When you consider Dr. Edmund Truelove's study using the Velscope, you realize what an important tool it is in the hands of a trained oral health professional.

I was able to catch his lecture at the 2012 Pacific NW Dental Convention and meet him and Dr. Dave Dean, who was one of the researchers in that study. What they found is that they could only visually identify medium, to high risk dysplasia less than 70% of the time.

This was a shocking figure to me, considering these were "the experts" in Oral Cancers. Now, every dental student working in the clinics at the University of WA uses a fluorescent screening device on new new patients.

I have too many stories of early detection successes that I've had the honor of being apart of to do anything but praise the technology, and expect the use of it on routine checkups.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.