Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks Don.

It's been very unsettling to say the least. I have my MRI in a couple of days and a consult with the ENT at the hospital a couple of days after that. I have been told they will do laryngoscopy. I'm also booked in to see a very experienced ENT on the 19/3, Associate Professor Bernard Lyons. Anyone know of him?

Also, should I ask for a PET/CT if the other tests come up clear?

Thanks for your advice that it is not cancer until tests prove it is. I'm starting to switch my thinking along these lines now, besides I have my weeding in less than 3 weeks and not even cancer can take that from me.

Cheers
J.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

JJ - I sent you a PM to answer the question you asked above.

Sorry it took so long to do so.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Quick update. I had an MRI today and also an ultrasound. The technician doing the ultrasound said there was nothing urgent which I assume means nothing serious from that perspective.

The MRI was a bit scary. I don't have the results yet. I was told they will be ready tomorrow. I was originally told I needed to have the IV dye injection but when I went to get the scan they said they will take some images without and only give me the dye if needed.

Can someone fill me in on why they didn't do this? Is it likely because they didn't find anything to take a closer look at? This had been my assumption.

And thanks Tony, got your PM. I'm quite inspired by all the stories I have read on this forum so far. Such positive and strong people.

Cheers
J.

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

HI there sorry I didn't get to welcome you before now.

MRI results are normally available withing 24 hours - as are CT and PETs. NO need to wait a long time for a visit to the dr. Call and ask for the results.

Also your medical system is similar to ours here in Canada. Go to your family dr. tell them your concerns, tell them what you've had done, and ask for a referral to an ENT (one who is familiar with cancer) The down under members can best tell you a good cancer hospital in your neck of the woods assuming you need one.

You are quite young to have HPV related cancer. Usually it happens to people in their late thirties / forties or older. I guess it takes a long time to manifest itself.

Non HPV related cancer is a possibility but usually that is found in the oral cavity. Maybe know this will ease your mind a bit. Regardless you do need to find out what is happening so a good ENT should be your first stop. hugs and welcome and hoping for an all clear.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thanks for the info Cheryl. I spoke with my fiance about it. She is a medical scientist, currently doing her pHd. She was quite good at explaining a few things to me and that the chances of me having HPV related throat cancer are extremely low. She even referred me to CDC data on HPV cancers. See here:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6115a2.htm

Like you explained she also explained that HPV related cancer take time to manifest. Though she said it takes along time to cascade to cancer. She also said that though they find HPV in tumors and call it HPV cancer it is likely that there are other contributing factors (not yet known) that create the environment for the tumor to form.

The ENT at the hospital actually phoned me this morning and told me there was no abnormalities on the MRI which I was told was very reassuring and if there was something the chances it was missed are very low. He did say I obviously have an issue and the cause needs to be found. I guess I will have to keep at it until diagnosed

The hospital ENT told me to keep my appointment with with the another ENT I made a few weeks back which happens to be his boss.

Things seems to be looking positive so far. Will keep this thread updated as things progress.

Thanks so much for your support

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Not sure why they didnt use the dye. I havent had one of those for a few years. I seem to remember the tech adding dye part way thru the procedure.

The CDC link is almost 2 years old so it may contain some outdated info, especially using numbers from 2004-2008. Im not sure if more recent data has been published.

One of the references was Dr Maura Gillison. OCF has worked with Dr Gillison for over 10 years, funding her research on HPV.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

I was also under the impression they would add the dye part way through the procedure. They did tell me that this would depend on the quality of the images.

I'm assuming the images were clear enough to draw a conclusion. In my case that there were no abnormalities. What are your thoughts? I don't know enough about radiology/MRI and their processes to draw any conclusions apart from that they have told me their was no abnormalities. I'm assuming that if something showed on the first lot of images without the contrast they would then inject the contrast dye to get a better image of the problem. Since nothing showed up then there was nothing to have a closer look at.

My partner, who I have been with for 10 years is going for her pap smear and said she will be asked to be tested for HPV. SHe doesn't think she will test positive she has not had any partners before me and I only had 2 which were in my teens.

"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Should I get the CT scan done in addition to the MRI?

I wish I had the background to be able to advise you with this. Unfortunately I do not have any medical training, I only have learned from this forum over the past few years.

Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

An MRI is actually a better image so I am told. I have never had an MRI with contrast it's usually a ct they do with or without contrast. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong. Everything sounds good. Best of luck and do keep us updated.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users