us.

take care, let us know what happens either way.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users