Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

I kind of have a similar problem, at Christmas time I said to my mum something is not right in my throat I think I have throat cancer or something. Anyway I finally went to the gp and they referred me for a ct scan, had that and found a swelling on the bot, so then I had to have a barium swallow, which showed the swelling again, they called it a mass in the results. Then I had to have a thyroid scan because I had my thyroid removed when I was 17 and the ent thought it was a leftover piece of thyroid. It wasnt so I finally got a biopsy done and it said it was all clear, but they didn't test it for HPV. So last week I had my second Ct scan and the lump is still the same size but they mentioned nodes in my neck. The ENT thinks its nothing and doesn't seem to care that I'm having trouble with my breathing. I went and saw my gp and he is going to refer to a dr in Sydney so I'm quite happy about that.. I jut wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your worries jj

Ct scan showed lesion on BOT 30/12/13, barium swallow showed mass on BOT 10/1/14, thyroid scan ruled out lingual thyroid 14/2/14, biopsy on BOT 20/2/14, biopsy all clear diagnosed lingual tonsil lymphoid hytrophy. Did not test for HPV. 29/4/14 CT scan on chest and neck, lesion or mass on BOT not changed. 2 nodes 7mm noticed on left neck, 1 tiny node 3mm on chest was noted.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tabi the GP referred you to an ENT, who said it was nothing so the GP is sending you to another doctor? What kind of doctor is the one in Sydney?

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

He is sending me because I asked for a second opinion. He is a ent that works out of st Vincent's. I feel there is more to mine and it want to be certain, it's obstructing my breathing so this ent can remove it, if it needs to be removed. The ent I have been seeing said he would not remove it, he'd send me to Sydney to get it removed.

Ct scan showed lesion on BOT 30/12/13, barium swallow showed mass on BOT 10/1/14, thyroid scan ruled out lingual thyroid 14/2/14, biopsy on BOT 20/2/14, biopsy all clear diagnosed lingual tonsil lymphoid hytrophy. Did not test for HPV. 29/4/14 CT scan on chest and neck, lesion or mass on BOT not changed. 2 nodes 7mm noticed on left neck, 1 tiny node 3mm on chest was noted.
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Chasing Candidas - This is what I plan on doing. I have had issues with it for about 2 years though it hasn't been as bad as lately. Then in sep I got real sick with what felt like a stomach bug/bad flu for about a week. Doc said it seemed liked ARS symptoms and scared me in to thinking I had contracted HIV somehow which in the back of my mind knew it was impossible as I have been faith with my now wife for the past 10 years. That didn't seem to stop my wild thoughts however. At the time I was working 12+ hour and on and off planes interstate every week. Panicking about HIV kept me up most nights googling. I basically ran myself in to the group, lost 10kg (80 to 70) in a matter of 2 weeks which fueled my wild imagination even further.

After seeing another doc for the sore throat I was prescribed a couple of short courses antibiotics. Fungal infections ran rampant and then I developed the mucus problem. Which the docs then treated with over 2 months of antibiotics before the CT and referral to the ENT.

"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Sorry to hear your worrying tabi. I know the feeling all to well. I am a bit better now however, though this mucus things is annoying me still. I feel more relaxed. I still have another appointment with the fourth ENT. While I feel it is probably nothing serious it doesn't mean I'm going to give up chasing it. I have symptoms so that means there is a cause. Just because it may not be treatable does not mean I should not know what it is. That is the same advice I would give anyone.

Your results are very encouraging however. Could you ask for the biopsy to be tested for HPV. I'm don't work in a path lab or anything but I'm sure biopsies are kept on record for future tests if needed. You could ask about that.

Also, with removing the lesion I think the ENT has said this because it might cause more issues that you already have. My reading found BOT surgery can create issues particularly with swallowing and speech.

Last edited by JJMARTIN; 05-08-2014 10:05 PM.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users