Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Yas25 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone nice to meet you all, I am new here so bare with me as I try and explain my situation

I am a 21 yr old female, non smoker, occassional drinker and in pretty good health. In late Nov/early Dec 2013 I bit my tongue really badly and as a result I got a massive, yellow ulcer and I mean massive. It was bigger than my pinky nail, that may not sound big but for an ulcer...ouch! A few days before the ulcer appeared, the area where it soon formed was sore and I kept touching it expecting to feel a lump or ulcer. Shortly a small lump appeared and then the ulcer came. The ulcer lasted about a fortnight and I was glad to see the end of it. I expected the lump to go away once the ulcer did but it didn't. Its been about 3 weeks since the ulcer fully disappeared and the lump is still there. Around xmas it felt tiny, practically like it had disappeared so I assumed that was it leaving and stopped checking on it.

A few days ago, I randomly felt the side of my tongue where the lump and ulcer was and I noticed the lump was still there along with a second one a little bit apart from it. I don't recall biting my tongue again. The second lump is a little bit lighter than the rest of my tongue and had a yellowy/whitehead on it. Neither of the lumps bleed or are painful.

One day the lumps feel bigger and firmer and then the next they feel smaller but they are both always there. They are located a few mm away from each other on the ridge on the right side of my tongue. Certain ways I move my tongue make me barely able to feel them. Like if I stick my tongue out and make it fat, I can barely feel them and can wriggle what I can feel around like it is a bit of skin or something. Its when my tongue is out normal and flat that they feel the biggest, especially the second one.They can't be any more than a few mm in size. You can't seem them on the surface and I have no red or white patches that I can see.

My mum used to be a nurse, she said its probably scar tissue and if it were cancer, the ulcer wouldn't have healed but I should get it checked out any way. I have an appointment with my GP next week. I am terrified to get my tongue checked, not just because they might say its likely to be cancer but also because I have extreme anxiety and have barely left the house in months because of panic attacks so going to the doctor's for anything makes me nervous, let alone this.

Since I have found the second lump and realised the first one hasn't disappeared entirely, all I can think is "I have cancer" I know that probably sounds silly but its making my panic attacks worse to the point I am not eating and getting attacks in my house now.

Thanks everyone who takes the time to read and reply to this.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Go ahead and get it checked! I have anxiety attacks too. Worrying about the possibilities is way worse than the appointment to find an answer, truly. Mine was a tongue ulcer that would not heal, I was not even thinking cancer, and here I am. Then a spot did not seem to be healing right after the surgeries, and here I am again. It is frightening, but the alternative would be much worse.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Try to relax. Cancer does not change from day to day the way you described what you are experiencing with your tongue. The golden rule around here is "if a sore in your mouth does not heal within 2 or 3 weeks it should get checked by a professional." That means an oral surgeon or ENT who specializes in oral cancer.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Yas25 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi girls and thanks for your replies, hope you are both well.

Sorry to hear that you suffer from panic attacks too KristenB.
I just checked my tongue again and saw there are 2 holes on top of both lumps. They are tiny holes, it looks like a needle has been jagged into both the lumps. The hole is more prominent on the 1st lump.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I'm going to ditto what everyone else said - have it checked. I'm not saying its cancer - highly unlikely actually - however it will ease your own mind. I wouldn't rule out the potential for cancer as mine presented as a lump inside my tongue. But your mom is right cancer doesn't heal. Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Yas25 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Cheryld thanks for your reply. Its comforting to know that its not likely to be cancer. What mainly worries me is the fact I have a new lump after not biting that area (at least not that I remember) and that it is whiteish. I am one of these people that thinks they have a brain tumour when instead, its only a migraine lol.

Opposite happened when I had pneumonia last year though. I kept thinking I just had a cough and had pulled a muscle in my chest, 2 days later I was in A&E diagnosed with pneumonia and several cracked ribs from coughing.

Once again, thank you everyone who has replied. My appointment is either Monday or Tuesday, my mum made the appointment so I'll double check with her exactly when it is and keep you all updated

Yas25 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well.

Just out from the doc's and she said it is just scar tissue. She felt the lumps and looked at my tongue and said its definitely from the ulcer I had a month ago and my tongue looks healthy. I wasn't expecting that. I had prepared myself for "we'll refer to such and such".

I even said "wait, what, you're sure?!" and she said she was 100% positive (bit foolish I thought since you can never be 100% certain til you do more tests) that it was just from the tongue healing. She also said she has treated a lot of oral cancer patients and what I had was nothing like that.

I am comforted. I'm more impressed with myself though because as I stated, I suffer from god awful panic attacks, well I went to the docs myself, sat in the waiting room myself and didn't break down or panic in her office. Sounds pathetic and all of you can do no doubt do it easily but you know what, I'm actually really proud of myself. Proud of myself for going to get checked as well because I usually put things off.

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

That's awesome... do me a favor though... please do keep an eye on the area and if anything changes don't wait to go back and have it looked at. Particularly if there is any pain and redness.
Hugs. and go live your life to the fullest.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics