Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174618 11-28-2013 06:01 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

As the holiday shopping season begins, here's a reminder for any members who shop on Amazon.com. By clicking on the green Amazon box (located on the main forum page) prior to shopping, it will help support OCF. Its very easy to do, please dont forget about OCF when you think about giving to others.

For newer members, you may not know OCF is a very small non-profit. Its run on a shoestring budget and the small kickback from Amazon really does make a difference. The CA office only has Brian, Jamie and Natalie. Everyone else is a volunteer who devotes their time to helping OCF and others. There are volunteers all over the country who do all kinds of things to help support OCF. Using the Amazon link is not just for end of year purchases, it can be used all year long. OCF also accepts donations which are tax deductible. To contribute, click on the blue box on the main page, one of the OCF Memorial Funds, or check out one of the personal fund raising campaigns to make your donation.

If you are able to, please dont forget OCF during the season of giving. Together, thru research, advocacy and support we can help end oral cancer.

Thank you!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #174623 11-28-2013 07:24 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Click on the Amazon box that Christine mentions and, before you do anything else, save it as a bookmark (I've saved mine as "Amazon OCF"). If you start subsequent shopping with that bookmark, OCF will still get the credit.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
ChristineB #174627 11-28-2013 09:45 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Thank you both for bringing this up. OCF's Amazon commission is between 5 and 7% of anything that you buy, costs you nothing but the time to use the right entry point, and it really helps to pay for things like the phone bill and stuff that people typically aren't interested in seeing their donations go to.

We have been an Amazon Affiliate for almost a decade and each year it becomes more and more valuable to us, as people keep it as a link, and email it to their friends, family, and co-workers, building our base of people that use it with routine. The trick is always having the right link available so you don't have to come to OCF before you go to Amazon. One friend who worked at Goodyear (aerospace) sent it to all the employees there at the company with a simple ask letter, and that Christmas we had a huge check from Amazon. Most of those people have stayed with us and the impact is really meaningful. And Amazon has killer prices on most things, so it's smart shopping in other ways as well, especially in there economic times.

Amazon does NOT REMEMBER YOU FROM VISIT TO VISIT, SO YOU ALWYAS HAVE TO ENTER THROUGH OUR LINK FOR THIS TO WORK. When you use our link you will see part of the OCF name in the URL bar when you go there; that is how you know that you did it right.

http://www.amazon.com/?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&link_code=hom&tag=oralcancfoun-20

I thank all of you for considering to do this. We get our mission done through a variety of means, not the least of which are the many volunteers around the country, and simple things like this. When you are small, you have to be creative, and I am learning you have to not be afraid to ask for help.

I want you all to know that this forum and the people in it, are the thing about OCF that I am the proudest of. You are all so caring and giving of your time to help each other through this journey. You see that no one has to be alone on the path, and you have all been so good about putting not only great emotional support out, but quality information from your own experiences that others can use. You are really the heart and soul of OCF.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 11-28-2013 09:49 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
ChristineB #174643 11-29-2013 02:57 AM

I just posted it to my FB page and made sure I clicked on the "public" option so it could go out to everybody and not just friends. I also went to bitty.com and made a short link that they could use that also. Amazon really does have great prices and fast service and great return policy.

Last edited by Anne-Marie; 11-29-2013 03:21 AM. Reason: typo

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23